Whole30 breakfast sausage

Vian

I threw this together lastnight from a mishmash of recipes online. Turned out quite good. A little on the spicy side, but not overwhelming (i'm a wuss for spicy things)

1.5 lbs. ground pork (preferably pastured. If you want to grind your own, use a ratio of 80% meat to 20% fat)

1 tsp. black pepper

1 1/2 tsp. dry rubbed sage

1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Mix the spices and salt together in a sepperate container, then sprinkle over the pork and mix it into the meat thoroughly. Use bulk, or form into patties and freeze.

• 6 months later...

I just made this alternate recipe, based on one by Alton Brown on food network. I left out the molasses and rosemary, but it's very tasty.

2 lbs. ground pork

2 tsp. salt

1 ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper

2 tsp. dried sage

2 tsp. dried thyme

½ tsp. nutmeg

½ tsp. cayenne pepper

Oooooh! Those look great. I rely heavily on "breakfast sausage" both for breakfast and for, well, All The Meals. LOL. It's just such a simple delicious thing to keep on hand given the constrains of the AIP. 

My two favorite recipes are Diana Rodgers Cherry Tarragon Breakfast Sausage (from her book Paleo Breakfasts and Lunches) and Mickey Trescott's Breakfast sausage in her ebook, The Paleo Autoimmune cookbook. Can't wait for her actual hardcover book!

While Diana's recipe calls for pork (and dried cherries, tarragon, onion, parsley, salt, pepper), I make it with beef or chicken. Mickey's calls for beef (and rosemary, oregano, sage, salt) but I'm sure any meat would work. 

Archived