Day 2: serious cravings and super tired

Wendi

My husband and I have started our Whole30 journey.  We are enjoying our meals, but we are becoming very hungry VERY quickly!  Drinking tons of water, but it doesn't seem to help with the hunger.  We really want to stick this out.  I feel like we are trying our hardest, but we are drained and hungry! And we still have 28 days left!  Any suggestions?  

Hi Wendi, are you and your husband following the meal planning template?  http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf If you're hungry increase your portion sizes. Make especially sure not to skimp on the fat and protein, add as many veg as you like. If you're tired starchy ones like sweet potatoes, plantains etc can help. Although snacking's not encouraged, it can take a few tries to work out exactly how much you need at each meal. So it's better to have a snack than be ravenously hungry. A snack should ideally be a mini-meal some protein, fat and veg. You can even add in an extra meal if you need to. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

My first attempt at the Whole30 I was STARVING (I quit after 12 days because I could barely function)!  I wasn't following the meal template appropriately and that makes a HUGE difference!!  

It should be expected that you will be somewhat tired in the beginning as your eating habits are changing, but you shouldn't be hungry.  Increase portion sizes if needed - I know I was eating 2-3oz of chicken at a meal when I really needed to be eating 4-5oz.  I also needed more fat, which I now get with more coconut oil for cooking, more whole eggs (instead of just whites) and more avocados.  I am on Day 7 right now and energy levels have been much more stable than before and I am not hungry, except in the early morning when I first get up.

If you are having trouble switching down to 3 meals a day instead of 5-6 (I know I did) you can also add in a mini meal...but make sure it isn't a snack type thing and more of a mini meal with protein, veggies and fat.  If you are working out, make sure you are doing the pre- and post-workout meals as well, they do not count as one of the 3 meals/day.

Good luck and definitely use this forum for help!  It is really encouraging and can give you lots of tips and ideas.

Archived