A&J's First Whole30

malie

Day 15 (Saturday)

Meal #1

- fried eggs over sweet potato hash

- sliced grapefruit

- mashed avocado with lime and kosher salt

Meal #2

- chicken salad from leftover BBQ chicken and homemade mayo, plus cilantro and celery

- on a bed of greens

- strawberries and blueberries

Meal #3

- deconstructed pizza on greens

Saturday included a short morning hike, bridal shower, and meeting our new puppy!!!! (We get to bring him home in three weeks.)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 16 (Sunday)

Meal #1 – 7:00 a.m.

- eggs scrambled with leftover ground beef and veggies

- jicama sticks

- guacamole and salsa

Meal #2 – 12:30 p.m.

- BBQed chicken breasts

- clean-out-the-fridge leftovers time! roasted butternut squash, roasted zucchini and broccoli, raw veggie sticks, poached pears in raspberry coconut sauce

Meal #3 – 6:30 p.m.

Sigh. Ok, dinner was a Father's Day BBQ at my in-laws'. My MIL lovingly and supportively made three burger patties for J and me without any bread crumbs or other non-compliant ingredients, and used grapeseed oil on our side of the grill (which I googled on my phone and the Whole30 forum said was not great but OK in a pinch, and certainly better than the soy-packed Pam she used for the other burgers).

The only problem was that 1 patty for me and 2 for J is a small protein serving based on the meal template and how much we've been eating, so I felt a little underfed. But I had a ton of salad (which I brought) packed with fresh garden greens, cucumber, avocado, red pepper, and red onion, and topped with an EVOO/balsamic/spice dressing. We abstained from strawberry rhubarb pie and vanilla ice cream, and I think everyone was shocked that we didn't have any. (I honestly didn't even want it. The sugar is horrifying to me now, heh.)

Also had to say no to some DELICIOUS-looking burger toppings—bacon and mushrooms/onions fried in bacon fat—because the bacon was non-compliant (sugar for sure and probably nitra/ites too). Dangit. Went for mustard and a lettuce leaf instead, wooooo.

Also also, I feel like people only ever want to talk about our eating habits now and frankly I'm tired of talking about food. But it's good that they're interested, I guess?

Went to bed super early last night and slept in this morning in an attempt to feel better, and feeling... functional today. Not great, but functional. Woke up with a bad headache, but it's passed now, and I've been able to focus on work reasonably well this morning.

All caught up now!

Day 17

Feeling much better this evening, thankfully. (Although J seems to be experiencing an energy dip like I did two days ago.)

Meal #1 – 7:15 a.m.

- poached eggs over yam and jicama hash

- grapefruit slices

- mashed avocado

Meal #2 – 12:30 p.m.

- baked egg muffins (zucchini, parsley, chives)

- roasted brussels sprouts

- mashed yams (mine mashed with ghee and oregano; J's mashed with coconut milk, nutmeg, and cinnamon)

Meal #3 – 5:30 p.m.

- burger patties topped with homemade mayo, mustard, and hot sauce

- leftover salad from last night's BBQ, added some diced tomatoes in

- zucchini and carrot "noodles" – first time making these and they turned out well; I stirfired them in the wok with olive oil, s&p, and oregano (I am all about oregano right now, I guess)

I had a half way slump too. I think it's normal and it does pass.

Lol on the talking about food all the time. I'm sort of sick of it too. Not one person asked about my diet when I was consuming junk. Funny. I normally start with trying to explain and help people understand and then just end up writing down the name of the book and saying "read this and then you'll get it". I have actually purchased the book for my boss so she'll stop asking me about it.

I had a half way slump too. I think it's normal and it does pass.

Lol on the talking about food all the time. I'm sort of sick of it too. Not one person asked about my diet when I was consuming junk. Funny. I normally start with trying to explain and help people understand and then just end up writing down the name of the book and saying "read this and then you'll get it". I have actually purchased the book for my boss so she'll stop asking me about it.

-------

I feel like people are suspicious that we want to make them feel guilty for eating the way they do, whatever that may be. Uh, no, that guilt's all your own, friends!

I've been having a little energy slump too (though this might be because I finally have enough energy to get up at 5AM and exercise, so I've been going to a really challenging class). I'm one of those people who is always busy and not so great at relaxing or sleeping, so I haven't minded my strange propensity to take a nap at 3PM. It's so unlike me, but in general I am feeling more focused and relaxed these days (my husband actually said yesterday "you're so centered" in a quizzical voice -- I think he was a little freaked out). I wonder if part of the tiredness is just your body getting used to being treated right and asking for more rest and relaxation. I am going to try to oblige it when I can!

