Laura B's Whole30

Laura B

Day 17

Chest & Triceps workout AM

Pre: 2 turkey hot dogs, a few macadamias

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, broiled sweet potato & yellow pepper, 1/2 avocado, cherry tomatoes

Lunch: left over steak on a romain salad with cherry tomatoes, onion & blueberries with olive oil & balsamic and a sweet potato

Snack: 1/2 a pack of smoked salmon, a cucumber from the garden, some slaw & a few macadamias. I was soo hungry today! I try to get by without a snack, but I also want to eat dinner around 6:30/7. I just try to keep it at a mini meal & no fruit :)

Dinner: I made a ground meat skillet from the book. I did my best to do the Asian beef and broccoli, but I do not have coconut aminos. It was good, regardless. I did not like it quite as much as the beef & sweet potato hash from the book, but I digress. I also broiled some zucchini that I had brushed with coconut oil and then I put some TJ's jalapeno sauce on it, finished with some berries & coconut milk.

Very tasty!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 18

Sprint workout at the track

Pre: 2 turkey hot dogs & macadamias

Post: sweet potato baby food, smoked salmon & some watermelon

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled, leftover veggies, baked sweet potato, 1/2 avocado, blueberries

Today we are going to the farmer's market. I have wanted to go all summer (which starts in May for us in GA), but I am so busy with work at old navy (my 2nd job) and workouts we never make it. I am really excited, I am hoping to get some beef and veggies. I would love to get some pastured eggs, but I have enough organic eggs in my fridge now.

Lunch: 1 chorizo link sauteed with a red pepper and some leeks (first time trying those--they were good!) a sweet potato & steamed zuppa zucchini.

Farmer's market was great! I got sweet potatoes, a couple of eggplant, butternut squash, beets (which I have never had before and I am pretty excited to try them), some bok choy (also haven't had before) smoked trout & some ground pork!

Dinner: leftover's from yesterday's dinner: ground beef & broccoli with some roasted eggplant

Day 19

Today I declared my official rest day!! Until I started purging my closet and decided to do yard work (oops!). I woke up and had breakfast and relaxed with The Paleo Solution (which I am really glad I picked up!)I haven't had an entire day off from work in 2 weeks. I am getting run down. I decided last night that I am going to take a 1 month sabbatical from my 2nd job as I try to transition further into paleo and eventually crossfit. I want to sign up for CrossFit like NOW, but I have to break up with my trainer first and make sure I don't have to do an additional month due to lack of notice. *Fingers crossed*. I think it will be really good for me to take additional time for myself. I need to worry less about money (I can do fine without the additional income, I just like the discount!) and stop buying unnecessary crap! I feel like I spend a lot more money on food, but that's ok with me. I need to nourish my body, I don't need to decorate it with perfect outfits! Although I do get frustrated that my body keeps changing and my clothes stay the same. Oh well!

Breakfast: 3 eggs, spinach & leeks sauteed in ghee, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 med sweet potato, broccoli slaw & some watermelon

Lunch: While doing yardwork, I had a Larabar as I was unsure of when we would get home (we were taking plants from my parents yard to put in ours), then had leftover beef & broccoli and some broccoli slaw

Dinner: I made pork burgers using some ground pork I got at the farmers market, broiled with some pineapple spears, stir fry of: bok choy, carrots, mushrooms & leeks & steamed beets! The beets were good. I wanted to roast them but couldn't since I was using the broiler. And the pork burgers were AWESOME. The meat was relatively lean as well so I'm happy :)

I hope you trainer is obliging for you :)

I buy a lot of my clothes in charity(thrift shops in u.s?) shops so I can keep getting new stuff without shelling out loads of money. It's quite the hobby of mine! Today I'm wearing a pair of 7forallmankind jeans I got for €9!

I hope you trainer is obliging for you :)

I buy a lot of my clothes in charity(thrift shops in u.s?) shops so I can keep getting new stuff without shelling out loads of money. It's quite the hobby of mine! Today I'm wearing a pair of 7forallmankind jeans I got for €9!

