Starting July 15 - Whole 30 from a Cornfield

orianaoracle

Hello, everyone!  I am going to start my Whole 30 journey on Monday, July 15.  I'm both excited and nervous.  I know this will require a lot of planning and dedication, and I have a bit of fear around falling off track.  However, I'm going to do my very best to stick to the program!

Now, onto the personal bits and pieces!  Please forgive the long post!  (If you want to skip the background information, scroll to the Summary at the bottom of my post to see what I want out of the program.)

I am currently 29 years old, an editor by profession, and have been trying to follow a healthy lifestyle and lose some weight.  Back in the day, I was really overweight (think size 26/28 and up in women's clothing).  I never owned a scale back in high school/college, but I would estimate I weighed around 280 pounds, easily.  Oh, did I mention I'm about 5'9 1/2"?

I was a little more health-conscious in college, and got my weight down around 250 pounds.  In Fall 2008, my job offered an at-work Weight Watchers program.  I decided to try it.  Toss in my first 5K, 10K, and half-marathon races; a wider array of healthy food choices; and some exercise classes, and that brings us to Fall 2011. I had lost 80 pounds and was at 170.

In 2012, I started following my own ideas about healthy eating and increased my fitness.  I tried new fruits and veggies, took baby steps toward gluten-free eating, and really monitored what nutrients went in my mouth.  I hit 165 pounds in Summer 2012, which is the lowest weight I have ever been.

Where am I now?  Allow me to give you the good ...

• Weight: I hover between 170 and 175 pounds, never really going up too much.
  • Appearance: I generally wear size 8 pants and M - L shirts (compared to 26/28 back in the day!).  My muscles are nicely defined in a lot of areas, which makes me proud of my progress!
  • Fitness: I exercise about 5 - 6 days a week for at least an hour per day (personal training, boot camp, kickboxing, running, etc.), run at least one or two half-marathons a year, and generally consider myself a fit person (resting heart rate of 41 for the win).
  • Food: I eat mostly organic/locally grown foods when at home, and try to make the best choices when out at restaurants.  I also try to keep processed foods out of my house (i.e., I never stray from the outer wall/organic section of the grocery store).

... the bad ...

• Weight: As I said, I hover between 170 and 175 pounds.  While I never go up too much over that, I also can't seem to get my weight to go down any more.  I know weight is not everything when you take muscle mass into account; but, I don't like it that I am at the top of, or slightly over, the highest weight on the "Normal" range on those random BMI charts.  Ergh.
  • Appearance: While I can fit into smaller clothes than I used to, I still have a pretty large stomach.  This is where I seem to carry most of my weight (well, stomach + chest/upper back).  Part of it is skin from losing around 90 - 100 pounds.  A great deal of it feels like plain old fat, however, and it wears under my clothes as such.  (You know the "back fat" rolls around where your bra sits?  Going from a size 46 band to a 38 band seems to have changed nothing about those.  Joy.)
  • Fitness: Although I exercise a lot and consider myself fit, I fatigue easily.  I have trouble with moves that take me from the floor to a standing position too quickly.  I also have very weak upper-body strength when it comes to push-ups, pull-ups, planks, etc.  I know I have gained muscle in my arms, but I still struggle after years of doing so.
  • Food: I am a natural sugar fiend.  I love honey, maple syrup, agave nectar (I know, I know), etc.  So, yes, they are organic, but are still sugars nonetheless.  I really want to cut back.

... and the random (and possibly ugly?) ...

• Sleep: I admittedly have the world's worst sleeping habits.  Some nights, I'm lucky to get 3 hours of sleep; most nights, it is 5 - 6 hours with the rare "binge" on a weekend of 10+ hours in one night. Part of it is a long-distance relationship with a 4-hour time difference NOT in my favor; part of it is being a natural night-owl; and, part of it is very poor time management on my part.
  • Meat: Although I like meat, I struggle with trying to eat enough of it.  Fish is my protein of choice, with the occasional bit of chicken thrown in.  Once in a blue moon, I'll pull some local/grassfed ground goat, bison, or turkey out of my freezer.  After going through some of the Whole 30 materials, this has me a little worried.
  • The "Icky": I feel bloaty or generally uncomfortable almost 24/7.  My stomach never really feels "happy," and I am almost always tired.  As of the past month, this "icky" feeling has escalated to a bit of a high, which was a big motivator for doing the Whole 30.
  • Other Health Issues: I have chronic dry skin (diagnosed when I was a baby).  My nails peel/break/bend very easily.  I have Otitis in the inner/outer ears, most likely related to the dry skin.  I show a lot of symptoms of hypothyroidism, though I have not yet had any in-depth tests (on my to-do list!).

