Starting August 5

JordanC

Hi All,

I too am re-starting today. I have made numerous attempts to do W30 for a few months. I make it to around day 10 and then that after work glass of wine usually derails me!!

I have been pseudo paleo for quite a while and I loved the way I felt and slept when I was on plan each day. I intend to check in every day with an update and to get inspiration from others. My goals are pretty simple:

1. Sleep better

2. Exercise 3/4 times per week

3. Complete 30 days

Best of luck to everyone and have a great Day 1!!

Anne

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also restarting today, Aug 5.  A glass of red wine ended my first attempt.  I am ready to start over and have a great plan for this week.  Took alot of time on Sunday prepping this week's food and I have my mind all set.

I also picked up a copy of the book and have been reading it this week.

Meal 1 is mini sausage loaf with hardboil egg inside and a few fresh blueberries

Meal 2 is a cucumber, tomotoe, avocado salad with tuna and some homemade paleo mayo

Meal 3 is grilled chicken with califlower and carrots

We can do this!

Hi everyone

Also starting today!

I find myself being a little discouraged because of the sugar in EVERYTHING. Was excited about making broccoli soup with coconut milk, but then guess what- the coconut milk has sugar in, so does the chicken stock.

I suppose I have to go on a hunt for products without sugar.

I know I can do this, I just need to push on. No one ever said it would be easy, they just said it would be worth it :)

Hope everyone's days are going well! My day 1 went wobbly when I found some almond butter I bought last week.

It's technically W30 compliant but I think nuts generally are one of my can't-stop foods and I mindlessly munched through about 3 tbsp as an after-lunch snack. Says on the side of the jar 'contains naturally occurring sugars' although the only ingredients are almonds and salt. I'm throwing it away...

Today is my Day 1 as well! I am excited and a bit scared. I am a "free styler" when it comes to eating programs...so this will be interesting as there is no free styling here!

My goals are:

-Get more sleep (as much as possible with a 7 month old!)

-Exercise everyday for 30 days (including the ab challenge I signed up)

-NO WEIGHING MYSELF!!!  I am addicted to the scale.

Hey guys I'm gonna go ahead and hop on this too. I'm a college athlete and have been trying to successfully get through a whole30 but can't seem to make it past the first week. I always seem to give in to sweets. For now I am home for summer where none of my family eats Paleo and it is difficult to stay on track, however I go back to school next week and will have my own apartment. Thought I'd give this a shot to see if it will help me stay on track and get through Week 1. 

Hi everyone

Also starting today!

I find myself being a little discouraged because of the sugar in EVERYTHING. Was excited about making broccoli soup with coconut milk, but then guess what- the coconut milk has sugar in, so does the chicken stock.

I suppose I have to go on a hunt for products without sugar.

I know I can do this, I just need to push on. No one ever said it would be easy, they just said it would be worth it :)

Coconut milk in tins usually doesn't have sugar, just avoid the ones with carrageenan. I'm outside the US, so can't recommend a brand or store, but if you search these forums that question comes up quite often :)

Hope everyone's days are going well! My day 1 went wobbly when I found some almond butter I bought last week.

It's technically W30 compliant but I think nuts generally are one of my can't-stop foods and I mindlessly munched through about 3 tbsp as an after-lunch snack. Says on the side of the jar 'contains naturally occurring sugars' although the only ingredients are almonds and salt. I'm throwing it away...

"Naturally occurring sugars" are fine - that's what's in fruit & vegetables after all :) though if the almond butter is turning out to be a no-brakes food you might be best off without it for a while!

I tried to find approved bacon at the store yesterday but they all had sugar! I'm going to the meat market today to see if they can make me some that had nothing. Since it's locally owned and sourced, the chances are really high that I'll be able to get some Whole30 bacon and sausage!

I tried to find approved bacon at the store yesterday but they all had sugar! I'm going to the meat market today to see if they can make me some that had nothing. Since it's locally owned and sourced, the chances are really high that I'll be able to get some Whole30 bacon and sausage!

