I have a theory...am I onto something???

I suggest you look into Matt Stone's stuff: http://180degreehealth.com/. he's definitely not Paleo and sometimes gets way off-base, but his basic message is "dieting will wreck your metabolism; here's how to fix it" and he gives some solid suggestions...just use some common sense and be willing to sift through some nonsense to get the good stuff. 

Now I don't know what to do...

Matt Stone's theories make a lot of sense, but I just read "Diet Recovery 2" and he basically says to eat WHATEVER and how much you want during the first phase and don't exercise....and expect to gain upwards of 30 lbs.  I like his methods of measuring one's metabolism (body temp, etc).  I'm going to try that.  I also think I need to get away from being fearful of carbs.  But I'm not sure I can handle going on a 2-3 month binge of what I consider "junk."  I get that it increases your metabolism; makes sense.  But I would rather not feel like crap in the process if it can be avoided.  Honestly, I'd rather eat whole foods, possibly exercise less, and GRADUALLY rebuild my metabolism.  

Now I don't know what to do...

Matt Stone's theories make a lot of sense, but I just read "Diet Recovery 2" and he basically says to eat WHATEVER and how much you want during the first phase and don't exercise....and expect to gain upwards of 30 lbs.  I like his methods of measuring one's metabolism (body temp, etc).  I'm going to try that.  I also think I need to get away from being fearful of carbs.  But I'm not sure I can handle going on a 2-3 month binge of what I consider "junk."  I get that it increases your metabolism; makes sense.  But I would rather not feel like crap in the process if it can be avoided.  Honestly, I'd rather eat whole foods, possibly exercise less, and GRADUALLY rebuild my metabolism.  

That's why I said, you have to sort through some junk to find the good stuff :) I really wouldn't advise you to start intentionally binging on pancakes and ice cream and whatever else; I just think he has a really useful perspective that you can take some good stuff from (like the temperatures, learning to love the carbs, etc.) and apply it to a W30 framework in a more reasonable and long-term healthy way. You seem to have a nose for the good stuff, which is awesome. I'm sorry if you thought I was advising a 2-month sugar bender; that really wasn't my intention!

Holly, you need to BREATHE, lady!!

There are so many schools of thought out there, and if you keep reading differing opinions on the Internet, you are going to be completely paralyzed with indecision on what's "right."

Given that I'm a Whole30 moderator and that you're ON the Whole30 forums right now, I would encourage you to get off the scale and get out of the gym 100% for the full 30 days. It really sounds like your journey is 80% about your psychological health (in regards to food and fitness), and only 20% weight loss and health.

You need to give your body the chance to recover and repair itself, and you aren't going to do that hanging onto your gym sessions, or counting calories, or worrying about whether the program you choose is the right one. The second guessing is 100% going to backfire on you.

Follow the meal template, make good choices, eat until you're satisfied (even if it takes you a while to learn what that means). Go for some easy walks, maybe do some recuperative yoga, but you need to just relax and commit to one thing before switching channels again. The template was constructed to not support overheating. You will be fine!!!

If you still can't get comfy with that idea, maybe get some personal consulting with the Whole9 team to walk you through your 30 days and tweak your program however you might need, based on your context. (Though I don't think it requires much tweaking; just patience)

That's why I said, you have to sort through some junk to find the good stuff :) I really wouldn't advise you to start intentionally binging on pancakes and ice cream and whatever else; I just think he has a really useful perspective that you can take some good stuff from (like the temperatures, learning to love the carbs, etc.) and apply it to a W30 framework in a more reasonable and long-term healthy way. You seem to have a nose for the good stuff, which is awesome. I'm sorry if you thought I was advising a 2-month sugar bender; that really wasn't my intention!

Oh I know that wasn't your intention.  It just caught me off guard.  He did have some good ideas and I definitely learned a few things.  Carbs to get my metabolism going, for instance. I will definitely be applying his ideas inside a W30 framework.  I love eating good nutritious food and have no desire to go back to SAD.  Thank you!