Summary: I want to feel good, and not "okay" or even "bad" most of the time.  I want more energy.  I want to feel happy and less stressed.  I want to cut back or eliminate my sugar cravings.  I want to lose this confounded belly fat and be able to see the abs that I've worked hard on and know are there.  I want to be able to do more than 5 push-ups without my wrists wanting to snap.  I want to enjoy my food for what it really is.

I am committing myself to this Whole 30 challenge starting on Monday, July 15.  I see others are starting on that day, too.  I would love to help motivate one another and keep each other accountable as we all start our journeys.  I am still new to the forum, but feel free to contact me (whatever that means in terms of this forum/Web site) if you'd like an accountability partner.

Thanks for reading!

Hi, Welcome to the W30. You've had a fascinating journey so far. The *good* sounds really good, the *bad*, don't overstress on the weight and the W30 will definitely help the sugar cravings - you can starve that sugar dragon into submission :)  As for the *ugly?*, you don't need me to tell you how important sleep is. I'm finding it impossible to get a full night's sleep at the moment because of the unaccustomed heat and I'm really miserable because of it :(  It does make such a difference so try to improve it as much as you can.

I can empathise about the meat. I used to be a raw food vegan. Having had to sort of force myself at the beginning of the W30, I ended up with my favourite meat being beef and I'm now a total carnivore. I do have to say I feel better for it. i also had severe IBS and digestive issues and the W30 has really helped that.

If you're not used to eating that much meat, you may find it helpful to take a digestive enzyme with your meals to help your body adjust. Many people on a W30 swear by the Now foods enzymes.. Good luck and keep us posted how you get on

I'm the same with weight  It doesn't matter what I eat or how much I exercise I tend to stay within a 10 pound range depending on if I'm exercising 3-4 hours a day or not at all.  Don't get too frustrated if your weight doesn't change much at first.  It's taken me years to realise that my body is really lazy and takes a long time to change... it has its happy weight (which is unfortunately a few stone more than it should be).  But, I have finally seen some consistent movement with my second attempt(s) at W30 and hitting the peak of my marathon training.

I also used to be the worst night owl and my (now) husband and I did the long distance thing for a while with an 8-9 hour time difference.  Eventually you need to make your sleep a priority. I've found that setting myself a bedtime has really helped in getting my schedule regulated.

Hi orian, do get tested for hypothyroidism and make sure that they test for thyroid antibodies.  90% of all hypo is from Hashi's which is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks the thyroid. It can be cause of many of your symptoms, the dry skin, the lack of sleep and fatigue.

Also, many people who have hashi's have found that a gluten/grain free diet helps tremendously. There is some studies now showing a link between gluten intolerance and hashis. Also, by eliminating all inflammatory foods, you will also be helping on that score.

The peeling nails and other symptoms could also be a b12 deficiency. You should have that tested. If you have issues digesting meat, HCL along with digestive enzymes will help. All of these symptoms can also be related to 'leaky gut'. You will find that eliminate as much sugar as possible can help on that score too.

Best of luck, you've done so much already, this should be a piece of cake (figuratively!) for you!

Hi Oriana we seem to have similar backgrounds. I was always a heavy kid and was heavy until about 2 years ago when I did Medifast and lost 70lbs. I was somewhere around a size 22/24 and now I'm a 14.

I've always had or at least tried to have healthy eating habits, even before losing the weight. I've kept it off for 2 years. But lately I have just not cared and that's a dangerous place to be. I just moved into an apartment I do not like and and a part of town I don't like either to save money and I'm a little blue about it. I have that icky feeling you describe too. Constantly bloated and I don't sleep as well as I used to.

I'm starting the W30 tomorrow. Would you like some support?