Mmmm bacon and sausage :) .  Not sure if there is any stores in the UK that do Whole30 approved bacon and sausage.  Could just eat some of that with a nice fried egg or two!!

Well, the meat market didn't have bacon that was approved, BUT the lady said we could buy a pig belly and have it sliced into bacon and completely uncured. She thought they were out, but they weren't. In two days, I'll have Whole30 compliant bacon!!

Coconut milk in tins usually doesn't have sugar, just avoid the ones with carrageenan. I'm outside the US, so can't recommend a brand or store, but if you search these forums that question comes up quite often :)

I like the Thai Kitchen Organic unsweetened coconut milk. The only ingredients are Coconut and Guar Gum. Guar Gum is going to be in every can of coconut milk because it stops the coconut from seperating in the can. As far as I know, this is Whole30 compliant, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong here. 

All of my local grocery stores (Kroger and Giant Eagle) sell this for about $2.50 a can in the Asian Food section.  They tend to not stock as much of it as the regular coconut milk so I always make sure to buy a few extra cans.

I like the Thai Kitchen Organic unsweetened coconut milk. The only ingredients are Coconut and Guar Gum. Guar Gum is going to be in every can of coconut milk because it stops the coconut from seperating in the can. As far as I know, this is Whole30 compliant, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong here. 

Guar gum is fine on a Whole30.

Yes, besides Thai Kitchen, other compliant coconut milks in cans are those made by Kame and Whole Foods' 365 brand of coconut milk.

i started on the third, but since i can no longer find the thread i had found for august 3rd starters and it looks like a lot of people who started then are restarting i'll hang out here and with the august 1st starters...this is my second whole 30 and my 6 year old sons are along for the ride...i actually may make it a whole 60 or 90 or who knows, maybe even longer. i did start my own log, but i like having people who started on or around the same time to check in with.

I'm joining this thread today with a restart following a week-end of camping where, no matter how I had planned and prepared, I was derailed by old habits (junk food & alcohol).  Today is Day One for me.  I've lost count of how many attempts I've made at Whole 30.  The furthest I've ever gotten was 15 days.  I really need to stop making excuses for myself and see the entire Whole 30 through this time.

My top 3 goals (expected outcomes) for the next 30 days: 

1.  Live cleanly, free of alcohol and other unhealthy habits.

2.  Establish a balanced workout schedule.

3.  Effectively manage the stress in my work life and not rely on unhealthy habits to unwind.

Thanks for the info about coconut milk. I try and buy organic although thinking about it that could be a waste of money as the meat in inside the coconut so doesn't get any nasties on it.

I hope that everyone had a good Day 1.  Mine was OK although I felt a little hungry late afternoon so have decided to save a piece of fruit for then.  I work a fairly lengthy day (have a long commute to work) so am always starving when I get home so maybe the fruit late afternoon will help with that.

I slept very well last night although could have done with another hour!  It was much cooler overnight in the UK and this is the first time that I have slept the night through without tossing and turning as I am so hot.

I am liking people's goals so I guess I should be setting my own so I am going to "borrow" HeatherM's ;) making no 1 as a priority, no 3 will be my second priority and no 2 my third priority.  I know that each one is as important at the other but the clean living for me will kick start the other 2 goals.

Hi There :) 

I am also outside of the US. I actually live in South Africa. Around here we don't get as many "sugar free" stuff.

I went on a hunt yesterday and found coconut milk without any sugar , YAY! Woolworths Food, which is one of the more upper class stores in South Africa (and supposedly have a wide range of organic and healthy food), seems to have sugar in almost everything, even the canned coconut milk (reduced fat option too). Not what you would expect from them! So I found sugar free coconut milk at Spar, a much cheaper store. So I am grateful for that!

Thanks for the reply!

All of my local grocery stores (Kroger and Giant Eagle) sell this for about $2.50 a can in the Asian Food section.  They tend to not stock as much of it as the regular coconut milk so I always make sure to buy a few extra cans.