I love second hand shops, I am just impatient! I hate having to search, but it is definitely worth it. I will have to spend a little more time there before going to the new stores. And that is amazing for a pair of 7's! I usually have difficulty finding pants as I need a longer inseam. :\

Day 20

Breakfast (5am): 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, sauteed spinach & mushrooms, mashed sweet potato with coconut milk and a pineapple spear

I have a work event today for my sales job. We have to be at the golf course at 7:30 and we are not allowed to bring in outside food or drinks. I have no idea how long we will be there and the company in charge won't give us an idea, either. I have packed a can of salmon, some cashews and a jar of sweet potato baby food in my purse. I imagine by 9 or 10 I will be ready to eat again. I also have a shrimp salad and half a sweet potato packed in a cooler to leave in my car, just in case. THEN I have to work at my other job tonight at 5:30. I plan on throwing some leftovers into 1 tupperware for dinner. Should be an interesting day! Needless to say, I will be sleeping in tomorrow. I did get to bed by about 8:30 last night in preparation for today! Sleep is #1!!

Lunch(11am): Shrimp with romaine salad, orange pepper, cherry tomatoes, pink lady apple bits, wholly guacamole & half sweet potatot + some cashews

Dinner(4pm): Pork burger, leftover stir fry & beets, 1/2 avocado

Snack @ work (7:30pm) 2 applegate farm turkey hot dogs & spicy mustard.

I didn't get out of work until 10:30 and immediately went to bed. I slept until about 7:20, though which is pretty late for me so yay! I am really trying to make sleep a priority to reduce my stress levels!

Day 21 (Wow officially 3 weeks!)

Like I said in yesterday's log, I slept in until 7:20 and declared today a "lazy" type of day. No gym at all, and in the bed by 8:30 since I meet with my trainer in the morning.

Breakfast: I made a kebob with chorizo (1.5 links), red pepper, onion, some mushroom (the slices wouldn't quite stay on, I need the bulbs), steamed asparagus & 1/2 avocado. I'm going to try to skip eggs in my breakfast for at least 2 days a week now.

16ed0dc8db0811e1b39e22000a1e88a5_7.jpg

9e25a31edb0711e18e3c22000a1e8b97_7.jpg

It was delicious!!

Lunch: leftover pork burger, 1/2 avocado, broiled eggplant & steam sauteed bok choy & mushrooms

Dinner: I made a chicken, butternut squash and pesto bake from paleOMG and have some beets roasting separately in a foil packet. I don't think the beets will be done for dinner, so I will likely have some more eggplant or maybe some steamed carrots.

I went to the gym tonight and turned in my notice to cancel my personal training. I was concerned they would charge me again on the 15th (the usual) for August, but they said they would waive the charge. Now I just have to meet with my trainer in the morning and let him know. I know it will be a little difficult, but it's truly what I want.

Day 22

Back & Biceps workout 5:30am

Pre: 2 turkey hot dogs, cashews

I told my trainer I cancelled the contract and that I was going to sign up for CF. At first he seemed a little disappointed, but he thought I was going to do this psuedo CF class my gym just started offering. When I told him I was going to join a REAL CF gym he was really excited for me! It was pretty funny. He is a bodybuilder, so I wasn't sure how he would react. Obviously he doesn't want to lose me as a client, but he wants whatever will keep me "in the fitness game" and happy. He is an awesome guy. He even said that when he is "done" with the bodybuilding scene he wants to get into CrossFit and hit the competitions.

I am going on a week vacation a week from Saturday, so I am going to wait to contact the CF box until I get back. I don't want to start and then take a week off. This next week I am going to do some training, some sprints and just kind of take it easy. I need it!