Hi Oriana! Welcome to the Whole30! Reading your summary felt like reading my own starting point when I did my first Whole30 in 2010 -- especially the "bad" and "ugly." Trouble sleeping, bloating and terrible stomachaches, weight that wouldn't budge, skin problems, etc. My best advice to you is to not focus on the weight and really focus on digestion and sleep. I didn't realize quite how much those things negatively impacted my quality of life until I got them in order. 

I also can't help but wonder if the meat aversion and the skin problems are related to digestion issues. I second the vote for digestive enzymes (I took HCL and it made a huge difference) and you might find that foods with probiotics and gelatin help (raw sauerkraut, bone broth, etc). Great idea to get tested for hypothyroid!

Also, the W30 isn't always an easy process and sometimes things take longer than 30 days to heal. Just be patient, and never lose sight of the "Good" list -- which I would venture to call a "Great" list. Be proud of your successes and use them as a reminder to help get you through any tough moments  :)

Wow!  Thank you all for your warm responses!

I'm just barely into Day 1, and things seem to be going okay so far.  I made a Sweet Potato, Zucchini, and Red Pepper Frittata last night and portioned it out into 4 breakfast servings.  For lunch today (and maybe tomorrow if I can't eat it all), I threw together some wild sardines, avocado, a hard-boiled egg, red onion, cucumber, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and salt/pepper.  I washed some green leaf lettuce leaves and am going to either wrap it up in those or serve it on top.  I know we're not supposed to snack, but I did pack an apple with some plain cinnamon and an optional dab of almond butter just in case I get hungry.

Dinner is a little up-in-the-air right now.  I put some cod fillets in the fridge to thaw.  I also have a whole chicken, some chicken breast, and some ground goat thawing in the fridge.  I figured the fish would be ready sooner, though.  I have a menagerie of vegetables in the fridge, so I'll come up with something as a good side.

My goal is to definitely be more prepared for the next week.  I procrastinated on Sunday around cooking, so I didn't get to make much ahead of time.  Once that whole chicken thaws, the crock pot will definitely be busy!

I have my small group personal training class tonight for an hour.  I'm a little nervous about being getting hungry right before or during.  I've always been taught that it's good to eat your meals, but then make sure you always eat at least every 2 hours.  So, I'm used to snacking on baby carrots, apples, hummus, etc. throughout the day.  This is going to be a bit of a change for me.

Please forgive my lack of forum etiquette knowledge - I am not sure if I should reply to each of you with a separate post, or respond to you all in one.  I'm going to go with the latter for now. :)

Kirsteen - I'm going to try my best to make sleep a top priority.  I didn't do such a good job last night (stayed up cooking for this week - oops!), but I'm going to try harder tonight.

It's good for me to know that someone who was once a raw vegan can switch over to eating meat.  It gives me hope that I'll be able to do it, too. :)  It's not that I don't like meat.  Whenever I eat it, it tastes great.  I just don't find myself craving it very much, and sometimes the thought of cooking it even makes me a little nauseous if I'm in the right mood.  I've eaten meat my whole life, but my relationship with it has changed over the past couple of years.  Hopefully, the Whole 30 can set that straight again!

I started taking a probiotic over the weekend.  Is that different than a digestive enzyme?  Should I mix the two?  I just don't want to shock my body too much all at once.

Annabel - I know what you mean about the "happy weight."  When I first started losing weight, my goal was to hit 150 pounds.  Weight Watchers said, for my height, that my weight range is 135 to 169.  I thought 150 was a nice number in the middle, and it meant I would have lost 100 pounds since I started Weight Watchers.  As time goes by, I don't know that it's still a realistic goal.  I've learned that it's not really about the numbers on the scale so much as how your clothes fit, how your muscles are defined, etc.  I do have to remind myself of that, though!

There's a site online where you can see other women who are your height, weight, size, etc.  It's interesting to see how different people can have the exact same stats, but carry the weight completely differently.  I carry my weight around the middle, but other women with my same stats carry it all in their thighs/butt, or it's proportioned out over their bodies.