Holly, you need to BREATHE, lady!!

There are so many schools of thought out there, and if you keep reading differing opinions on the Internet, you are going to be completely paralyzed with indecision on what's "right."

Given that I'm a Whole30 moderator and that you're ON the Whole30 forums right now, I would encourage you to get off the scale and get out of the gym 100% for the full 30 days. It really sounds like your journey is 80% about your psychological health (in regards to food and fitness), and only 20% weight loss and health.

You need to give your body the chance to recover and repair itself, and you aren't going to do that hanging onto your gym sessions, or counting calories, or worrying about whether the program you choose is the right one. The second guessing is 100% going to backfire on you.

Follow the meal template, make good choices, eat until you're satisfied (even if it takes you a while to learn what that means). Go for some easy walks, maybe do some recuperative yoga, but you need to just relax and commit to one thing before switching channels again. The template was constructed to not support overheating. You will be fine!!!

If you still can't get comfy with that idea, maybe get some personal consulting with the Whole9 team to walk you through your 30 days and tweak your program however you might need, based on your context. (Though I don't think it requires much tweaking; just patience)

Thank you!!!!!!!  I really needed to hear that.  As you probably know, I have a little OCD going on here (which is what got me into trouble in the first place!)  You're absolutely right.  

I am having my hubby hide the scale and I am going to go very easy on the exercise for the full 30 days. I've accepted that I may gain a few pounds, but if that's what my body needs to do in order to "reset," then so be it.  I am in this to get my health back, but also to change my relationship with food and exercise.  I can't keep going like this, and who would want to?  There has to be more to life than micromanaging everything I put in my mouth and feeling guilty about missing a workout.  

So...HERE WE GO, WHOLE30!

As far as worrying about missing a workout, here is something that helped me (because I feel that most athletes suffer from exercise bulimia/fear of missing a workout to a degree, hense the reason so many athletes dont take enough down time to heal injuries) At my gym there is a pyramid diagram. At the bottom is nutrition, and above that is metabolic conditioning, then above that is gymnastics, then weightlifting and throwing, then sport. Any improvement on a lower tier will positively effect the higher tiers, while any deficit will adversely effect the tiers above it. So nutrition being the base, is the most important. Eating poorly will have a greater negative effect towards your goals than missing a workout. So when I have to take time off for any reason, I am able to remind myself that as long as I continue to focus on nutrition, I am still positively impacting the workout related skills above.

Ophelia's pyramid reminded me of reading about the 9 factors recently.  I also think it was Renee who reminded me a while back that mastering the first one is top priority in the beginning.  (That was in a discussion about carb cycling.)  I'll be studying FODMAPs with you, Holly, for now, continuing my sleep30, and maybe we can be virtual yoga buddies.

The factors:

http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole9-our-9-factors/

Ha your mind sounds a little like mine! Latching onto certain ideas, obsessing over calories - all sounds a little familiar!

I really think you have to completely let go and just embrace the whole 30 process? I found myself in the same position when embarking on my first whole 30. I'm a personal trainer, I know the calories in every food by heart - so mentally forcing myself not to count calories was tough. Also I exercise away my eating sins, so in the past if I overrate I would run 6 miles to burn the calories off.

A year ago I had a baby, and since then my hormones/eating have been totally out of control. I constantly craved white refined carbs, had no energy, lost all motivation for exercise, gained a ton of weight, and was diagnosed with post partum thyroiditis - an underactive thyroid condition caused by pregnancy, that I was told could be reversed through lifestyle.

So when I started my first whole 30, it was primarily with the aim of balancing my hormones and sorting out my thyroid - but I'm not going to lie, I was desperate to lose weight!

