Advice for A Newbie

nikiuw

I'm in the process of preparing for a Whole 30. I did a Paleo Challenge at my CrossFit box last January (2012) and had good results, but then I fell back into my evil ways (wine, cupcakes, etc.). I tried MediFast (gasp!) earlier this year this good results but got tired of real food and knew I wasn't eating good, real food. I gained weight back, and I'm ready for something new. I just want to feel healthy and eat a variety of food.

I'm looking for a checklist or words of advice from other Whole30ers on how they got started. I do order Paleo meals from my box for lunch (5 days/week), but I'm on my own for the rest of the time and have a severe sugar addiction (why aren't there detox/rehabs for sugar addicts?). 

I know what my biggest challenges are: wine and eating out with my boyfriend. We only see each other once a week (the boyfriend, not the wine) and we have fun on our weekly dates. He wants to get healthy, too. I'm hoping that we can help each other through a Whole30.

Any food recommendations, staying strong advice, exercise ideas are welcome.

I plan to start June 10. Yikes!

Preparation is the biggest thing. Not having crap food in the house that you can grab in moments of weakness, and having lots of good meals and ingredients available at all times. Do your weekly dates have to include eating out? If so you're going to have to do diligent research. Depending on where you live and what's available...some people have just found it much easier/less stressful to avoid eating out during their W30. 

Since you're a sugar addict, I strongly suggest you limit your fruit intake, and especially stay away from dried fruit. Nuts can be a slippery slope too...they often just invite more snacking. 

Good luck!

Sugar addict to sugar addict:  Clean out your cabinets of ALL sugars.

The first 2 weeks were so difficult for me.  I restarted my W30 twice after accidentally using stevia in my coconut kefir water, using raisins and other dried fruits as a crutch, and winding up face first in cookie dough, chocolate cake and ice cream one afternoon.

It is a process to conquer the "sugar dragon", and I don't expect you do be successful the first time.  You will be learning from mistakes as to what you can resist (passing on dessert in a restaurant?) and what you cannot (raisins lead to a sugar binge?).  I can tell you, though, it IS worth the effort and it can be done!

I have not had any sugar for about 45 of 48 days.  For someone with a bag of chocolate chip (dark!) a week habit, that is huge.  I have gotten to the point where I can easily resist sampling the batter when I bake for others and I no longer have the goal of trying every bar of dark chocolate manufactured on the planet.  Can I start eating little bits of honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar?  ABSOLUTELY NOT.  Not yet.  The habits are being broken but I know I will fall right back to daily chocolate.  For me, sugar removal will have to extend beyond 30 days.    I plan on reintroducing some grains and some dairy at the end of a consecutive 30 day period.

So, plan ahead!  Prepare an easy protein meal that will last for a few days.  Cut up vegetables for the fridge so you can grab when you need to chew.  Throw away the scale for 30 days and focus on healthy meals, adding fat and feeling better.  

I also think you and your boyfriend should do non-food dates for the next month.  Bike rides.  Movies with a long walk afterward.  Hikes. Touring your city and finding places you've never seen before.  

Enjoy!  

Best checklist is the meal template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

EDIT: Plan and prep are the keys to success. Browse recipes that are Whole30 compliant, menu plan and food shop http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/,

Keep staples on hand.  My staples, 10 days in, are:

- cooking fats (for me, ghee and coconut oil)
- eggs

- sardines

- produce for salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumbers)

- sauerkraut

- sparkling water
- avocados

You know the old saying - "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail".

For me it's critical - and de-stressing - to make lists and plan all the week's food.

Take a look here for some ideas - (the recipes linked to aren't necessarily Whole30 complaint though).

http://recipe-maniac.blogspot.co.nz/2013/06/kitchen-basics-it-starts-with-lists.html

I found way easier to buy a book: Practical Paleo, which includes a 30 day clean paleo mealplan, shopping lists and recipes. I followed it religiously, and it worked wonderfully with me (you can check my results in the success stories' section;-)) You can easily make some of the recipes whole30 compliant (eg. avoiding maple syrup, that is anyway always indicated as optional). If you want some other ideas you can surf on nomnompaleo blog, she recorded her 2 whole30s with mealplans and recipes!

The key concept, as everybody already told you, il plan!

Go with it and good luck!

Archived