You mentioned marathon training.  Do you run full marathons?  I've only done half-marathons so far, but I'd like to try a full one in the next year or two.  I was going to try the Chicago marathon this year, but I didn't get into the pool. :-/  I need to figure out a good training plan, anyway.  I haven't run on a set schedule in a long time!

Wow, 8 - 9 hours!!  I can't even imagine.  I'm glad that you don't have to do the long-distance thing anymore. :)  I've been a night owl my entire life.  I hated going to bed for school when I was younger, I purposefully took afternoon classes in college so I didn't have to get up early, and I still have to force myself to not stay up until 4 a.m. most nights.  In September, the long-distance part will be going away; so, hopefully that will help a lot!  Do you have any tips for setting a bedtime?  It seems like I always tell myself, "You're going to go to bed no later than midnight," and I always find some way to blast right past it, even when I'm not up talking with the boyfriend.  It's really messed with the way my life functions, actually.  I really would like to get up for work no later than 7:45 or 8 a.m., but it's generally closer to 9:30 or 10.  I'm lucky that I have a somewhat flexible schedule for now, but I know that won't always be the case.  If I could find a way to consistently go to bed earlier, I'd be able to get up earlier, and that would be that!

CarrieTS - Thank you for the support!  How is your first day going so far? :)

Bet - I had my thyroid tested last year, but they never gave me the results.  I guess I figured it was one of those "no results = good" type of things.  I regret not checking in about it.  However, I get the feeling they took the most generic thyroid test possible.  From what I hear, you should request an in-depth thyroid test to make sure they really get the full picture.  Is that your recommendation, too?

My mom (not biological) was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.  She's going through all of the fun tests, medicines, etc. with the endocrinologists right now.  I have always had an aversion to taking medication; so, perhaps that's why I sometimes put things off.  I just hope that if it turns out I do have issues, that I can treat it without medication and just change my lifestyle.  Do you suggest going to an endocrinologist for the test, or more of an integrative medicine type of doctor?  We have some really good people in both fields where I live.

I've done a little reading on leaky gut, but not too much on Hashi's.  I just looked up the symptoms and I do have some of them.  I had an ENT appointment a few weeks ago, and she felt my thyroid and said it felt great; so, at least it's not enlarged.  My nails have actually been doing a little better lately.  They're still very pliable, though.  I can easily bend them backwards if I'm not careful.  I always have awful hangnails, too.  Again, I think it's because of the dry skin.  I'll have to look into the B12 thing, though.  Thanks for the advice! :)

Amobailar - It sounds like you've had a pretty awesome journey, too!  Congratulations on the weight loss!

I'm sorry you're struggling with your new place, though.  Maybe try spiffing up the inside with some pretty pictures, or new curtains or something would help you feel a little better.  There are a lot of cool DIY ideas on Pinterest for livening up your home.  I'm definitely a firm believer that you have to feel happy and comfortable in your surroundings.  Try to view it as a new adventure and a new, blank landscape that you can tweak to your heart's content.  Giving it a positive spin will probably help your mental well-being and, in turn, help your body's overall health.   :)  Fill it with the delicious cooking smells of your new Whole 30 foods!  That'll make it even more homier. :D

I would love some support!  How is Day 1 going for you?

Maggief - Thank you for the warm welcome, Maggie!  It is hard to not focus on the number on the scale and instead simply on the way you feel.  It takes a lot of rewiring!

You said your first Whole 30 was in 2010.  Do you find that afterward, you kept a lot of the same habits from the Whole 30, or did you reintroduce some "old" foods?  I know I'm thinking really far ahead, but it makes me wonder what Day 31 will be like.  Will I want cheese again?  Will I go back to soy, or not?  Will I still have a sweet tooth?  I know I probably need to stop worrying about it and just focus on the now. :)

I asked Kirsteen the same question, above, but is it okay to take a probiotic and digestive enzymes at the same time?  I started taking a probiotic over the weekend to see if it helps.  (I've been having some..ah.."personal feminine issues" lately, and one of the suggestions was to start on a probiotic.  This is actually one of the main factors for starting the Whole 30.)  Thanks again for the kind words!