I've been having a little energy slump too (though this might be because I finally have enough energy to get up at 5AM and exercise, so I've been going to a really challenging class). I'm one of those people who is always busy and not so great at relaxing or sleeping, so I haven't minded my strange propensity to take a nap at 3PM. It's so unlike me, but in general I am feeling more focused and relaxed these days (my husband actually said yesterday "you're so centered" in a quizzical voice -- I think he was a little freaked out). I wonder if part of the tiredness is just your body getting used to being treated right and asking for more rest and relaxation. I am going to try to oblige it when I can!

-------

Interesting! I like that. Thank you for sharing your thoughts; I definitely think that could be a big part of it. Here's to naps, amiright?

Day 18

Meal #1 – 7:00 a.m.

- eggs scrambled with leftover deconstructed pizza (ground beef, olives, tomatoes, jalapeno)

- leftover salad from dinner last night

- fruit salad of orange and apple

Meal #2 – 12:00 p.m.

- leftover egg muffins (zucchini, etc.)

- cucumber, avocado, and tomato salad dressed with lime, cilantro, and kosher salt

- jicama sticks with lime juice and chili powder

Meal #3 – 5:30 p.m.

- New York steaks with Santa Maria spice rub

- baked sweet potato fries

- big ol' salad – garden greens, cucumber, green apple, red onion with Dreamy Avocado dressing from ISWF (YUM)

(Dinner was appreciated by all, including my husband's brother and two cousins who came over. Seems like dudes have an easier time wrapping their brains around this way of eating, probably because of all the BBQing, heh.)

Feeling better today, but I did have another iffy sleep and a tough time getting up this morning.

Also did the world's biggest grocery shop this morning. I have already exceeded the month's grocery budget by 50%, yaaaayyyy. I honestly did not believe eating like this would be SO expensive—I figured since we wouldn't be buying alcohol, treats, dessert or baking supplies, or snacks, or eating out, it would all even out nicely. Not so! After June is over, I will have to cut back on organic produce and the super high quality meat and eggs.

HOWEVER. I found coconut aminos this morning at a new organic market I tried. So I'd consider the day a success.

Day 19

Meal #1 – 7:15 a.m.

Most delicious breakfast ever? Maybe. I made my own creation of Whole30 eggs benny – no SWYPO here 'cause this was WAY better than any eggs benny I've ever had in a restaurant.

- diced and fried sweet potatoes

- fried prosciutto (O. M. G. Who CARES about bacon???)

- sliced avocado

- poached eggs

- "Hollandaise" from Everyday Paleo

My hollandaise left something to be desired in that I left it on the heat too long and it was very thick – more the consistency of mayo than true hollandaise. But it still tasted delicious. We'll be having this a couple more times this week. It's labour-intensive, especially for breakfast, but soooooo worth it. English muffins are for the birds, people.

Meal #2 – 12:00 p.m.

- taco salad – ground beef with onions and spices, romaine lettuce, black olives, diced tomatoes, salsa, homemade guac

- 2nd black coffee of the day

Meal #3 – 6:00 p.m.

- BBQed chicken breasts with creole spice and mango salsa

- spinach salad with strawberries, red onion, avocado, chopped fresh basil and mint, and EVOO/balsamic dressing

- steamed carrots tossed in EVOO, lemon juice, salt, and parsley

Pretty yummy day around here.

Guess what? It's Day 20 and I'm tired of posting the log, so today I shall not.

I will say that I spent the whole day on my computer working (I am a freelance editor) and I DO NOT have a headache. In fact, I have not had any significant headaches since the first week of our Whole30. This is a truly astounding feat. I fully thought that headaches were just a part of my life I would have to accept based on doing computer work all of the time and naturally carrying a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders.

But nope! Nay. Nyet! I am cured. :)

I gave blood today and it was way easier than normal. My actual donation took just over 6 minutes, whereas usually it takes 10 minutes. My recovery has been so much easier as well, no light-headedness or weak feelings like before. I took a sliced apple and sunflower butter for my after-donation snack. Of course everybody had to comment on how I wasn't eating the cookies and juice. :rolleyes:

Another great success!

Day 30 coming up soon, but I am going to extend to at least W45 and likely W60. J will reintro beer and maybe dark chocolate on Monday and see how he feels; otherwise, he'll be eating same as me.

I just feel like my gut needs more time to heal, given all my allergy issues, and also my hormones have been wacky wrt my period etc., so going to give that another month of love and see if things even out.

Also... I don't really WANT anything that I've "given up." At this point, my only reason to bother with reintro ever would basically be just to try to be less high-maintenance when eating out or at other people's houses. I can probably learn to bake paleo (with natural sweeteners), so that isn't even really a concern.

I do keep having dreams and dirty thoughts about candy, though. :lol: The really bad crap, too, like swedish fish and sour cherry blasters. That stuff ain't good for anything! Otherwise, I'm craving-less.

Mmmmm...sour cherry blasters. I had my first real window of cravings toward the end of last week, I think because the end was finally in sight. But then I went out and had a delicious compliant (I think) dinner and realized the cravings were basically useless.

Congrats on reaching day 30. It has been fun to follow along with you!

Archived