My Third Thirty!

Hi, my inspirations!

I'm starting my third one tomorrow!  Very excited about it!  I feel so delicious when I'm on it and I also sleep like a log, which is just awesome.  So ready to go!

This will be my third one in well under a year.  I did one in November of '12 which was actually a Whole 25, I didn't flake out but I had already planned on it being shortened because of a trip I was going on that included wine country, ha!  So my title's not 100% accurate but it sounded cuter.  Then I did one in February.  That one was a full 30.  This one will be too.  I haven't gotten geared up to go longer like some people on here (you're amazing btw), but I'm gradually adapting my diet to where it looks similar to the Whole30 plan all the time.  It makes sense for me and my body and I want something sustainable ultimately.

Stuff that's changed so far from the other two:  I no longer consume artificial sweeteners.  This is HUGE.  I used to go through so much Equal and I was proud that I wasn't using sugar because that was a whole other chapter, but I knew it wasn't good for me.  I kicked the artificial stuff on my first Whole and never went back.  I think I have a few packs somewhere in the cabinet just in case someone is over who wants some, but I've literally never even torn open another packet. I drink my iced tea like it is and LOVE it now. Who knew!

Dairy:  This is one I still struggle a bit with.  I KNOW dairy doesn't agree with me.  I do think I can find a way to enjoy it occasionally in moderation, but the last little while I'd been consuming it more often and it was doing all the stuff it does:  making me congested and weird digestion stuff.  So happy to know for sure I won't be having any for a month!

But, as a side note to this dairy thing, coffee and the creamer that used to go in it were a HUGE deal for me! On my first two whole30s, I went through a completely embarrassing amount of coconut milk.  I mean, an EMBARRASSING amount!  I made these little pretend lattes which were awesome but I swear I must have had a million calories in coconut milk on each whole30!  I still seemed to lose weight but it was out of control, ha!  Anyway, in the last 2 months I've started drinking my coffee black.  I don't really know why or how it happened but I'm not gonna question it, I'll just take it!  Curious to see if I drop a few extra lbs this time without the mass amount of coconut milk ( don't worry, I know it's not really about weight loss and I actually haven't weighed myself once since the beginning of all this, and I WILL definitely still have coconut milk, just not by the gallon)!

Corn products:  Upset my stomach.  Period.  In addition to being empty carbs that make me fat.  Nuff said.  Pasta, bread and rice don't give me any problems really, but I just think they're empty carbs/calories that just fill me up and I have no room for awesome veggies & meat.   I do love rice and it's not something I completely rule out of my diet, but I just think I'll always keep it to a bare minimum.  My stomach is definitely happier with no grains involved.  And I'm always trying to get more protein, so replacing all that stuff with satisfying meat is a much better plan.

Alcohol:  I love drinking socially but I now like having a set break from it at times. I really resented it on the first round but not so much on the second.  Now I welcome it.   I've noticed I'm much more sensitive to it since basically not having any for probably a third of  the last year (my boyfriend is losing weight and being really careful, so we haven't been going out or drinking much the last month and a half).

I also just hit my one-year mark of doing CrossFit yesterday.  And I do hot yoga as well.  I've begun to truly transform my body and it's just the best thing ever.  

Another thing I'm thrilled about is that I planted a garden and it's finally starting to produce stuff!  I have so many awesome veggies coming my way so this timing is PERFECT!!!!

So I have some other goals to do along with this whole30 and this seems a good place to share them:

I'm giving myself a 30-day hot yoga challenge. Some studios do these as a group thing, but I'm just doing this myself.  I've checked the schedule and there seems to be no reason I can't make it every day for the next 30 days.  And I want to do CrossFit 4 times a week as well.  This give me Saturdays and Sundays off (no classes on Sunday and my yoga on Saturday will interfere with the classes that day) and allows me to take one additional day off if I need a break.  I've been going 4-5 times a week for awhile so this part won't be new, but I just want to make sure I'm still getting in my CFit workouts since I'll be doing more yoga.

I'm thrilled about this!  And so glad this board is here for sharing experiences!   I shared my last Whole30 pretty consistently, I'm not really a detailed food logger but I did share anything interesting I came up with.  I need to dig it up for inspiration and also to try to remember some of the awesome stuff I made!  

