Figured out the likely cause of my bathroom issues..

I posted in this forum several days ago about having urgent, loose bowel movements.  A few posted likely causes and remedies, but I really didn't think they were on target.  Something (I can't remember what) prompted me to look at the magnesium supplement I'd been taking.  I was taking it because I read something from Dr. Oz where he recommended everyone take 400mg a day.  Doing research the last few days, I read that excess magnesium can cause diarrhea so I decided to stop taking it and see if it helped.  Well, it has.  Over the past few days things have been slowly improving.  

The little newspaper clipping I have that got me started on the mag in the first place just makes a blanket  recommendation that EVERYONE should take 400mg.  In my research lately, the recommended dosage for women is a bit less.  However, in looking at Dr. Oz's website, he does make a distinction between dosages for men vs. women, and for women he recommends less.  Why it said differently in my clipping, I don't know.  

Hope this all made sense.  Now I need to ask my husband how his bathroom visits have been to see if he needs to quit taking it.  THAT should be a fun convo!   :wacko:     

I've always heard with magnesium that you should slowly increase the dose until you experience loose stool and then back off a bit. Glad you found out what was causing the issue though!

I had 3 weeks of "hurried" bathroom visits virtually every morning. It started 10 days before my Whole30 & carried on unabated (I'd thought maybe it was too much sugar). Finally figured it was the Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) supplement I'd been taking. Perhaps i should have suspected sooner cos it also turned my wee fluorescent yellow :-D

I take Magnesium Glycinate which is less diarrhea inducing than other types of magnesium. I actually took it for bad constipation, and it's helped a lot. But if things get too loose, you should back off.

Archived