Thanks again, everyone!  I would love to hear more about your journeys.  A quick question to everyone ... as I mentioned, I'm not really up on my "forum etiquette" regarding replies/posting.  Do most people just reply to their first post throughout the 30 days, or do they make a new post somewhere else where they post about their journeys?  Do they post every day, or just give an update about once a week?  I thought about starting a little side-blog, but I haven't had the time to sit down and create anything.  So, I think this better fits my needs for now. :)

Great job!  My first day is going well so far.  I have found that as long as you have the added fat (avocado, coconut flakes, coconut milk (canned), olives, etc) with meals then I do not get the munchies or grumblies 2-3 hours later.  I can typically make it between meals.  If I was going to workout in the late afternoon/early eveinng before dinner then I would eat a small protein and fat food source, such as, a hard boiled egg before going to workout. 

I am not quite sure about the proper forum etiquette, but on my topic under JoinWhole30 I have several who seem to be following so I will continue to post general topics on there.  I will also post as many times a day I want under that topic.  It's your "topic" to do with as you wish, that is my opinion.  I started a Whole30 Log, which I will record a lot of my daily details under and write updates about my goals.  For me personally, who requires accountabiity and support, I like checking in and writing more than once a day and I think that is okay. 

Good to hear from you, CarrieTS!  I was surprised - I did okay as far as being hungry yesterday.  I was unprepared and a little hungry after I got home from my workout, but I managed to throw together some coconut cod with a mango salsa.

Thanks for the tips about posting.  I think I'll just continue to post updates here, too. :)

I'm struggling today.  Protein in general just does not sound good to me.  I worked late last night and woke up a little later this morning. I worked for quite a bit until I could bring myself to eat my breakfast (leftover sweet potato/red pepper/zucchini frittata) around 1 p.m.  I've been trying to convince myself that I need to eat lunch in the next hour or so to get it partially digested before my workout at 7:30.  It is a boot camp class, and there's a good chance we will be outside in 90+-degree weather.  So, I know I will need fuel, but I also don't want my food taking issue with the heat.

I have a leftover cod fillet I was going to eat for lunch, and then try to make something with some chicken breast for dinner.  Again, though, the whole idea of the protein makes me feel a little nauseous.  I keep eyeballing the apples, blueberries, raspberries, grapes, and the pummelo in my refrigerator, but I'm trying to resist eating them as a snack.

I may switch course and make a nice green leaf lettuce salad and incorporate the grapes/apples that way.  I am out of eggs, though, and haven't been to the store yet today to pick up more canned tuna/sardines.  I was trying to think of some other sources of protein I could add in for now.  I know we're supposed to only occasionally turn to nuts and seeds, but I wonder if I could load up the salad with some almonds or something for now.

I also am having problems dealing with the "Meal Planning Template."  I am just not that structured of a person!  Trying to make sure I have every single thing per every meal is rather stressful.  Also, regarding the post-workout meal, I can't always separate that from dinner.  Most of my workouts are in the evening, from either 6 - 7, or 7:30 - 8:30.  There's no way I'm going to be hungry enough after those to eat two meals.  I hope that this won't damage my Whole 30 results too much. :(

How is it going for everyone else?

I've been running for about three years and have done two halfs and have my first marathon coming up in August.  I find that having a race on the horizon is the only thing that gets me out and running (and even then not very consistently)

In terms of setting a bedtime... I started by getting up at the same time every morning (6:00).  Then, in theory, you should start to be tired at a proper hour. (9:30-10:00 for me) Otherwise, you just need to be strict with yourself about what time you're going to go to bed.   My husband is working nights right now, so my bedtime has drifted a bit later, but only by an hour.  It's a gradual process though.

In terms of meal template: Choose your meat and choose your veg.  Then cook the meat and/or veg in fat (oil, ghee, coconut milk) or add some olives, avocado or nuts.  There's no need to get any more complicated than that. 

I've been running for about three years and have done two halfs and have my first marathon coming up in August.  I find that having a race on the horizon is the only thing that gets me out and running (and even then not very consistently)

In terms of setting a bedtime... I started by getting up at the same time every morning (6:00).  Then, in theory, you should start to be tired at a proper hour. (9:30-10:00 for me) Otherwise, you just need to be strict with yourself about what time you're going to go to bed.   My husband is working nights right now, so my bedtime has drifted a bit later, but only by an hour.  It's a gradual process though.

