I miss foods with sauce - any recommendations?

I love to make home made coconut milk for this purpose. Then I know there are no additives in it. This is great then for making meat and veggies in a curry type of concoction. If you use different spices also then you can of course vary it nicely.

The first thing that came to mind for me is cooking method - if the food you're eating is texturally dry, you might try cooking it in ways that won't dry it out.  If you're talking about dry as a description of the flavors, you might add salt and herbs to your food to pump up the flavor.

One sure-fire way I make sure my meat is moist and has a ready-made sauce is to cook it in the slow cooker.  So delicious and easy and there's really no chance of it being dry (either in texture or flavor). 

As for veggies, roasting them with a coating of salt and coconut oil (I use refined coconut oil because I can't stand the smell or taste of the unrefined stuff, but many people here love it and put it on everything - so pick whichever one you prefer and have at it) helps.  Spread veggies flat on a tray (I use a veggie cooking tray formerly known as a cookie sheet), put them in the oven, 400 degrees for however long it takes to cook them to your desired consistency and caramelization.  Try not to eat the whole tray as soon as it comes out of the oven.

You might check the website of our moderator Tom Denham (just look at his profile and click on the link for his website) - he has hundreds (really) of recipes for meats and veggies, and while they are not AIP, you could easily modify many of them for AIP.  Technique is really key, and Tom helps with that.

Good luck and happy cooking!

In Well Fed, there is a great curry recipe that I modified slightly (used all ingredients in the recipe, plus added some compliant red curry paste for more kick). The curry with veggies is great. I've been eating it on top of chicken breast and mashed cauliflower for lunch the last couple of days--saucy AND spicy! 

You could read it in Well Fed, or check out the Curries/Stews section of her website: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/category/recipes/stews/

She's also got a section specifically for sauces: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/category/recipes/sauces/ (I'm going to make Sunshine Sauce this weekend and make faux Pad Thai with zucchini noodles--aka "zoodles"). 

I don't have my book with me right now, but I thought I read in ISWF that AIP doesn't include curries because of the seeds and pepper prohibitions. I'd be glad to find out I'm wrong! I miss sauces too, and now that I figured out that coconut was bothering me, I'm really feeling the loss. I do sometimes use apple butter made from just apples, which is nice on some things, especially pork. I also got a jar of fig butter from TJ's, but have not tried it yet. I'm thinking it might be too sugar-intensive, even though technically compliant.

EDIT: OOPS! Checked the label on the TJ's fig butter, and it has sugar. Definitely a post W30 item.

In Well Fed, there is a great curry recipe that I modified slightly (used all ingredients in the recipe, plus added some compliant red curry paste for more kick). The curry with veggies is great. I've been eating it on top of chicken breast and mashed cauliflower for lunch the last couple of days--saucy AND spicy! 

You could read it in Well Fed, or check out the Curries/Stews section of her website: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/category/recipes/stews/

She's also got a section specifically for sauces: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/category/recipes/sauces/ (I'm going to make Sunshine Sauce this weekend and make faux Pad Thai with zucchini noodles--aka "zoodles"). 

Both the curry and the sunshine sauce are out for AIP.

Really, go with the crock pot and roasted veggies.  Eat avocadoes.  Don't settle for dry!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived