Starting August 5

JordanC

Sounds interesting:)

Talking about recipes, has anyone tried one that they really loved? I made the chocolate chili from Well Fed but am not a fan - decided that i'm not greatest fan of cumin -at least not in Chili.

Also made the mayonaise with avocado oil as that was the only one i could find and it's edible but probably more versatile with light olive oil.

Still going on Day 12 but struggling to eat enough at each meal without feeling overly full, so am doing 4 meals/day.

How's everyone doing?

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also would love to hear anyone's favorite recipes! My favorite meal so far is not really a recipe and not super lean, but so satisfying. We take the Romaine lettuce scoops and fill them with a little bacon, bell pepper strips, home made guacamole, and pretty much anything else that sounds good.

My sister told me about the app: Nom Nom Paleo. I have tried several recipes there I like as well. Especially the Crispy Smashed Chicken, Skillet flatbread and the Liar Bars. However, I have not eat the Liar Bars or Flat Bread since starting my 30 days, because I felt like they were cheating a bit. Since I LOVE my bread. :)

My sister also found a mayo I really like and use for chicken salad with green olives, onion, and bell pepper. Great in lettuce scoops as well. She is doing the auto immune cleanse, so cannot have the egg. But pre- cleanse she made it with several different approved oils and the extra light olive oil was our favorite. So change that and delete the sugar and it works. Thanks again Lauren! :) Here is the link:

http://dishragdiaries.com/recipes/condiments-extras/hellmanns-lovers-rejoice/

I still have not reached Tiger Blood. I had to really talk myself into my normal weight routine this morning, which I normally love, but have been forcing myself through since August 5th. I have also been dragging in my Tennis lessons. Maybe tomorrow will change that, I have an early lesson. :)

Hope everyone is doing well. I am really enjoying reading your posts!

Nicci - that sounds like a great plan!

Not sure why you've included rice in your wheat reintro's though? I'd see them as part of a non-gluten grain reintro?

Oh! I thought rice contains gluten... Uhm, silly me :) I will read up about all the different foods and into which category they fall before I start reintro! Thank you!! 

love Nom Nom paleo recipe app - very inspiring !  I love the frozen banana and berry "ice-cream" - I tend to add mango to mine - but not whole 30 compliant in terms of desert substitute :-( 

tried the frothed coconut milk  in my coffee - didn't take to it - so its another 15 days without coffee for me - half way tomorrow! 

dying to jump on the scales !!!!!

Hello fellow Whole30iers - it's Day 16

I am glad to see that people are experimenting with foods and doing so well.

But all I can say about me is weary weary weary!  OMG I am more tired now that I was when I started the programme.  My food is clean and healthy, I am doing as much exercise as my poor old worn out body can take and I am sleeping 8/9 hours per night.  Defo no tiger blood in sight for me and I am finding the programme a real struggle as I am so tired.  A lady on the Primal Britian Facebook site said that it took nearly six weeks for her to feel any benefit when she did Whole30.  SIX WEEKS!  I don't know if I can last that long!  I am doing the programme right up until I go on holiday which would have been six weeks but I need some energy before then!

My days seem to consist of getting up, dragging myself to work, dragging myself home, sitting on the sofa and then bed day after day except for Saturday and Sunday when I have to drag myself out to do some shopping and then spend hours in the kitchen on Sunday cooking. 

On the plus side - I am sleeping better which normally happens when I do not drink alcohol and I have not binge eaten (which is truly a real bonus). 

I need a boost!

Made the cauliflower rice pilaf from Well Fed tonight. I really dont care for cauliflower, but wanted to try it...wow! Glad I did! Does NOT taste like cauliflower! The ricing process was easy too, and I have plenty of leftovers for lunches!

I also have the Nom Nom app. I havent done much from it yet, but i love the search function and photos.

There a quite a few tastes we have to develop on this plan! I had never bought Any form of coconut milk before Aug 5...now Im drinking it, adding it to tea, cooking with it. I have always liked things sweet, and Im learning to appreciate other tastes. I bought a bunch of fresh spices, and am using them daily. This is all new, but Im learning to blend things I never knew could be, and having fun in the kitchen, even cooking for just ME! Im grateful I happened upon this progam, and also glad I ventured onto the boards, since doing it alone is not nearly as fun. :)

Oh!! I fed my 18yo son the "rice" pilaf tonight. Wouldnt tell him what it was. He ate it! Although he didnt love it, at least he tried it!

I , too, am working hard to stay away from the scale!

One thing I cant find in this town, coconut aminos. :(

But all I can say about me is weary weary weary!  OMG I am more tired now that I was when I started the programme.  My food is clean and healthy, I am doing as much exercise as my poor old worn out body can take and I am sleeping 8/9 hours per night.  Defo no tiger blood in sight for me and I am finding the programme a real struggle as I am so tired.  A lady on the Primal Britian Facebook site said that it took nearly six weeks for her to feel any benefit when she did Whole30.  SIX WEEKS!  I don't know if I can last that long!  I am doing the programme right up until I go on holiday which would have been six weeks but I need some energy before then!

My days seem to consist of getting up, dragging myself to work, dragging myself home, sitting on the sofa and then bed day after day except for Saturday and Sunday when I have to drag myself out to do some shopping and then spend hours in the kitchen on Sunday cooking. 

Have you had your thyroid checked? Perhaps there is more to your weariness than just diet. I take natural desiccated thyroid in relatively high dosage, but this plan has enabled things to really kick into gear. I feel great, so very stable and no ups and downs, energy from morning till night( not what I'd call Tiger Blood, but simply feeling alive and content).

This could help any thyoid issues, but there may be more going on. 

Hi Marne

I recently had a load of blood tests done although I don't know if my thyroid was checked but I don't think it is that as I was not so tired before the programme.  I think what is happening is that my tenacious fat cells are hanging on to their fat as they think I am living in a famine.  They are probaby so confused by the lack of sugar that they don't want to release any fat.  I am probably using all the energy I get from the food I eat and then nothing is left in the tank as it were.  I am just hoping that they will finally get into the groove with the rest of my body!!  They have been fed sugar for so many decades that my new lifestyle is a bit of a shock!

Anyway I shall keep on plugging away in the hope ......

Hi Marne

I recently had a load of blood tests done although I don't know if my thyroid was checked but I don't think it is that as I was not so tired before the programme.  I think what is happening is that my tenacious fat cells are hanging on to their fat as they think I am living in a famine.  They are probaby so confused by the lack of sugar that they don't want to release any fat.  I am probably using all the energy I get from the food I eat and then nothing is left in the tank as it were.  I am just hoping that they will finally get into the groove with the rest of my body!!  They have been fed sugar for so many decades that my new lifestyle is a bit of a shock!

Anyway I shall keep on plugging away in the hope ......

Hi Mousecatcher2001

I was also experiencing some fatigue issues up until about two days ago. I am still tired, but it does get a little bit better everyday. I think we should remember that we are not only changing our bodies, but we are also challenging our minds. By doing that we are using a lot of brain power to overcome cravings etc. This results in low energy levels and a "hard to get up in the morning" attitude because we know that we will face another day of struggles.

What I found really helped is a proper yummy meal. I recommend the following recipe that I developed a few days ago:

Chicken coconut curry (enough for 2):

5 Pieces of chicken (I used chicken wings and thighs (with bones) )

2 small / 1 large sweet potato (enough for two)

1 Generous bunch of fresh coriander (green leafy herb) (about a cup chopped)

1 Medium Onion

2 Green Chilli's (Seeds mostly removed. You can put in as much or as little depending on how you like it)

1 tablespoon fresh ginger

1 tablespoon fresh garlic

1 teaspoon tumeric powder

Salt and pepper to taste

1 Can coconut milk

Splash of fish sauce

Splash of lime juice

Chop all the ingredients (except chicken. sweet potatoes, coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice) together until fine like a paste  (I did mine in a kenwood machine)

Rub the chicken with the above mixture and allow to marinade for 1 and a half hours at least (could even go overnight)

Boil/steam the sweet potatoes until soft. Mash it up with some salt, pepper and a tiny bit of coconut oil. Add this to the bottom of each bowl that you will be serving the curry in.

Cook the chicken in a little bit of coconut oil until slightly brown (about 10 minutes)

Add coconut milk , fish sauce and lime juice and allow to cook for about another 10 minutes. The sauce should reduce so that it is creamy and not watery. Check before you serve whether the chicken is fully cooked or not.

Taste and season if necessary . Spoon the curry over the sweet potato mash (which will soak up some of that yummy sauce)

and enjoy !!

This meal gives me a lot of energy and is so fragrant, creamy and delicious!

Let me know what you think!  :)

Oh Nicci that sounds delish.  I shall have a go at that - I have just bought a coffee grinder to do spices for curries so can christen it!  I bought Rick Stein's India cookbook recently, which prompted the grinder purchase, and, although some of the breads etc are not Whole30/primal, most of the recipes can be used on this programme.  Every time he says cream, I say coconut cream/milk.  It is work a look: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/b033rhzh

Thanks for your words too - believe me, I need the support right now!!  I am just wondering if I am not eating enough carbs in the form of sweet potato and squash.  I am going to address than and cook some SPs up tonight.

I looked at fish sauces in the supermarket the other day and it has sugar in it so I did not buy it.

I'm pretty convinced one of the biggest things this programme's done for me is encourage me to eat carbs when I need them! I was only eating mainly green veg, berries and then having occasional sugar splurges. It helped me lose weight for a couple of months but i was feeling sluggish - now I've added in sweet potatoes and some more starchy veg when I've been active, and I am feeling GREAT.

Big smiles for day 16 - just wanted to share that I put on a skirt that I've held on to for years as my benchmark - I bought it too small and I've been able to put it on before, but I've never worn it out of the house, always worrying that it was too tight and one meal would see me feeling pretty uncomfortable. This morning I tried on that skirt, and it was loose! 

You guys are awesome - way to hang in there!

The sweet potatoes definitely helped boost my energy a bit.