In terms of meal template: Choose your meat and choose your veg.  Then cook the meat and/or veg in fat (oil, ghee, coconut milk) or add some olives, avocado or nuts.  There's no need to get any more complicated than that. 

Annabel, that's awesome about the races!  Good luck on your first marathon!!  :)

I'll have to give the "getting-up" time a go.  Ideally, I'd like to be up by at least 8 every day.  I guess I just don't like to sacrifice any sleep.  If I don't get to bed until 4 a.m. or something, I don't like the thought of getting up at 8 and only functioning on 4 hours of sleep.  I've done it, but I'll push my getting-up time until as late as I possibly can.  I guess I just need to teach myself that the getting-up time is not flexible, no matter what.

As far as the meal template, I guess I'm doing okay.  It's just still a little daunting for me.

Again, I'm having another "nauseous" day.  I did okay for breakfast and was actually hungry for lunch (leftover goat burgers with romaine lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, and red onions; side of baked parsnip "fries," 1/2 a mini personal watermelon, and a handful of almonds).  That was more than 6 hours ago, though, and I'm not at all hungry.  In fact, the thought of food makes me nauseous.  I have a whole chicken in the crock pot that is ready to come out, but I have no desire at all to eat it.  It could partially be attributed to the fact that it's so hot in my house.  It's been about 80 - 82 in here all day. :(  The cooking isn't helping.

Ah well - still trying! :)

I just had a breakdown over bacon.  Yes, bacon.

I was all excited to use up the cabbage I have to make Nom Nom Paleo's Balsamic Cabbage & Bacon as a side.  I just spent a ton of money on local, pastured, red wattle bacon from a local farm where I get eggs.  I got it out of the freezer to slice it up for the recipe and decided to eyeball the label for a second.  What is it cured with?  It's cured with cherry powder (which contains turbinado sugar), and brown and maple sugar from 100% maple syrup. :(

So, now I have a pound of super-expensive, high-quality bacon in my freezer that I can't eat.  And I can't make my cabbage recipe.

Sugar cravings or no, this whole "no added sugars, even natural" thing is killing me.  I'm not even craving sugar, but it's ruining foods for me that I thought were perfectly safe.  Any suggestions on where I can find the sugar-free bacon mentioned on the Whole 9 Web site?

I think it was Wellness Meats, with I think with a $75 minimum order.

I'm lucky and can get compliant bacon everywhere at a really reasonable price.

Unfortunately, I live by myself and don't have the money for that. :(  I spoke to the farmers from whom I get the bacon, and they're going to talk to the butcher this week about getting no-sugar bacon!  Apparently, I'm not the only one who has expressed interest.  I hope it happens! :)

I did come across another meat today that I can't have, which was a bummer.  I have some really good local pastured tenderized beef strips, but they were tenderized with ingredients like corn starch and sugar.  So, no beef strips for me.

I did make a pretty awesome dinner today, though!  I grilled zucchini with some olive oil, salt/pepper, and a local chive & herb seasoning I have.  I followed a recipe on Nom Nom Paleo's Web site (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486817797/grilled-zucchini-summer-squash) and drizzled on a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar and topped it with basil.  Then, I coated some chicken breast in olive oil and the same seasoning and grilled them.  On the side, I had some local strawberries with a drizzle of coconut butter/coconut milk that I whipped together.  It was soooooo good.

I think today was the first day that the sweetness of fruit really struck me.  I chopped up an apple in my salad at lunch and swear it was the sweetest, juiciest apple I've ever eaten.

I'm still struggling with the planning/sleeping part, which is always a problem for me.  I'm continuing to take baby steps toward remedying it, though.  Even though I'm still over "bedtime" tonight, I hope it will still be earlier than it is most days.  Due to a sequence of events over the weekend (car broke down, had surprise company, and the air conditioning stopped functioning during the week), I didn't get to sit down and plan/cook like I wanted to today.  However, I hope to do a little of it tomorrow after work.  My normal workout group is canceled for tomorrow, so I'm going to try to use that time wisely and maybe squeeze in a little run of my own.

Week 1 is officially history. :D

I hope Week 1 went well for everyone else! :)  Have any of you made any really amazing meals this week that you'd like to share?