I decided to crack the nutrition and the healing first, my workouts were terrible anyway, I had no energy, my runs just left me hungry so I ate more, so I decided for my whole 30 that I wasn't going to train - just walk. I didn't want fluctuations in my appetite from training, and trying to balance pre/post workout meals, I didn't want intense workouts disrupting my hormones, so I took a break and just made sure I walked my dogs for a couple of hours each day - for me this made my whole 30 work, I was purely working to a 3 meal per day template, and it gave me some head space to think about my eating habits.

I totally resisted the temptation of stepping on the scales, knowing that seeing a number more than I wanted would set me back, and at the end of the day it's just a number? I found not counting calories difficult, and eating fat with all those calories was totally alien, and should I cut out starchy carbs? How many sweet potatoes are too much? In the end I just tried to chill out! I combined protein and fat and veggies and I ate until I was full - full enough to satisfy me until my next meal. I've no idea what my weight did during those 30 days, but I did know that I had more energy, was sleeping better, had clearer skin, was sure that my hormones were more balanced? At the end of the whole 30 I wasn't even sure if I should step on the scale - the wrong number could completely undo my mental good work? I did step on the scale though and I'd lost 15 pounds :)

It sounds as if you are letting your mind be your worst enemy. Let go and embrace the process, follow the template and I'd honestly recommend dropping the exercise - just for a few weeks while you get a handle on your metabolism. Walk, do some yoga, take some time for yourself and start to listen to your body and trust yourself? Give it 30 full days and then maybe evaluate your whole 30 and think about what you need to change for the next ?

Good luck

WOW, redjasmin!!!  Were we separated at birth???  :)

The main reason I need to do this is to change my relationship with food and exercise.  It's funny you mentioned my mind being my worst enemy.  I've been told that since I was a toddler!  Over-analyze, over-think, over-commit, over-analyze some more.....and on, and on, and on.  You are ABSOLUTELY right, I need to tackle the nutrition part head-on without the constant worry over exercise and pre/post-workout meals.  This has been going on for years, so I think it's time I took a month off, right? Who knows, maybe I'll start to MISS exercise instead of dreading it like a punishment for eating crap food.

Like you I know the calories in virtually anything, and I find myself adding things up in my head.  Ugh!  There is such a thing as knowing too much.  -_-

This past "Whole30" (quotes because it wasn't a true W30) was a bit of a disaster, but I know now that I NEEDED this past month to learn and get to a place where I can fully embrace this process.  I think I've learned more about myself in these past two weeks than ever before.  

Hello, my name is Holly.  And I'm a neurotic head-case dieter and fitness-addict.

Ophelia's pyramid reminded me of reading about the 9 factors recently.  I also think it was Renee who reminded me a while back that mastering the first one is top priority in the beginning.  (That was in a discussion about carb cycling.)  I'll be studying FODMAPs with you, Holly, for now, continuing my sleep30, and maybe we can be virtual yoga buddies.

The factors:

http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole9-our-9-factors/

Thank you, Nico!  The factors are really cool...I need to carry them in my purse everywhere I go  :)

You know, I went into this July W30 thinking, "You got this, Holly.  You already eat great and exercise.  No biggie."  WOW was I wrong!  Yes, I was eating healthy and exercising, but HOLY CRAP did my head get in the way!!!!  I now believe this is for my mental/psychological well-being even more than my physical well-being.  For my first REAL W30, I will not be carb-cycling or analyzing ratios.....I need a break from all that.  What's the saying from ISWF?  "Just eat good food?"  That's what I'm going to do.....and CHILL THE HELL OUT!

I am super excited to start yoga again.  While I won't be teaching this time (I really miss that  :( ), I can use this time to reconnect with my mind and body.  Teaching carries a whole other set of stressors.  Hooray for yoga!!!!!!  Okay, now I'm excited  :D

Best solution, stick to an approach for  6 months.  Eat clean, resistance train, sleep, not over think it.  Humans as a race aren't just figuring out how to be/look/feel healthy.  It's pretty simple and straightforward.  There's no over night cure, there's no silver bullet... it's just  sticktoitiveness, hard work, responsible decisions and less bellyaching.  Achievement is a conscious decision.

Archived