My Third Thirty!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 8! 

JUST woke up (it's early here)!  I woke up easier this morning than the last two.  Hopefully I'm getting into a good groove.  My green curry last night was ok.  My bf loved it more than me!  Anyway.  Craving butternut squash like crazy, I think I'll make some today and have it for lunch and possibly dinner too if there's leftovers.  Since I do have every vegetable know to humanity after my shopping binge yesterday, why not!  

Excited to get back to CrossFit today.  Going three days straight without going is weird, and definitely not my usual.  

OK, I don't know what's suddenly up today, but I have been RAVENOUS all day so far!  It's 2 PM and I've had 3 full meals, and was starving every time!  Super weird!  I don't know if my metabolism is catching up to all the working out I've been doing or what, but man, this is insane!  Hopefully the 2nd lunch will keep me full until dinner, ha!  

Incidentally, Day 8 is when I made my really stupid screwup last time I did this (downed an entire supplement drink and part of a second with soy, sugar, lactose, and a million unpronounceable words in them), so I'll be glad to finish up today with nothing like that happening!  Geez.  I can be a bright one, no question there!  

I can't say I've felt any tiger-ish blood so far, except for that one extra-awesome CF workout, and I'm SO ready for that!  These last couple days have been a bit of a drag.  

Day 9!  Wow, that's crazy!  This is actually flying by right now.  

I realize I'm a nutcase who took on two physical challenges at the same time as Whole30, but I can honestly say I've never seen such amazing physical results from a combination of things I'm doing in my life.  I see dramatic changes from when I started.  Just leaner all over, skin a million times fresher, tummy tighter, legs firmer.....hair a ratty disgusting mess from sweating for hours every day...ha!  

I think that FOR ME (not necessarily anyone else) this yoga challenge along with Whole30 made a lot of sense.  They're both very cleansing and purifying for the body and doing them hand-in-hand makes each more incredible.  I'm really glad I decided to do it.  

As for how I feel otherwise, yesterday I got very tired in the afternoon.  And dragged myself through CrossFit.  Yoga was fine though.   I think something about my eating had been....off.  I can't explain how really.  Unless it was my lack of carbs last week.  But I'd had this sort of nagging hunger that I mentioned before, on and off all weekend and into yesterday.  As soon as I get going today (it's early here), I'm going to make a sweet potato and make sure I eat it today.  I think I really need to focus on getting carbs with the amount of activity I've got going.  I'm ready to feel invincible, which I know is possible at this point.  

I'm proud of myself for managing to stay pretty hydrated in spite of all the sweating and activity.  I've done fairly well at that.  Could still improve of course.

And that's that!  Oh, I made the lime shrimp from Well Fed last night, which is one of our favorites, and if anyone reads this who hasn't tried it, MAKE YOU SOME!!! Best stuff on earth!

Day 10, sitting here, munching my awesome breakfast!  I discovered the most delicious meal yesterday so I'm having it for breakfast today. Kale, sauteed in lemon, garlic and olive oil, a sweet potato, and turkey breast!  Feels almost Thanksgiving-y!  Love it!  Oh, yesterday I had some fresh radishes with it too.

OK, I'm going to say something important, that saved my sanity and possibly kept me going on Whole30:  EAT SOME CARBS!!!  The first week, I realized around day 4 or 5 that I'd had very minimal carbs so far.  But I felt fine so I didn't worry about it.  Saturday I started to feel weird and low-energy and just off.  Sunday was worse, plus I was either stuffing fruit in my face or wanting to basically all day.  Monday I had some butternut squash which seemed to help a little.  Then yesterday I baked two sweet potatoes and had one for lunch.  It was like light shining down from heaven!  I instantly felt so much better, and I had so much more energy for my workout and yoga class!  I can't even tell you the difference, it's amazing!

So yeah, day 10!  I remember from last two how good the double digits felt. Same this time, plus I think the fact that it's exactly 1/3. 

Still going strong on my yoga challenge and my CF workouts.  I think today will be my day off from CF since I'm so brutally sore I can barely move!  My shoulders have been getting a run for their money...if they aren't looking more jacked by the end of this, they're fired! ;)

Day 11!  Not much new to report.  Weird dreams last night, but slept like a log anyway.  Soreness seems a little better today, so hopefully I can survive CF and yoga!  I needed the day off from CF yesterday for sure. Still loving yoga and really glad for this challenge.

Feeling a little antsy....it's going by fast, but I miss grabbing a beer with a friend, or being able to go to a restaurant without it being a huge ordeal.  The social stuff has always been the hardest part of this for me.  

That's it!  Off to get some work done! :)  Happy Day Whatever You're On everybody!

Day 12!  That really sounds awesome!  Hmmmm...had our awesome "spaghetti" for dinner last night, and my bf made a huge batch of the sauce so we'll have more whenever we want!  Sooo good!  I wasn't tired until super late last night for some reason.  The last few nights I've gotten tired really early (for me) but not last night.  I had to make myself go to bed and then I woke up early in the morning.  