Breakfast: HUGE egg scramble, 1 bell pepper, 1 small onion 3 eggs, 3 carrots steamed, 1/2 avocado. That is Trader Joe's Jalapeno hot sauce and it is BOMB.

ca6725b6dbce11e195e3123138048d2c_7.jpg

Lunch: pork burger, asparagus, broccoli slaw, almonds

Dinner: pesto chicken, butternut squash, broccoli with guac & roasted beets

Your skewer looks so good! And congrats on starting CF! I'm planning on starting in about a month...after Whole30 and after a bit of self-conditioning. I am really out of shape :-/ kinda worried, but I know it's the best! Let us know how it goes :)

This W30 has opened my eyes so much. My W30 will be over when I transition into CF. I wanted to start ASAP, but I am trying to practice patience as I think it will help my stress levels. I want to enjoy my W30 on it's own and then enjoy CF as a supplement to that :)

And do not be worried! From my understanding, CF is all about community and I believe they will embrace you as long as you show effort and confidence (you have to believe in yourself at least a little or you wouldn't be considering it!) Go get 'em!!

Day 23...Wow only 7 days left! Every morning I have to scroll up to see what day I am on! I just love that. I am looking forward to having a piece of chocolate when I'm done, though. :P

5:30 am Leg workout

Pre: very small chicken thigh with mayo

Breakfast: Giant chorizo scramble with a yellow pepper, an onion, some broccoli and a few mushrooms. Homemade guac for dipping & a baby tomato from the garden.

62559c26dc9811e1a4d022000a1e95fe_7.jpg

Lunch: Leftover pesto chicken and butternut squash, asparagus, broccoli slaw & kraut

Dinner: 2 drumsticks, italian green beans with guac & stir fry bok choy, spinach & mushrooms

Day 24

Breakfast (5am): 3 eggs scrambled with mushrooms & onions, steamed carrots & green beans, guacamole & some beet. I really wanted to like beets, but I just don't. I really don't like the smell they give off.

Lunch (11am): I made some chicken salad that I am going to eat wrapped in romaine with tomatoes & cucumbers and I packed broccoli to go on the side.

6366f6c8dd7e11e1a0c81231380ff428_7.jpg

I also had a half sweet potato mashed with coconut milk and blueberries. I was sinking back into worrying about how many carbs I was having and generally over-thinking what I'm eating after reading The Paleo Solution. I am not gorging out on sweet potatoes all day everyday so I need not worry about it. I'm just gonna eat the damn sweet potatoes because they are yummy and make me happy. So there.

Snack (3:30) Larabar (I got some from whole foods and just really wanted to try it. Probably goes along the lines of not depriving myself anymore, I'm ok with it), a few shrimp with hot sauce and a little broccoli slaw.

Dinner: (6:30) Well Fed's Meatza, Mashed Cauliflower and extra toppings that didn't fit on the meatza. It was SO GOOD!!

c3d9d61eddbb11e1b0a81231380e69dd_7.jpg

That stuff is dangerous unless you make a very small batch!

I even thought to myself as I was making it "Hmm a whole cup...I'll just save half of it". And then I sat down at the computer and it was gone. It was delicious, no guilt here :)

I'm just starting my journey and have enjoyed reading your log -- and so many good food ideas in it, and the pictures are lovely! Keep up the good work.

Maggie

Thank you, Maggie! I feel as if I am getting into a bit of a rut lately. I'm trying to keep it interesting by winging it, but I am going to buckle down this next week and work on new recipes :)

Good luck on your journey, it is incredibly empowering and eye-opening!

Day 25

Breakfast: 3 egg cups, sauteed broccoli & mushrooms and a sweet potato mashed with a little coconut milk and blueberries.

My breakfast was AWESOME. I was feeling in a bit of a cooking rut the past few days and I feel rejuvenated after making Well Fed's Meatza, Mashed Cauliflower and then making egg cups!!

20b7b5d2de1f11e1a78c12313804ce91_7.jpg

4d5633f2de2411e1b4791231381b4b1e_7.jpg

So glorious. I was 1 egg short of a dozen so I have 8 more in the fridge. I filled all with onions and then varied them with green peppers, mushrooms or broccoli. I need to get some silicone baking cups :D

Today was my last shift at Old Navy for about a month (probably a little less) and I had a snack on my break of carrot sticks, sliced bell pepper a few slices of applegate farms turkey bologna and homemade mayo mixed with TJ's red jalapeno hot sauce for dipping.

