That durianrider and crazy banana girl

I have been on Paleo for 12 days now and whole30 for 2.

How I got into Paleo was a total accident. I was on a good old fitness classic diet for a long time- High Protein, low to moderate carb, and low fat.

Just like other ill informed people, I used to think Paleo diet is crazy! However, after reading Whole 30, and other two  popular Paleo books,  and tons of blogs out there, I braved myself to try it and I am loving it so far. I don't have sugar cravings. More than anything, I just love the fact that I can have a whole avocado, eat macadamia nuts, egg yorks, and coconut cream! All of these used to be big 'No's on my grocery list. For the first time in a decade, I had an oven roasted chicken with skin intacted without a guilt! Also, I am not hungry anymore. It's amazing how extra little fat in my diet will actually keeps me full.

Then, I came across crazy banana girl video. I have seen her popping up here and there on internet but always dismissed her as a crazy vegan. But today, I watched her then went to her facebook page where she was chugging a half gallon of melon juice with a half cup of sugar added. 

I lOVE FRUIT. I have been on Paleo only for 12 days .... :wacko:

Chugging a half gallon of melon juice, or eating 15 bananas sounds quite good to me now..

Here is my dilemma. She is eating a super high amount of carb but low everything else. How does this work while carb is what sets us off according to many other diets out there, especially Paleo.

I just can not get my head wrapped around it. Is fruit sugar different? Or is it fruit and meat combination that kills the deal?

May be fruit carb works differently?

Juicing and added sugar wouldn't be Paleo, and especially aren't Whole30.  So crazy banana lady is for entertainment purposes only.  :lol:

Just follow the template: a palm-size portion of meat, a thumb-size portion of fat, and fill your plate with veggies.  Solid gold.  You can have 1-2 fruits per day.  No juice, and no sugar, but have fun watching crazy YouTube vids.  ;)

Carry on (and next time post links to crazy banana people videos :P )!!

I think when it comes to nutrition, you can read too much into it? You can follow a programme to the letter and find someone else who with do the total opposite and still get 'results' ie look slim and fit. I'm a personal trainer and before I had my youngest baby I lived on sugar! I did tons of exercise and managed to stay slim, but my diet was very high in both fruit and refined sugar, which I craved all of the time! I was the slimmest and "fittest" I've ever been, yet I didn't sleep well, my skin was bad, some of my workouts were sluggish. All I can say is the benefits I've had from doing a whole 30 have gone way beyond just making me slimmer. You can achieve weight loss without being fit, you can be fit and overweight, you can be fit and slim but unhealthy - now I want the full package :)

I used to be a raw food vegan. I chugged loads of fresh juice and ate tons of fruit. Frederick Patenaude was the raw food guru who really advocated a high fruit, low fat approach. I read his books and did my best to follow them, unfortunately I never felt well on them. Reading everyone else's success stories made me feel I must be doing something wrong.

When I found Paleo and particularly W30, I felt so much better. Interestingly Patenuade now writes for Renegade Health but admits he has totally changed his eating plan and is no longer a raw foodist. The owner of the site, Kevin Gianna has changed as well. I now have absolutely no doubts that a Paleo approach is far healthier than consuming that much sugar. As for adding sugar to melon juice that just yeuch :wacko:

Archived