OK, now that I wrote my novel for the day, I'll move along!  I'm not usually this wordy!  Thanks for being here everybody!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I laughed so hard about the coffee and coconut milk!  It's my first Whole30, and I, too, really enjoyed dairy creamer in my coffee before Whole30.  I have been adding small amounts of unsweetened almond milk and about a tablespoon of coconut oil to make lattes.  It's so good!  But I'm sure that the extra calories aren't contributing to my goals.  Anyway, good for you for going black!!  I'm going to try my coffee black, too.  Maybe that will help! :)

Since you're experienced with the Whole30 program, I have a question:  when did you start seeing results?  Though I thought I saw results a bit during the first week, on my tenth day, I'm feeling bloated and inflamed. :(

Hi 3day!  If you're talking about aesthetic results, I'd say after 5 days or so my stomach was flatter and I noticed I looked leaner.  Could you be getting your period?  That can throw it all off for a few days for me.  

As for your coffees, I'm sure you're totally fine.  Like I said, even with my completely over the top use of coconut milk I felt the awesomeness of Whole30 both times, and I was definitely dumping in more of it than you describe.  If I hadn't already started drinking my coffee black I wouldn't even be worrying about it, that was something that happened separate of Whole30 that happens to really help me out with this next round, since I am trying to lean out and this is an incredibly healthy way to do it.  

Day One!  Just had breakfast, two eggs, an avocado, and cucumber slices with apple cider vinegar and salt on them.  And coffee and a big glass of water.  So weird how the first time I did this, it felt like something I had to survive or get through, and this time I'm so happy and excited to be doing it!  

I'm curious for the differences in my body this time because I've already made a lot of changes since the first round of it in November.  I'm leaner and in better shape already so I wonder if I'll notice less differences.  Doesn't really matter, I'm just good with how great I feel when I do this.  

Guest Annie B

Bethany! I love your energy... I am restarting Day 1 today, after making it 11 days up to last friday. Its funny but I kind of knew, somewhere down deep that I wouldn't go the full 30. And I believe I needed that lapse to see exactly how much I want this. So, I feel renewed, rather than defeated, which is interesting. Anyway this time, I am going to support myself more, by being for active on the forum.  Thanks for  sharing your enthusiasm!

Guest Annie B

Noticing something interesting... Even though I bombed this past weekend, it only took 1 day to 'recover'... whereas normally it could up to 3 days for the bloat and fatigue to clear up. Proof that the first attempt was not totally in vain. So, while I count today as Day 2, my body is clearly better off as a result of 11 days of clean eating. Here's to a new normal!

Day 2!

Thanks for you guys' updates!  It's nice to hear what's happening for others!  So yesterday was completely exhausting, nothing at all to do with Whole30, but it did kinda make me forget about it being Day 1, ha!  It was more lack of sleep and it being my first day back to real life after my good friend visiting for a week and not really following my normal plan in any part of life. I can definitely feel it when I don't live up to my normal standards of healthiness!  :)

Yesterday I did both CrossFit and hot yoga, which is going to be my reality for most days this next month.  Not a big deal, just what I do, ha!  Normally I can handle that, but yesterday I was just so wiped out.  But I got through it, go me!  

Food wasn't much to talk about.  I already posted breakfast, lunch was a salad with some canned wild salmon and more cucumbers.  Dinner was grilled salmon filets and broccoli and brussels sprouts with a little balsamic.  Just a coincidence on the salmon at both meals!  And that's about it.  A lot of water and coffee.  I typically get dehydrated anytime I'm focusing hard on protein, which I certainly do on this, plus all my hot yoga-ing will add to that, so I'm hardcore disciplining myself on the water intake this time around. I really want to stay feeling solid through it all if I can.  

Juzbo, I noticed you're from Melbourne, which I'll visiting in a few months, but Annie, for some reason I'm just now noticing that you're from Greenwood!!  I'm from Abbeville!  Obviously far far from there now, but how weird is that!  And you both found my thread!  :)

Day 3!!!  

Awesome dinner last night, which my bf made which made it even tastier....don't mind if I do get out of cooking a meal while still Whole30-ing it up!  Roast with onions and carrots, so tender and delicious, aaaahhhhhh!  And I'm already sleeping better. Although my habit of watching Dexter before bed gives me weird dreams, at least I'm asleep to have them!  I'd been in a really bad groove of waking up in the middle of the night and having trouble going back to sleep, but last night I got up a couple of times to pee because of the tons of water I chugged after yoga, but I went right back to sleep. Nice!  The sleep is one of my fave things about this.  It's just blissful.

Yeah, the working out thing has been a result of a full year of changing habits, and I started CrossFit a year ago which REALLY helps when you're like me and struggle with the discipline to keep a routine going.  And I need yoga to keep me limber and avoid injury.  I used to be a runner, and I realized about a year ago that it was no longer serving me, and since then everything has changed. I spend my time and energy doing things that benefit me so much more.  I have upper body strength and definition for the first time in my life, and I love it!  

Feeling really good today.  Hoping I avoid the "hangover" of day 4-ish that I had both of the other times.  We'll see!  

