Type 1.5 Diabetic

I am what they call a type 1.5 diabetic......I still produce a very very small amount on insulin so I can't be called a true Type 1.  But I will be on some sort of insulin the rest of my life.  I am very excited about what the whole 30 an do for my sugars.  My one concern is that is states that you should try not to snack between meals.  I usually have a apple and some sort or clean protein between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner.  I think the pre WO would take care of one of those snacks....but I don't know how my sugars will react all day on the whole30

Jennifer

• Moderators

When you get the hang of eating real food in the generous amounts your body needs, your hormonal rhythms improve and you just don't need snacks to keep you going. You can certainly eat something whenever you feel hungry, but the thing to do is to think about eating more at meals if you find yourself needing to snack. Another trick is to eat 4 meals per day at first so that you don't go so long between meals. I ate 5 and occasionally 6 meals per day at first. It took me awhile, but now I am very comfortable eating just 3 times per day. I have experimented with eating just twice per day, but it messes with my sleep, so I eat 3 times daily now.

Hi Jennifer--I am a type 1 (adult onset) and I can tell you that my blood sugars are SOOO much better doing Whole 30/paleo then before. I am much more level and I am doing quite well with out snacks between meals. I do 3 eggs and 2 cups of veg and good fats for meal 1, a large salad with protein, a homemade dressing for lunch and a good dinner of protein, various veggies and good fats again. Since I cut out the grains, I have not had to have the every 2 hour snacks and the have to take insulin to cover the rise in my blood sugar. I think you will be pleasantly surprised! 

I don't have diabetes, but my blood sugar was always up and down in drastic measures. One of the things I wanted to accomplish with W30 was to stop that and eliminate the really bad low blood sugar spells and correct my digestive hormones. Eating larger meals with more protein and fat has done that. It is a process, so it may not happen right away. But you will feel better. Giving up grains (I did that awhile ago) is also a great step to getting off the insulin/low blood sugar ferris wheel.

A Whole 30 combines with a medical condition like diabetes is extra challenging and I think that the most important thing is to follow the plan to the extent that you are able without endangering your health.

I've been a Type 1 Diabetic since the age of 6. I have seen improved blood sugar control since switching to a Paleo diet.

I eat fairly substantial breakfasts but usually still have a morning snack since my blood sugar tends to dip a few hours after breakfast once my long acting insulin kicks in. I'm in the process of re-evaluating my insulin dosages (I take insulin 5 times a day) but this is not an overnight process. If a snack keeps me from experiencing a serious hypoglycemic episode, then I will have the snack.

I would suggest being very vigilant about testing your blood sugar, the fact that you are taking insulin but are also producing it could result in lower blood sugar results...ultimately you will be able to judge if a snack is necessary for you.

ETA: there are a few posts in this forum regarding blood sugar control for diabetics doing a W30. Might be worth checking them out if you haven't already done so.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what I'm classified as concerning my diabetes.  I had insulin-dependent diabetes during my last pregnancy, but it happened very early in the pregnancy leading my doctor to think I had it before I became pregnant.  After delivery, my sugars were high, but I stopped taking insulin.  My doctor wants me on metformin, but I really want to avoid starting medication (plus, I'm breastfeeding and would rather not expose my baby to the meds if I don't have to).  Upon testing my insulin, my level is low (more like type 1 than type 2) and my weight is normal.  My question (finally!) is I have just started my Whole30 on Aug 1st and I don't know if I should do the standard Whole30 program or if I should be doing the Autoimmune Protocol given that Type 1 is more of an autoimmune disorder.  Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

I'm a type 1.5 also on an insulin pump. I frequently have three meals a day and no snacks. If I eat a meal with no carbs I take about 10-20 units of insulin to cover me. On this diet I can see the changes in the effects of exercise immediately and need to reduce my basal insulin by 60% especially over night and also underestimate my carbs. The exercise effect lasts 3days. If you are working out, you need to eat more OR reduce your insulin for a few days. Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing the standard, but am considering doing another whole30 with autoimmune protocols in summer when there's more food around. I do have auto immune issues, I also had Graves' disease about 8 years ago. I do know I can only eat limited nuts, they cause head spins after I eat them, ESP in the morning. I'm on day 8 of a whole30 right now.

Archived