JinksE's AIP10/Whole24 Adventure

Jinkse21

Sorry to hear about your RA flaring up :(  Fingers crossed you see improvement quickly.  I know it's frustrating when you try so hard with diet to help your body out and it doesn't respond the way you want it to - I've had this for years with eczema (have tried so many things with it).  I think it really is a longterm game plan though ...  Hopefully AIP will give you some relief in the future.

Day What??

I have been a bad, bad girl!  :(   This weekend presented a few challenges that I was not strong enough to overcome.  If I weren't trying to follow AIP/W30, it wouldn't make me as mad that I couldn't control myself since they weren't really BIG fails but enough to have to start AIP/W30 over.  I was strong enough not to have any alcohol over the weekend but that seems to be getting easier.  Besides, being completely sober and watching others makes me not want to drink if that's how I could possibly be acting.  :huh:  

I went to Findlay Market and decided to try some different sausages at a German sausage shop...Braunschweiger, Prosciutto de Parma, Head Cheese, Tongue something or other, and Goose Pate.  I picked up a lot of different veggies including Garlic Scapes, Sunflower Sprouts, Rainbow Swiss Chard, fresh Basil, Ranier Cherries, local Snow Peas, Basil plants, Seaweed Kraut, and a lovely necklace from a local jewelry maker.  I love the market!!!  Problem is spending way too much money there and not being able to eat grains and dairy!  All of the fresh breads, hummus, and butters looked and smelled so good!  I have never been much of a sweet-eater but there is a bakery there that has the best cannoli!!!  I found myself standing outside the shop day dreaming... :lol:

When I got home, I made my own Charcuterie on my big cutting board with the addition of a small salad of sunflower sprouts and local leaf lettuce, balsamic vinegar, EVOO, and salt and pepper and a variety of greek olives.  I should have known better but I didn't look at the pate package until after I had a few bites...SUGAR!  :angry:  I guess I would have been okay to keep going but later that night, I ended up eating some pepperoni and cheese at a friend's house.  I fell into the old habit of "well, I messed up once, might as well just start over tomorrow!"  :(   Then yesterday, my husband made chicken wings but he marinated them in Italian dressing that had sugar in it....I ate 4 wings.  WTH is wrong with me??  Like I said, if I wasn't doing AIP/W30, I would be okay with my choices but that's not the case.

You know what...I am over it now!  I will do an AIP when I know I can plan for little challenges better.  The way I see it is that I am still making much better choices than I did before!  Since I just started this adventure in April, I need to remind myself that I don't have to conquer the world so soon!  Plenty of time and sanity for that!   B)   I guess this marks the end of this challenge for me even though I will continue to follow the guidelines as close as possible whenever possible.

I'm so sorry for all of your pain. I've had RA in remission for over a decade. They think I don't have it anymore. I went with a stricter W30 because of that. I eliminated all nightshades, beef ,eggs and oranges on may 1st. On the 15th i started AIP and let go of coffee, ghee and nuts. Coconut meat went too because of bloat. While I'm on Day 45 of this Whole Whatever, I started reintroducing some foods this week that are on the template. Beef made me sick but hoping it was a fluke the 1 time I tried it. Day 40 I added egg yolk and so far so good. I'm afraid of nightshades because I get that familiar RA ache in my hands from white potatoes and wonder if tomatoes and peppers do it too. That would be the saddest as peppers are my number 1 fav snack food.

I could so relate when you said you couldn't pull the comforter. I could cry for you. I remember not being able to hold a pen at work. It was awful. I hope that AIP helps you. I could really feel a difference in my inflammation while on it. I am sticking close to it.

I'm happy to commiserate anytime you need it.

Calee,

I just saw your post!  Your doctors actually said they thought you were "cured" of RA??  I would believe remission over "you don't have it anymore" because RA is the devil and can sneak up on you at ay time!  The disease really sucks but if you have been in remission for so long, you must be doing something right!  Are you taking any meds?  I do Orencia once a month and have Celebrex, MTX, and low-dose Prednisone that I should be taking daily.  I am horrible about taking meds and since I was pain-free during my first W30, I haven't been taking them.  I clearly need to be taking them! :unsure:   I did notice that when I had grains, the flare-ups started up again so that's been reason enough for me to try and keep those at bay.  Alcohol is not considered a grain, right?  It has it's own area on the food pyramid with fats...not with grains!  :lol:   I'm just not at the point of doing a true AIP challenge right now so it'll be the meds for a little while longer.

Calee,

I just saw your post!  Your doctors actually said they thought you were "cured" of RA??  I would believe remission over "you don't have it anymore" because RA is the devil and can sneak up on you at ay time!  The disease really sucks but if you have been in remission for so long, you must be doing something right!  Are you taking any meds?  I do Orencia once a month and have Celebrex, MTX, and low-dose Prednisone that I should be taking daily.  I am horrible about taking meds and since I was pain-free during my first W30, I haven't been taking them.  I clearly need to be taking them! :unsure:   I did notice that when I had grains, the flare-ups started up again so that's been reason enough for me to try and keep those at bay.  Alcohol is not considered a grain, right?  It has it's own area on the food pyramid with fats...not with grains!  :lol:   I'm just not at the point of doing a true AIP challenge right now so it'll be the meds for a little while longer.

My doctors said I don't have it anymore, but I'm going with remission. They thought I got it as a response to chemo like drugs that I did for a yer to cure a rare blood disease. I have been off all meds for RA since around 2002. I notice the most inflammation in my hands after eating flour but I've been low carb most days of the last decade so didn't experience flare ups.

I really feel bad for you. Do your meds if you need them and clean up your food as you're able.

You know what...I am over it now!  I will do an AIP when I know I can plan for little challenges better.  The way I see it is that I am still making much better choices than I did before!  Since I just started this adventure in April, I need to remind myself that I don't have to conquer the world so soon!  Plenty of time and sanity for that!   B)   I guess this marks the end of this challenge for me even though I will continue to follow the guidelines as close as possible whenever possible.

Thanks, I needed to hear that, about how progress is progress and it doesn't all have to come right now!

Calee, I'm so glad you have had relief from this stupid disease since 2002 without meds!  I'm back on my meds but waiting for them to kick in...flare-ups in the feet really suck!  :angry:

Shelda17, the great thing about Whole30 is how it has changed my outlook on food and what it does to my body and that it's a day-to-day process...that's why it's a lifestyle choice to eat like this. 

My relationship with food has definitely changed!  I used to think I lived to eat, not ate to live.  Now, I think the other way around.  Don't get me wrong!  I still have those foods/dishes that I live to eat for but they are farther and fewer between!  ;)   If you go into this with a "diet" mentality that change has to happen ASAP, you cannot succeed.  Sure, you can feel all of the positive physical effects while you are doing a Whole30 by going balls to the wall but what happens after those 30 days if you don't have the right mindset??  You go back to your old habits.  I approached Whole30 differently than any other diets I have been on...I worked on the psychological aspects of the changes I was making too.  I guess that's why it has been so easy for me to stick with this way of eating even after I finished my 30 days.  I have had my bumps in the road but I was able to get back on track without beating myself up (too hard!  ;) ).

We have to live with ourselves for the rest of our lives so why not be as happy as we can be both mentally and physically?!  :D

Archived