Unfortunately , I can't get these brands because I live in South Africa. But not to worry, I finally found some with no added sugar :) Yay! I am glad that Guar Gum is allowed because I bought fresh guacamole (and saw guar gum on the label and wondered about it) to mix with tuna instead of mayo. 

Thanks for the info about coconut milk. I try and buy organic although thinking about it that could be a waste of money as the meat in inside the coconut so doesn't get any nasties on it.

I hope that everyone had a good Day 1. Mine was OK although I felt a little hungry late afternoon so have decided to save a piece of fruit for then. I work a fairly lengthy day (have a long commute to work) so am always starving when I get home so maybe the fruit late afternoon will help with that.

I slept very well last night although could have done with another hour! It was much cooler overnight in the UK and this is the first time that I have slept the night through without tossing and turning as I am so hot.

I am liking people's goals so I guess I should be setting my own so I am going to "borrow" HeatherM's ;) making no 1 as a priority, no 3 will be my second priority and no 2 my third priority. I know that each one is as important at the other but the clean living for me will kick start the other 2 goals.

Mouse catcher, on my long days (leave home at 6am, dinner at 730) I actually plan 4 meals.

Meal 1 & 2 are slightly smaller than normal, but a bit bigger than a mini meal, then normal meal 3&4. I eat on the way to work, at "morning tea" (11am), 3ish, then dinner. I find that works - it's also better than snacking on fruit :)

Hope everyone had a successful Day 1 and are ready to tackle Day 2.  Remember to plan and then plan some more.

My day 1 went great after I saved dinner.  My husband decided to cook fish instead of chicken and had the fish sitting on top of the oven while it was preheating.  I looked down into the dish and saw chucks of butter in with the fish.  So quickly grabbed another dish and took mine out added a little water to the bottom of the pan and stuck it into the oven.  While the fish was baking I made some clarified butter and labeled a plastic bowl with Clarified Butter.  It took awhile but turned out great.  Much better then my Paleo Mayo turned out which was a complete mess.  I have put the Mayo in the very back, coldest part of the fridge and hoping it will do something.  The taste is good but it did not turn into mayo unless I stir it up.

OK on to Day 2!!  Good luck.

Hey Amberino - that is a very good idea.  I will put in a mini meal to be eaten an hour before I go home.  I am OK in the mornings and it just that late afternoon slump that is causing me problems as I am so hungry when I get home I could eat a horse (quite literarly!) and it will save me the trouble of battling with myself (a) not to stop at any local takeaway on my walk home and ( B) ditto the little shop with lots of "goodies" in it. 

Mind you, I will soon have to start using a trolley bag to carry all this food LOL!! :D  

Kathryn

Hope everyone had a successful Day 1 and are ready to tackle Day 2.  Remember to plan and then plan some more.

My day 1 went great after I saved dinner.  My husband decided to cook fish instead of chicken and had the fish sitting on top of the oven while it was preheating.  I looked down into the dish and saw chucks of butter in with the fish.  So quickly grabbed another dish and took mine out added a little water to the bottom of the pan and stuck it into the oven.  While the fish was baking I made some clarified butter and labeled a plastic bowl with Clarified Butter.  It took awhile but turned out great.  Much better then my Paleo Mayo turned out which was a complete mess.  I have put the Mayo in the very back, coldest part of the fridge and hoping it will do something.  The taste is good but it did not turn into mayo unless I stir it up.

OK on to Day 2!!  Good luck.

a lot of people have a hard time making mayo at first...there are some threads about it and trouble shooting. it sounds like maybe yours didn't emulsify quite right. i heard that having ingredients at room temperature and making sure to add the oil extremely slowly are very important factors. if you search the forums i'm sure you can find even more help with it.

Day 2 is here!  As the W30 timeline suggests I'm waking with optimism and ready to take on this challenge today.  I wish I could bottle this feeling and save it for later (more specifically, Friday & Saturday).  Planning to attend yoga tonight and heading out for a short hike this morning.  Meals are planned, prepped and ready to go.  Have a great day all!  

Archived