P.S.:  Red Boat fish sauce is compliant; since I live in a very small town, I frequently shop for dry goods like this at Amazon.com - they have coconut aminos too.

Good point on the sweet potatos. I've been eating a lot of them, and still shedding weight, but perhap those who don't eat many carbs will feel it in the energy levels? 

I found an awesome new tea!!  Yerba Mate Chocolate Spice. I've become a real tea drinker since I can't do coffee without sugar...this one has FLAVOR! Not sweet, but a hint of cocoa on the aftertaste. Delish! Bought it at Safeway.

@Nicci, That curry recipe looks wonderful, thanks for sharing!

@Roz...  :wacko:

I have to work in Denali park today, and its a 2.5hr drive. I usually carry protein bars for this trip. Can't really take my yummy leftovers since I can't warm them up anywhere...it will be interesting. I'll eat at one of my eateries, and try and be compliant(correction: I WILL BE COMPLIANT, I'm not risking it at this point!! haha).. Might get home late tonight,hungry., If all else fails, it will be a day of nuts and fruit. 

@BeeL, love that you put on the skinny skirt! I had gained so much weight lately that I only had one pair of work pants and no jeans that were fitting comfortably(meaning, I could SIT in them!). My wardrobe is expanding as I can slowly get into other pants in the closet. Other than wine, I could do this Whole30 for another month. Maybe my 2nd whole30 will be called "Whole30 Wine edition".  :D

Smoothies.

I know they're basically on the no no list, but I've found what I think is a darn good solution to the reasons WHY they're on the no no list, so I thought I'd share.  When we think of smoothies we think of mostly fruit, probably some milk or yogurt, and what basically amounts to a huge sugar laden drink that doesn't do much to really satisfy.  But I LOVE smoothies!  So I adjusted them.  I used the plate template.  Half veggies, a little bit of fruit and fat, and a palm sized protein.  I smoothie-ized it.  (Shoosh, it's a word.)  The trick is that I put the veggies and fruit and some of the fat in the blender.  I used iced tea as the liquid and some ice to round it out.  I always ALWAYS eat something on the side with it, my protein.  I do NOT put my leftover pork in the blender, I'm not nuts or anything, sheesh.

So here was my meal 2 for today:

Veggie heavy smoothie with 2 big handfuls of baby spinach, one giant stalk of rainbow kale, 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, a half a lemon squeezed into it, a teaspoon of coconut butter, and small handful of almonds 1/8 cup (I make this all the time without the almonds too).  I threw in some ice and iced tea and blended it, I decided it was a wee bit too much lemon so I threw a date in there and reblended.  So, to recap, there was a half cup of blueberries and one date in my smoothie to go with my ton of veggies.  I think this was a pretty good solution!  And to get away from drinking my entire meal I had some leftover shredded pork (Kalua pork from nom nom paleo...which my kids just call nom nom pork now they all loved it so much) and a hard boiled egg.

Have a beautiful day 16 (or whatever day you're on after restarting) everyone!

Jennie, I don't know what the wise ones will say, but I was contemplating a similar approach, having been a green smoothie fan for a good while.  I switched away from loads of fruit & dairy smoothies several years ago, due to pre-diabetes concerns.  It would not have occurred to me to eat something solid with it, though. 

Living in Florida makes me just want something cool & refreshing & easy to make in the summer, plus having dental & digestive issues made smoothies one of my favorite things.  You might want to check out Primal Toad's smoothie recipe freebie -  http://primaltoad.com/newsletter - for some ideas.

Oh Nicci that sounds delish.  I shall have a go at that - I have just bought a coffee grinder to do spices for curries so can christen it!  I bought Rick Stein's India cookbook recently, which prompted the grinder purchase, and, although some of the breads etc are not Whole30/primal, most of the recipes can be used on this programme.  Every time he says cream, I say coconut cream/milk.  It is work a look: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/b033rhzh

Thanks for your words too - believe me, I need the support right now!!  I am just wondering if I am not eating enough carbs in the form of sweet potato and squash.  I am going to address than and cook some SPs up tonight.

I looked at fish sauces in the supermarket the other day and it has sugar in it so I did not buy it.

feel your pain - and admire you for sticking at it - Keep going!  imagine how your life will be  when it does kick in - how good you'll feel!  I too have been a little weary - I'm just about to reach day 15 (yeah !!)  the fact that you're sleeping for 8 - 9 hours is a good thing  - something your body obviously needs.    Don't let your inner self sabotage this fantastic choice you have made for yourself!  Not often we get to be truly in control of our surrounds - and this is one way we can be - by taking charge of what we choose to eat!  

Tiger blood is just around the corner!! 

The point against smoothies is that liquid meals are less satiating than solid ones - your body needs that chewing action to register that food has been supplied. Also it's easy to overeat. There's an official stance on it somewhere...

Right, that's why I make sure to have a full serving of solid food (protein) with the veggie smoothie.  And it's not an all the time thing, but in the quest to make lasting changes to last a lifetime, I'm trying new things where I can.  That's also why I started with the plate template, so as not to overeat.  I already had my servings put on the plate in front of me.

Archived