Ways to get in bone broth

srice11

My main goal for this Whole30 is to improve my digestion. I've heard/read many times that bone broth promotes gut healing. I made a big batch using beef knuckles. I tried just drinking it and I can't choke it down. Does anyone have any ideas for cooking with bone broth that aren't stew? I want to get this stuff in, but I don't want to eat stew everyday. 

Thoughts?

Soup? Or freeze it in ice cube trays & then plonk a few cubes in whatever you're cooking? Also, give different species a try ;-) I find beef broth is a bit too rich to have as a drink (makes stunning stew though!), but chicken is fine, especially with some seaweed salt added in!

I used to use mine in soups. I make a nice sirlion beef and veggie soup (similar to the chunky soup one, but healthier). In the summer, I guess you could use it as a 'au jus' on meat or over veggies.

how are you preparing it?  I slow cook mine for about 24 hours with some chopped carrots, onions, celery, garlic, apple cider vinegar and water.  i'll filter everything out through a mesh strainer so i am left only with the broth itself.  The next morning after that, I'll scoop out all of the fat that has solidified and collected off the top and I'm good to go.  I'll heat a mug of it up in the microwave either in the morning in place of coffee, or in the evening after dinner before i get ready for bed.  It tastes and smells great.  I have been using marrow bones...maybe give them a shot if you can find them.

how are you preparing it?  I slow cook mine for about 24 hours with some chopped carrots, onions, celery, garlic, apple cider vinegar and water.  i'll filter everything out through a mesh strainer so i am left only with the broth itself.  The next morning after that, I'll scoop out all of the fat that has solidified and collected off the top and I'm good to go.  I'll heat a mug of it up in the microwave either in the morning in place of coffee, or in the evening after dinner before i get ready for bed.  It tastes and smells great.  I have been using marrow bones...maybe give them a shot if you can find them.

I make it like this too with the addition of salt. If I'm in a rush I skip the veggies and just do bones, garlic, cider vinegar, salt and water. The first time I had it I was yucked out... but now I drink it almost daily and I look forward to it. I find it essential to  refrigerate before consuming so I can remove the fat. I also like to mix in a Tbs. of Lewis Labs brewers yeast.

As for time of day, I always have mine after a workout. I've been doing this for nearly 6 months now I think and it has made a huge difference in my digestion. I'm a lifer with the broth for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived