Bacon scammed??

ErinK

I went on Eat Wild.com and found a farm to buy pasture raised bacon. I bought 4 lbs and picked it up today. It was AN HOUR drive to get this damn bacon and I got home and read on the package that it's cured with brown sugar and sodium nitrate. What the hell?? I can't imagine that this would fly on Whole30 even though they're pasture raised right?? I just wasted 40 bucks and a 2 hour drive!

That's what I'll do. I only have a week left. Now as far as the sodium nitrate and brown sugar... is this still a safe protein choice (for after Whole30) because it's from pasture raised pigs? I'm not 100 percent clear on the whole nitrate thing. If it's horrible for me I'll try to see if I can get my money back but if it's okay for after Whole30 I'll treat eat them once in a while.

I have to remember to ask more questions next time I drive an hour for special bacon. Ugh

Nitrates are ok on a Whole30.

​For the future, this is the Whole30-approved bacon: http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=1186&affId=108183

Thanks Chris! I actually looked into that brand but didn't want to pay the handling fee because of the tight budget I'm on (which now seems silly because of the gas I used to drive to the farm that I ordered my bacon from) Live and learn!

Vian thank you for this great article! Just goes to show how easily we can be conditioned to fear certain things. I was afraid of fat for years and I've gotten better results during the Whole30 eating a LOT more fat than I ever have trying to restrict calories and fat. I wish there was more honesty and integrity in the food industry. 

Look into Maverick bacon http://maverickranchmeats.com/html/UncuredNaturalBacon.html  I get it at Publix - it's uncured.  

Is the bacon from happy pigs though? Conventional pork makes me physically ill and the good stuff I can get locally is well out of reach of my budget. I do splurge on very rare occasions and buy two pork chops @$14.99 per lb, like for our anniversary or husbands birthday. They are so good but I cant afford them on a regular basis. The pork belly is somewhat reasonable at $6.99 lb so I buy it more often, maybe a couple times a month. I miss pork at times.. tired of fish/seafood, poultry and beef.  My husband is pretty picky about meats.. no lamb, venison..

Speaking of seafood I used to buy from Costco but I noticed that the shrimp and tilapia are from Tawain and China.. so I stopped buying them. /sigh Looking for another source.

I was able to find pasture raised pig bacon from a farm about an hour away for 10 dollars a lb.. the drive probably added an additional 10 bucks in gas but I stocked up and bought 4 lbs. I don't eat it all that much, mostly just on weekends, so it should last me a bit. I think when I run out I'll buy from US Wellness because the 7.50 handling fee is probably less than the gas I'd use getting to the farm and the bacon is close to the same price. I won't touch factory farmed bacon.

I miss pork at times.. tired of fish/seafood, poultry and beef.  My husband is pretty picky about meats.. no lamb, venison..

Sharon, you may need to take up hunting.  Deer season starts again the end of the month, and our wild hogs are considered an invasive species, so they are always in season.  Plus, they are mostly acorn fed and very good eating.  I'm not a hunter, because in my world that was 'man's work'.  But I've made some friends who are avid hunters and they are willing to take me.  I bought a freezer for $50 from the Collier County Online Yard Sale on facebook, and my goal is to fill it with game.

• 3 weeks later...

Update - Maverick bacon has sugar in it!  So no to Maverick. But I found out that the place where I used to buy ice cream, D'Lites carries a great sugar free bacon from happy pigs. Bought some last night and cooked it this a.m.  Very nice.  :-)

Hi, I am not sure I understand the issue with Bacon, I do understand that salt and sugar are used when curing but when I read through a description of the curing process it is all washed off so there are only trace elements left. Do I understand that wrong? 

And are the nitrates ok then?

Hi, I am not sure I understand the issue with Bacon, I do understand that salt and sugar are used when curing but when I read through a description of the curing process it is all washed off so there are only trace elements left. Do I understand that wrong? 

And are the nitrates ok then?

Bottom line: if sugar is part of a food's ingredient list, it's off-limits for a Whole30. No amount of sugar or sweetener is permitted.

Nitrates are ok.

Archived