Thinning Hair

Steph912

I know this isn't a problem that only ladies have, but it's a little but different for us gals. A few years ago I was diagnosed by a dermatologist with female pattern hairloss. This is genetic I suppose. But one of my main reasons for doing Whole30 was to see if maybe eating this way could help reverse this and/or stop the loss. I went to a naturopath who is also an MD who told me to cut out dairy and gluten. I couldnt do it at the time, but now im on day 10 of Whole30 and feeling strong. So I'm wondering if anyone here has had a similar problem and if you've experienced some regrowth.

Thanks so much!!!

I experienced thinning hair problems due to being chronically fatigued and poor dietary choices a few years ago. My pony tail went from being so thick it took multiple hair bands to be held up to being about the size of my thumb. Cried a few tears over that for sure. I'm happy to tell you that things have turned around since, but it's not a change you will see in 30 days. Your hair my start to appear shinier during your w30, but hair growth cycles take about 3 months. So the changes you see in your hair today are the results of life style factors in March/April. Be patient with the process, avoid dairy as best you can and gluten at all costs. Be kind to your hair as well, no coloring or harsh treatments. Coconut oil conditioners are lovely! Consistently eating adequate calories from w30 approved protein and fats are key to long term recovery. I know how hard this is and what it can do to a woman's confidence. Just know you are on the right track towards better health and your hair will eventually be the proof.

Take care!

My hair has been thinning since I had my kids :( In the last month I have started taking a biotin and a hair,nails, and skin supplement. Haven't noticed less hair falling out but my nails are super strong so I'm hoping the hair will follow!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this same problem. First noticed it in college and I think it was due to stress. I hope that healthy eating and stress reduction will help with this. I had such thick hair growing up, I miss it now. I am glad to hear that other have had success. I'll have to add some biotin to my supplements I think. My nails are more brittle now than they used to be as well.

• 2 weeks later...

That was one of the first things I suspected, since my mom has hypothyroidism problems and those things can tend to run in families - but my thyroid levels are well within normal range. Definitely worth checking though.

I think part of my problem MAY be poor nutrient absorption due to latent celiac - which my doctor refused to test me for - but now that I am on new insurance and will be seeking out a new doctor I am going to look for one that is pro-midwife (because I absolutely want a midwife when I have kids), paleo friendly and willing to do the blood tests for celiac at least - it's not as if it's going to hurt me more than the regular blood work I ask for anyway.

Archived