Day 4!  I woke up with a slight headache during the night and felt a little of it this morning, but once I got up and going it went away.  Eggs and zucchini and a little almond butter for breakfast.  I feel bizarrely, incredibly lean today.  I think it's the combo of having lost the water weight from last week's chowfest :) and also the three straight days of sweating my ass off in CrossFit and hot yoga!

I was planning to make today an off day from Crossfit and just do yoga, but after seeing the workout I want to do it, so I'm going.  So technically I could take off tomorrow because my goal will be met for the week, plus Saturday and Sunday off of course.  We'll see.  I sort of told myself I wouldn't go beyond the 4 days a week for CrossFit during this challenge, at least at first until I see what my body's doing with going to hot yoga every single day.  I have to go to yoga in the AM tomorrow because there's no night class, so I'll see how I feel when 4 or 5 o'clock rolls around and I can go if I'm feeling it, or not.  

So weird this time, I have to say.  Stuff that straight up PISSED ME OFF the first and maybe even second round, has no effect now.  I still don't love making or eating breakfast, but I know it's what my body desperately wants, so I do it and it's so not even a big deal.  It's also a meal I have zero emotions connected to because breakfast has just never been a big part of my life.  Which makes it beyond easy to make the right choices.  Crack the eggs, slice the veg, pour the oil, and call it a day.  If I ever do a W30 and give up coffee, though,  you will be reading a drastically different update! ;)  

My mom's doing this too although she lives thousands of miles away. I'm  hoping to get her on the phone today and hear how it's going.  She's done "Wholewhatevers" a few times, never goes the full 30 days but still enough to feel the benefits and has changed her diet significantly because of it.  Makes me happy!  

So yeah....weekend approaching.  That's when it gets real for me.  When I start to get texts that a group of friends are going to my fave restaurant and I have to debate whether to go and be "that guy" when ordering or just stay at nice, safe, cheap home and cook my own stuff that I know works for me.  Normally if I didn't want to go to dinner I'd say "no, but I'll meet you guys for a drink after."  Which I can do, and order a seltzer.  Womp-womp!  Ha!  Not a big deal, and I'm ok with some social downtime anyway.  My bf is on a somewhat complicated carb-cycling thing right now (he's trying to drop weight a little quicker than me) so us eating out is just way more trouble than it's worth at the moment.  And he's not drinking either.  

Sounds all good Bethany! I really like coffee but can't tolerate it well. I have been having it every day for about a month now and lo and behold am developing a rash on my face this week which is getting a little bit worse each day... I have had so few rashes this last year due to whole30 eating... Oh well, coffee detox coming up! Which will be ugly for three days!

Day 5!  Kinda same feeling as yesterday.  I didn't get quite as much sleep last night because I didn't get to sleep till almost midnight and I'm up early for a yoga class.  Fri, Sat, and Sun. I have to do yoga in the morning because there's no night classes.  I'm choosing the 8 AM one today because otherwise it cuts too much into my workday.  Plus the 8 AM one is 75 min. instead of 90, and when you're doing as much yoga as I am, those 15 minutes feel like getting out of school early, ha!

So last night, a friend invited us over to grill and get in his pool.  There were about 15 people and it was fun, and no food issues whatsoever.  We grilled steak and fish and zucchini and squash and there was salad without dressing.  All good!  Everyone has known that my boyfriend is on a diet for some time, and I didn't bother to update anyone that I'm doing something different, because to most of my friends, a diet is a diet is a diet. All they know is that eating out is a pain and we aren't drinking so don't pass us a beer.   I really have a hangup with being the person who is always going on about what they "can" and "can't" eat.  Probably should figure that out, but hey.

We're having a party and having friends over on Saturday night.  We've lived in a new place for 2 months and this will be our first get-together here.  Stoked about it!  And it's nice having people over because I can make sure the food stuff is all good.  

I always end up thinking WAY too much about food issues when I'm on Whole30.  Or maybe it's good, I can't tell.  What I was thinking lately is that each time I've done Whole30, even while I was ok with being on it, I thought in the back of my mind, "This will be the last time I do any kind of diet.  I won't do this again.  Because after I go off of this, I'll moderately enjoy the things I know aren't good for me, and I'll keep the parts of this that I know I need to.  I don't want to be constantly on any kind of 'diet' even when it is one this healthy and good."  

And yet, each time I've done Whole30, I've felt that I needed it.  To sort of bring me back from not-great eating, drinking too regularly, feeling bloated, to snap me into shape in some way. I do wonder if there's a way to keep enough moderation in my life to not need restrictions.  Hmmm..  