Starting my 3 days of yoga in the morning (no night classes on Fri, Sat or Sun).  I'm not a big morning workout person so I have to gear myself up for it each time.  It's nice to have the evening free though!  Tonight we're going to see Rent at the theatre here.  Pretty stoked about that!  

I've been inhaling almond butter the last couple days.  Mostly because I've been constantly hungry, even shortly after a meal, and it's such a quick easy thing to grab.  But I'm at the end of my jar and I think I'm going to avoid buying it for at least a week, because it's becoming a crutch.  No need to repeat the coconut milk fiasco of the last W30, ha!

I think that's it.  Another weekend which makes me nervous.  I think the best thing is to just do the same stuff I would normally do.  As much as possible,anyway.  I'm glad this board is here.  Really helpful at at staying on track!

Have an awesome Friday everyone!

Thanks Beth... I feel so much better today. Bethany, I'm into my weekend already and was just wondering if I will be able to stay strong for the weekend. I sort of fell into this whole30 after a few false starts and am mainly trying to stay off coffee, and reduce how much I eat and was open to the idea of some wine, dark chocolate and potato chips.... But I seem to be going okay so far, and following you and Derval is inspiring me to keep going without the breakouts!

Guest Annie B

I hear you about the social challenge... that is one area, where I have it easy! I have no 'social life' as yet in Greenwood (that ain't what we moved here for)! My closest friends are 2.5 hours away in NC, and I choose a time frame where there wasn't anything on calendar. 

~ Here's to day 13!!!

Day 13!!!!!  That really does sound close to halfway.  Plus, I think Friday nights are my hardest time, I just realized that, because now that it's Saturday I don't feel too worried about the weekend.  There's just something about Fri. night that makes me want to finish up my workday and go out for dinner and get a few drinks.  It feels like a celebratory time, and this week was stressful so that added to it.  But I went to the play with my bf and friends and it was all good.  

Yoga this morning and then a relaxing, no-more-working-out day! Now that's worth celebrating for me for real!  Pretty proud I've stuck to my workout and yoga commitments!  Yesterday I didn't want to go to CrossFit because the workout looked lame, but I went because of my commitment and ended up making major progress on my double-unders (sorry, CF lingo) in the warmup, plus the workout was less lame than it looked.  So glad I had an extra reason that got me to go!

Glad you guys are posting too, Juzbo and Annie!  I'm following you both too, I'll have to stalk Derval as well!

Happy Saturday (Sunday to Juzbo)!

Home from yoga and absolutely killing a kale salad with sweet mini peppers, red onion, sprouts, baby greens, and sunflower seeds, sprinkled with macademia oil and champagne vinegar!  Thought I had an avo to throw in, but the bf must have had it for breakfast! And scrambled eggs with hot sauce. I love me a big, luxurious salad like none other.

Made an appointment for Tuesday for the first of a round of colonics. I figure I might as well ride the body-purifying train to the end!  If I get one each Tuesday for the next three weeks, I'll be having my last one on the last day of my Whole30. Perfect!  Wrapping things up feeling fully cleansed.  (I've had colonics in the past so this isn't a huge deal for me, sorry if it skeeves anyone out!)

That's a new word for me... Skeeves... I like it. You are really pumping Bethany! I am feeling happily sore this morning from yesterday's interval class. Hubby mentioned this morning that I am a lot happier this week, so the no caffeine whole30 is working! Wish my weekend pants weren't still so tight but after 5 days I am starting to feel a little thinner at least.

Off to he market to get me some kale!

Enjoy your Saturday night. Thanks for the welcome too, its hard to be sure sometimes if posts are good or disruptive on others main threads.... You are very welcome on mine!

Guest Annie B

Ha! Dang girl, that is pretty full on... I have never done a colonic, but am certainly open to it. Don't know where I'd go in Greenwood for that! 

Juzbo...stay positive! your body is already thanking you for giving it a chance to heal.... :)

Day 14!  This is officially the first day I didn't wake up and think about Whole30.  Just grabbed my black coffee and a chunk of sweet potato (I have yoga in an hour and that's the only thing I can eat that I won't regret), got online for awhile, then remembered to come here and update.  I like that!  I remember the last half being SO much easier both of the other two times, so I'm glad for that.  

Been watching the CrossFit Games....talk about humans who are inspirations for truly taking care of the human body!  It's not even ok how much I drool over those girls' awesome bodies, ha!

One of the things I love about W30 is all the awesome foods you get in the habit of eating.  Kale, I've been on and off with in the past.  I used to always get this awesome kale salad from a deli near my work, but I could never make it so it tasted like theirs, and I didn't really know how to make anything else with it. Then I changed job locations and never ate it for awhile.  But recently I bought some kale and sauteed it with lemon juice, garlic and olive oil (I think I posted about it) and after that day, I CRAVED kale!  Yesterday I had that awesome homemade salad and I think today I'll make the sauteed kale again.  Love that!  