Lunch: 2 drumsticks, some mashed cauli, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 sweet potato, romaine salad with cucumbers, onions & balsamic and some blueberries in a little coconut milk. Then while I was eating my blueberries my boyfriend brought in the coconut butter I had ordere...O M G...wow. I never thought anything could beat peanut butter. Life. Changing.

Dinner: Leftover Meatza & Cauliflower with roasted acorn squash and carrots

Good luck on your journey, it is incredibly empowering and eye-opening!

thanks Laura. and thanks for the reminder that slaying that daggone sugar dragon is going to make me stronger not weaker... it sometimes whispers lies to me about how silly all of this compliant stuff is... lies lies lies. you're right, this journey is so empowering and eyeopening!

I love the eggcup thingys. A must try to be sure.

Maggie

Day 26

Breakfast: 3 egg cups, 1/2 avocado, sauteed broccoli, small sweet potato & blueberries.

We are going fishing today! I packed a lunch of: chicken thigh, 1/2 bell pepper, 1/2 sweet potato, some cashews and blueberries. I also brought a larabar just in case I need something else at any point.

Snack: Pepper & carrots with spicy mayo for dipping and a couple slices of turkey bologna.

Dinner: pan seared sea scallops with sauteed mushrooms and spinach, grilled brussels sprouts and 1/2 avocado.

Sounds like you are doing awesome. I'm impressed with all your cooking. I read all these logs and think my food is pretty boring. I don't mind eating the same thing over and over though. I could eat eggs for breakfast every day. Ground beef and marinara over cauliflower, kale or cabbage too. Think there might be something comforting about the routine to me.

I read you are beginning CrossFit soon. I live very close to the CrossFit East Cobb. Is that the one where you will train? Would love to try it one day, but I need to workout in the mornings and none of the times work. Two kids to get ready for elementary school and take to the bus, one to get to preschool and then pickup. NONE of the morning times work for me. Maybe next year when my youngest starts kindergarten I'll give it a try. Thankfully I absolutely LOVE my trainer.

Have fun fishing!

Sounds like you are doing awesome. I'm impressed with all your cooking. I read all these logs and think my food is pretty boring. I don't mind eating the same thing over and over though. I could eat eggs for breakfast every day. Ground beef and marinara over cauliflower, kale or cabbage too. Think there might be something comforting about the routine to me.

I read you are beginning CrossFit soon. I live very close to the CrossFit East Cobb. Is that the one where you will train? Would love to try it one day, but I need to workout in the mornings and none of the times work. Two kids to get ready for elementary school and take to the bus, one to get to preschool and then pickup. NONE of the morning times work for me. Maybe next year when my youngest starts kindergarten I'll give it a try. Thankfully I absolutely LOVE my trainer.

Have fun fishing!

Thank you! I love to cook and I usually don't get bored, but I have gotten this new urge to try as many new foods as I can. I don't want to feel like I'm limiting myself at all. I also love eggs for breakfast and I am really glad to be eating the yolks again :)

I can't wait to start CF! I will probably end up joining CrossFit Garage which is in Woodstock off Hwy 92. It's the closest to me, although CrossFit Marietta looks like it would be more affordable. I think they have a monthly punch card membership where you can go 3x a week for $110. I just don't know if I want to deal with that commute, even though it isn't that far. I LOVED my trainer...he is awesome, but I just need to do CF to grow I think. I don't want to get stuck in a rut of training, but I'm keeping my other gym membership (it's only $10/month) so I will be able to switch it up no matter what.

LauraB - Best of luck to you whichever location you choose. I've met people that go to East Cobb, the one near Windy Hill, and the one in Roswell (North Fulton?). They all seemed happy with their choice.

I didn't like to cook when I was single, or when I got married, and I still don't like to cook and I have three kids. I don't mind cooking as much as I did before, but I still don't get too excited about it! And yes, yolks are very good.

Archived