Mmmm, home from yoga and noshing down on broccoli with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.  One of my faves!  (And eggs.  Less excited about the eggs, but they do my body good, so bring 'em on.) Literally could not be more ecstatic that today is a "day off" from CrossFit.  Which means I can do my work for the day and then relax and make a nice dinner, rather than go to CrossFit and then rush over to yoga like I've done for the past 4 days.  Proud of myself though!  

So ready for my freakin' garden to give me some veggies!  There's so many little ones growing, they'll probably get ready all at once.  So far it's tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, jalapenos, and okra.  I actually had a tiny bowl of okra the other day, and I'll be able to pick some more soon.  Love that!

Good for you, Bethany!!  I've heard that goals are achieved when you give up a momentary desire for something you want much more.  It sounds like you're doing fantastic to CrossFit and then go to yoga!!  I imagine that between the Whole30 and your workouts, the results will be well worth skipping a relaxing dinner!!  It's an inspiration!

I've been doing CF 6 days/week and running 2-3 days/week.  I have found that after eating so much better, my workout recovery time allows for a more rigorous schedule and I feel much more energized during my workouts.  It's so exciting!!  :)

I had one of those moments yesterday in CrossFit..I was actually going to use yesterday as my day off but ended up going, and we were doing wall balls, box jumps, and GHDs, and about halfway through the WOD I got this awesome burst of energy WHILE doing wall balls!  It was the weirdest thing and I just remember thinking, dude, whatever this is, I'll take it!  Amazing the difference when you're fueled.

Day 6!  That went quick so far!  Slept like a log and could barely wake up this morning, but I feel fine now.  Off to yoga in a few minutes. Same song!  Gonna be at this awhile, just trying to fall into a routine and embrace it and find comfort in it!  I actually was worried I might break my yoga challenge today because I almost had to go into work to cover a shift and there's only one class today, but things worked out.  So I'm glad that didn't happen.

Feeling it now...yoga was pretty hard for me today.  It's a challenging class any time, and I'm pretty tired from everything I've been doing.  I'm glad this isn't my first Whole30 because if it was, I think I'd be overwhelmed with adding these other challenges, but because I've done it before, I know the true sweet spot of all this is coming soon and I'll be just fine.  

I do really have to be mindful of my hydration.  I walked in the door from yoga feeling desperately dehydrated.  I can't let that get out of hand, I realize.

Just had a mix of grape tomatoes, okra and peppers, the last two of which were FROM MY GARDEN! That's one of my favorite mixtures (I'm from the south and it's a common dish), and the fact that soon I'll be able to pick it all right before eating it is so awesome!  I'm so ready for my own tomatoes to be ready to pick! I think I planted every kind of tomato known to humans, I'm such a tomato loving nerd!

Off to do some work for a few hours and then get ready for our party!  :)

Day 7!  Shocking that after today the first week will be gone!  And the first weekend...sigh.  Last night was really fun and honestly I didn't mind much not drinking or dipping my veggies in ranch...mmmmmm...but I had a few moments of "ugh, why am I on a diet again?"  This is the worst part for me, just feeling like I'm restricted and "can't" do something.  And I wanted Doritos, of all things!  I never eat stuff like that even normally, but those things looked SO good!  I think I let myself get too hungry in the afternoon while cleaning and getting ready for people to come over.  

I need to do some SERIOUS grocery shopping today.  I managed to get through the first week with minimal stuff in the fridge, which of course is not normal.  I don't want to overshop, which I've also done in the past, but I need more options than I had this week, that's for sure.

Definitely having my first round of blahs.....I think we'll eat out tonight.  It can be done!  

Aaah, ok, I'm feeling a lot better than this morning!  I was really having a pity party moment, I don't know what happened!  

I realized that I needed to snap myself out of it and realize the abundance of awesome food I can have, so I went to the store after  yoga and bought about a zillion vegetables and everything I need to make green curry for dinner.  I have somehow never made paleo green curry before, so I'm excited to try it!  My bf loves "regular" green curry so this might be a tough sell, but I've been wanting to try it for awhile and since he's limiting his carbs on his eating plan, it will be a lo better for him too!

This marks day 7 of my yoga challenge as well!  So far, so good.  I feel less sore than normal from my CrossFit workouts, but I am tired.  I realize I haven't been getting nearly enough carbs so I'm going to focus hard on that this week.  Bought some sweet potatoes and butternut squash.

Today was the first time I sort of got that panicky feeling like I might just drop the ball and not complete this.  I hate that feeling, but I'm not sure how to avoid it.  Anyone have any tips?  I know I felt that way on my other two runs too, but by the time you're done you kind of forget the moment-to-moment stuff that got you there.

Archived