• 4 weeks later...

I realize I have not posted in here for a bit.  It's officially the end of Day 30!  I'm so glad I made it through! :D

I am going to weigh myself in the morning (I can't believe I haven't stepped on my scale in 30 days!) and then have my trainer take my measurements tomorrow evening before kickboxing class.  I'll report my results - hopefully they're good!

Someone at boot camp class tonight said, "Look at you, looking so slender!"  That made me feel good that not only do I notice changes on the inside, but that it's noticeable on the outside, too. :)  My trainer said she was impressed with the increased muscle definition she's seeing, too!  My legs have always been muscular, but she commented that it's really showing through!

Anyway, enough vanity. ;)

Overall, I feel pretty good.  I did have a bout of (what I think is) food poisoning last night, which wasn't fun for Day 29.  But, I made it through (with some helpful forum posters to help me with food ideas!).  I still find that I get bloaty/gassy with certain things, but I haven't really pinpointed them yet.  I may need to take a closer look at onions/garlic.  People told me in another post that there's a good chance I could have issues with them.

I'm also still having the fatigue when I exercise and still can't seem to build my upper body strength.  Perhaps that is still because of the possibility of thyroid issues.  Admittedly, I haven't had it checked yet.  I figured I'd wait and see how the entire Whole 30 went first.  And I'm still bad about sleep, so, I know that doesn't help.  But, I'm trying!

I definitely foresee another Whole 30 in my future.  My boyfriend is moving here in early September for good, and I told him that I'd like him to do one with me.  We'll see if I can convince him. :)

For now, I'm not really sure what I will reintroduce.  I timed my Whole 30 to finish before this coming weekend because my dad is coming to visit, and we'll probably hit up a winery.  So, there's at least a glass of wine coming!  I will probably attempt to make my way through the non-Whole 30 foods left in my pantry, or do it when the boyfriend gets here so I have someone to help me eat through the rest of it (mostly a couple of gluten-free baking mixes, a couple of grassfed meats that have added sugars, etc.).  I'm not really craving anything, so we'll see.  I haven't had a chance to make it through the reintroduction section of ISWF yet, but hope to hit that in the next day or two.

Since, I'm trying to be better about sleep and don't have any overnight editing for once, I think I will take this opportunity to go to bed "early" and get some extra rest.

I'll be back soon with results! :D  Congratulations to everyone who made it to Day 30!

Congrats! You made it! I am also 'offroading' a bit after I finished my W30. We are going on vacation next week, so while I will try to be good, I am not going to deny myself too much.

Let us know the results!

Alright, the results are in!

I weighed myself this morning and came in around 168.  I hovered between 170 and 175 before the Whole 30, so I at least lost a little bit.

My trainer took my measurements before and after the Whole 30.  Providing I filled out her spreadsheet correctly (I'm having her check it for me, so I'll change this post if I missed anything), I lost a total of 2 inches (1-inch off my chest 1/2-inch under my chest, 1/2-inch around my belly button, 1/4-inch off my natural waist, 1/4-inch off my hips, 1/4-inch off my right calf, and 1/4-inch off my left bicep).  I gained a tiny bit in a couple of areas, but they appear to be muscle gains, which is good.

We didn't get a chance to take my seven-point skinfold test before the Whole 30; however, we took it afterward.  My body fat % is 21.37, which puts me in the fitness range, just above athlete.  It only went up .06 from my last reading in July 2012, and I've had a birthday since then, so I'm pretty happy with the reading.  I've just got to keep moving in the right direction!

I think, for now, I'll keep my before/after photos to myself.  There's not too much to see there.  Maybe after another round or two of Whole 30 I'll post a before/after.

So, overall, I'm pretty happy!  I'm still not sure about my reintroduction plans.  I have some fresh, non-GMO sweet corn in my fridge that I wouldn't mind having, but I'm not sure I'm ready yet to step back into the non-Whole 30 world.  I may just wait until my dad comes in on Friday.  We'll see. :)

Anyway, I hope it went well for everyone else!  I appreciate the support throughout the forums!  I'm sure I'll be "lurking" around for a while, and will definitely hop back in when I do the next Whole 30!

Archived