Free Range Chicken at Kroger

Jinkse21

I was very surprised to see free range chicken available at one of my local Krogers outside of Cincinnati!  I knew they carried organic chicken/pork/beef and even grass-fed beef, but not free range! I paid just over $6 for 6 drumsticks which I didn't think was too bad considering that's 3 meals.

• Moderators

Free range is a label that is open to broad interpretation. If you are finding it at Kroger, you probably would not consider the chickens as enjoying much freedom if you saw the environment personally.

Very true but when it's extremely difficult to find pastured chickens for less than $12-$15 for a whole one, I'll purchase these before the conventionally raised chickens.  ;)    They were antibiotic- and hormone-free and organic.  Packaging also said, "raised cage free in a humane environment & fed an all vegetarian diet."  I can only hope that by free-range, they have access to the little ground grubbies to supplement the "vegetarian diet."

This is directly from Kroger's website: "A free-range chicken is one that is allowed outdoor access into a small pen."

However, access is not defined and it doesn't mean that the chickens actually go outside. In a commercial poultry operation the chicks are kept inside for at least the first 4-5 weeks. After that, it's not uncommon for them to have access to an outside area but never actually go out there.

Kroger's hopes that we imagine that the free range chickens are happily pecking around in the dirt outside a spacious, clean, coop but I'm reasonably sure that's not the case. Also, chickens aren't vegetarians (they eat bugs and worms) so the all vegetarian diet claim worries me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived