What Have I Done? Did you feel this way?

LeanIn2013

I'm coming off my 4th whole 30 as of yesterday.  I really thought I could handle not reintroducing dairy, sugar and wheat one at a time so I reintroduced them all at one time.

Stupid!  I'm windy as in my tummy, my mind is racing madly, I'm feeling bizarrely happy, anxious, motivated, fearful, frustrated and almost panicky all in one go.  Two days ago I felt brilliant,  but since I've had 4 teas with sugar and milk, a piece of ginger cake, a chicken and sundried tomato quiche, cappuccino with no sugar, and a donut later and I'm a nut job :(

I think it was because it was "the end" of my 4th  Whole 30.  It was a mind thing. 

I want back that feeling and that lovely calm, but I'm fearful I won't get it back.

I'm plotting and planning to get back on track with not another whole 30 but a whole life style.  Can it be done for a life time???

My Plan to better myself

• putting up a reminder board where I can mark off one day at a time until it become second nature to have this eating life style
  • Soup is made for lunches for the rest of the week.  Opt for this instead of the temptation to eat out because it's pay week
  • Layout clothes for a walk in the morning.  
  • Get up at 6am for walking because you know you always feel better when you are up with the sun.
  • Do PT exercises and mark it off on your list
  • veggies that are cut up in the fridge are there for breakfast there are enough for the rest of the week
  • stick strickly to the three meals a day, include a piece of fruit for breakfast and dinner 
  • take 15 minutes a day to make a list at work - it keeps you calmer
  • take 15 minutes a day to tidy the house - it keeps you motivated.

Any suggestion, thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. 

Given it's your 4th Whole30, why reintroduce at all?  Have you reintroduced in prior Whole30's?  If so, why the need to go through that process again?

Your plan to better yourself looks terrific - significantly better than calling yourself stupid.  ;) 

This is part of riding your own bike - figuring out what works and doesn't work for your body and well-being. 

Don't beat yourself up. Its purely psychological that you think you will not get back those good feelings... but you will. I promise. It is just your mind playing tricks with you. It reminds me of that feeling you have when you are ruthlessly hung over and ill and feel you will never be well again. 

There is no rule that says you have to re-introduce anything if you don't want to. Just keep doing what you were doing and feeling how good you were feeling. Then if something comes along that you think is a once a year, truly delicious, smashing meal then go for it! But maybe think twice if it something like a cappuccino. Is that worth it?

Dust yourself down and get back on the horse. You are only human ;)

I'm plotting and planning to get back on track with not another whole 30 but a whole life style.  Can it be done for a life time???

I think so. But you have to understand and accept your personal limitations and what the off-plan foods do to you. Wheat, sugar, and diet soda made up the core of my pre-W30 diet. Now whenever I try to allow them back "in moderation" I quickly spiral out of control. There is an addictive component to these foods, so I understand now that it's not just my lack of willpower that makes me want moremoremore when I have some. It's not my fault. It's not realistic to say never again though either (well...for diet soda it is). I'm going to experiment with having a 'special occasion' every month or two or three. I'm not going to call it a cheat day. I will enjoy some of those foods on one day, and then immediately eliminate them again for at least a month. It takes me at least 1.5-2 weeks to completely get over the cravings and feel calm/in control again. You just have to play around with it, watch your physical and emotional reactions, and figure out what amount of off-roading works for you without making you totally crazy.

the reason we don't do a whole30 as a wholeLifetime is because life happens. it's not realistic to eat this way every single meal of your life. Tom talked about it in some other posts and I appreciated his response (I did a whole100 and was terrified of "going out" on binges).

my attempt at this whole life is to eat as close to whole30 as possible but when I'm out to eat, etc, I don't ask every question, etc. I am still finding out if this works for me or if it doesn't. what a crazy journey!

I really liked the post a couple days ago about how we talk to ourselves and using the words "slip" or "cheat" and just realize that we made a choice without negative or positive labels attached. I'm not sure I'm there yet but I'm trying!!

so look at how far you've come! YAY!

btw it was my daughter's second birthday yesterday. I had ice cream with some home made berry sauce and whipped cream. then I added the jarred caramel and fudge. and I feel so incredibly sick this morning...so your post helped me so much. I need to remember that I'm not alone on this journey and that we all just pick up, learn, and move on.

Thanks all for your post.  I totally lost it again yesterday and today I am suffering more than ever.  But I'm glad to say that today I have been totally on track.  :)

Given it's your 4th Whole30, why reintroduce at all?  Have you reintroduced in prior Whole30's?  If so, why the need to go through that process again?

Your plan to better yourself looks terrific - significantly better than calling yourself stupid.   ;) 

This is part of riding your own bike - figuring out what works and doesn't work for your body and well-being. 

Very Good point GFChris.  I have reintro'ed my prior Whole30's and found that  dairy made me so windy, sugar gave me a massive headache and wheat made my tummy swell very badly.  So yes, why go through the process again.  Thanks for the thoughts on my plan and yes much better than negative self talking.  I guess it is just like riding the bike, scuffed knees and all.  It's very clear now that reintroducing things are not necessary an are just down right painful. 

Don't beat yourself up. Its purely psychological that you think you will not get back those good feelings... but you will. I promise. It is just your mind playing tricks with you. It reminds me of that feeling you have when you are ruthlessly hung over and ill and feel you will never be well again. 

There is no rule that says you have to re-introduce anything if you don't want to. Just keep doing what you were doing and feeling how good you were feeling. Then if something comes along that you think is a once a year, truly delicious, smashing meal then go for it! But maybe think twice if it something like a cappuccino. Is that worth it?

Dust yourself down and get back on the horse. You are only human  ;)

Thanks Bargey for your kind words.  I think it was they psychological stuff that stopped me before getting back on the horse, but I'm really happy to say that I'm definitely back on it. :) Yesterday I stuffed around again and ate pizza and garlic bread for a chain store.  I can honestly say that I am still regretting it 24 hours later.  I could taste the chemicals in the pizza.  It was a case of bad planning and not setting myself up to be successful.  I'll tell you today I spent it setting myself up for a week of success.  I can say that I have never been hung over in my life but if this is what being hung over feels like I am SERIOUSLY not interested.  I feel so horrid.  Thanks again :)

I think so. But you have to understand and accept your personal limitations and what the off-plan foods do to you. Wheat, sugar, and diet soda made up the core of my pre-W30 diet. Now whenever I try to allow them back "in moderation" I quickly spiral out of control. There is an addictive component to these foods, so I understand now that it's not just my lack of willpower that makes me want moremoremore when I have some. It's not my fault. It's not realistic to say never again though either (well...for diet soda it is). I'm going to experiment with having a 'special occasion' every month or two or three. I'm not going to call it a cheat day. I will enjoy some of those foods on one day, and then immediately eliminate them again for at least a month. It takes me at least 1.5-2 weeks to completely get over the cravings and feel calm/in control again. You just have to play around with it, watch your physical and emotional reactions, and figure out what amount of off-roading works for you without making you totally crazy.

Thanks JJB - I can really relate to what you are saying about allowing wheat, sugar and diet soda back in your life even if just a little bit.  That is the way I am with sugar and dairy.  I'll have one and it will turn into 6 in a 3 day period.  I guess we will always have those life days when we don't have whole foods with us, maybe it's just about making the best possible decision with what we have to eat.  I'll just have to opt for things that don't make me a nutter! :)

the reason we don't do a whole30 as a wholeLifetime is because life happens. it's not realistic to eat this way every single meal of your life. Tom talked about it in some other posts and I appreciated his response (I did a whole100 and was terrified of "going out" on binges).

my attempt at this whole life is to eat as close to whole30 as possible but when I'm out to eat, etc, I don't ask every question, etc. I am still finding out if this works for me or if it doesn't. what a crazy journey!

I really liked the post a couple days ago about how we talk to ourselves and using the words "slip" or "cheat" and just realize that we made a choice without negative or positive labels attached. I'm not sure I'm there yet but I'm trying!!

so look at how far you've come! YAY!

btw it was my daughter's second birthday yesterday. I had ice cream with some home made berry sauce and whipped cream. then I added the jarred caramel and fudge. and I feel so incredibly sick this morning...so your post helped me so much. I need to remember that I'm not alone on this journey and that we all just pick up, learn, and move on.

Hi jtandi,  Thanks for your post.  I feel excited to hear how you feel about the words "slip" or "cheat" because I relate those words to negatively associated behaviours.  I don't want to associated my nourishing of myself with negative things.  I had a friend who would say "Bless it and it will go right through" meaning if you eat it in negative feelings you will hold on to that and it will weigh you down.  I need to do more Blessing in those moments and less harbouring. :)

I'm glad my post has helped in so what, as your has me too.  I do hope though that you are feeling better.  :)

Archived