One other thing I feel inspired to do is continue hot yoga on a VERY regular basis once this is over.  I was going pretty often for about a month before I started, and I just want to keep going consistently after my challenge.  It's amazing how much better my body feels and how much faster I recover from my CrossFit workouts.  Just amazing!  And as for the scheduling, I'm getting just as much work done as I was before, so it is doable.  

K!  Off to a relaxing Sunday....after yoga, obviously!  :)  Happy Day 14 Annie & Juzbo!

That's great Bethany, all of it! I did yoga regularly for a whole year when my new gym opened up and loved it. Like you I am sure it enabled me to do lots of other activity without soreness. Since changing work hours in feb and the surgery in may and lots of business travel I haven't been for six months and am really missing it. But in August my favourite instructor is starting a Monday night class 730pm so I will make sure I go to every one (I rarely travel on a Monday).

Happy third week, I am just about to start my second week of this go. I have started my third whole30 a number of times, got to 20 days in June after some false starts then stuffed up for a few weeks so it's great to finally be in the groove again..... Staying away from coffee makes it easier for sure.

Day 15!  Can't believe it!  

Tropical Storm Flossie is supposed to hit us in a couple hours, so I brought all my potted garden plants into the garage.  Don't want to risk my awesome tomato supply!  

Hmmm...for breakfast, 2 eggs, a little bit of ham, half a sweet tater, and a yummy salad of baby greens, sprouts, onions, and sunflower seeds.  Think I'll marinade some chicken wings to grill for dinner.

That's about it!  Happy to be here!  Happy day all!

Day 16!  

I think I let myself get dehydrated yesterday and I woke up with a headache...which may also be from the weird dreams I was having!

THIS IS A DREAM, NO ONE READ IT AND THINK IT'S REAL!  :)

I dreamed I was at the grocery store and somehow I had two cars, both mine and my boyfriend's, (not sure how I managed that) and when I came out from getting groceries, there were people inside my car and on top of my boyfriend's car, being all aggressive and jumping up and down on the roof, and I yelled at them to get out/away from the cars, and they refused and started yelling at me.  So I called 911, and the operator started telling me a story about her mom and laughing cheerfully and I was like, dude, I'm on a time crunch here, got people destroying two separate vehicles!  So finally a cop car came and it most of the hoodlums ran off, and then the dream got pretty fuzzy and faded out from there!  Needless to say, I was really happy to look outside and see our cars in the driveway this morning, because in the dream, my boyfriend's roof was competely caved in and I was going to have to call him and tell him!  Ha!  Does anyone else have weird dreams on W30?  I remember having them on past ones, and I think I had a few on this one in the first little time period where I was sleeping REALLY deep again.

Things are going pretty well, I think....salmon and kale for dinner last night, and I have sweet potatoes and bacon in the oven, plus will have something green and a couple eggs for breakfast.  I feel really satisfied and good.

I almost missed yoga last night because CrossFit went late, and with the storm I just wanted to go home and cozy up!  But I went.  Glad I did, because otherwise I'd have to double up on classes one day to get my 30 in.  Plus I really wanted to do a class EACH DAY for 30 days.  That's my true goal.  I do realize that it's possible I will miss due to something beyoind my control, but if humanly possible I want to meet my goal.  

We did Nancy in CF yesterday,which is running and overhead squats, and we ran in the wind and rain, which was really fun!  I hadn't run in rain in years.  Reminded me of college, running with my silly girlfriends, splashing each other and stomping in puddles on purpose!

So that's about it.  I think a specific thing I will be taking from this W30 is AN ABSOLUTE LOVE OF KALE!!  I brought home two big grocery bags of it last night!  I want it at practically every meal lately.  It's just so good and I feel amazing after I eat it.  To say that my body responds well to W30 is a complete understatement.  It's just so easy to forget how phenomenal you feel doing this.  The fact that I've been drawn to it 3 separate times in well under a year tells me a lot!  

Happy Day You're On!   ;)

So I jinxed myself with that last post...I missed yoga tonight.  I had my colonic this afternoon which you can't eat for a couple hours before so I didn't have lunch, and by the time I got home it was 3:30 and CrossFit is at 5, so I just had a little bit of sweet potato and some mango.  I think that combined with the weakness I felt from the cleanse, and I barely made it through CF.  Haven't felt that weak in a LOOOOONNNNGGG time!  And I was sweating buckets.  Had to have the coach bring me a coconut water halfway through the workout.  But I got through it.  

There was just no way I was dragging myself into the hot yoga room after that.  I'm trying to push my limits, not traumatize myself!   I'm home now and showered, sitting on the couch in the air conditioning drinking cold water, and I'm still having hot flashes.  I think my body is detoxing massively right now.  That's exactly the feeling I have.  When I think of what I've been doing the last 16 days, it's not surprising I'd have a moment like this.

I'm glad I can be kind to myself and adjust my program as I need to.  I'll make this yoga class up when I feel stronger.  Right now what I need is to relax and rest.  And eat!  I'm ready for an awesome nourishing dinner.  And what do you know, I'm craving kale again!  

Archived