U.S. Wellness Meats

Lelia48

I have to tell you that my neighbors and I got together and bought 50 pounds of US Wellness Meat, (you save on shipping by buying in bulk). My first shipment came today and I'm so excited. I got some of the sugar free bacon, ground beef, ground lamb and lamb kabobs. We eat red meat about once a week so this is sure to last us a while.

Does anyone have any experience with US Wellness meats? My one concern is that I am not used to using frozen meats. What is the best way to defrost it? It seems like it should be defrosted at least the night before you want to use it.

Going strong on Day 3 of my second Whole 30!

Lelia

US Wellness Meats has a handy FAQ that answers this question (and then some). With respect to thawing meat, they recommend:

It is best to thaw meat using the refrigerator. With this method, a one-pound package will thaw in approximately 20 to 24 hours. We do not recommend thawing meat in the microwave; however, if you must, select the lowest power setting to avoid cooking—rather than defrosting--meat. Check the meat frequently to monitor thawing. Occasionally, pinholes can occur in the tumultuous first hour or two of transit at minus 10 degrees. Consequently, we suggest you thaw products on a plate in the refrigerator to catch any packages that have developed leaks in transit.

For more information, visit http://www.grassland...?file=faqs.html

I waited a long time to order from them because somehow frozen steaks sounded gross but they taste amazing and once defrosted you'd never know they were frozen. I've been hooked and their beef bacon is pretty awesome

Thanks Melissa for the thawing tips from their site; I guess I'll have to be thinking at least 24 hours ahead!

Johnny I thought the same thing too and that's what kept me from using them. I think the bacon is defrosted so I'm anxious to ty a little bit with breakfast this morning!

Have a great day!

I buy almost all of my meat frozen because NC state law says it has to be that way. I am lucky where I live to have several local, small family farms which sell at farmers markets. One in particular has it all grassfed beef, pastured pork, lamb, duck and chicken. All vacuum sealed and frozen solid!

In a pinch, when a package has not thawed completely, I have placed it in a cold water bath to finish the thawing. Here is the exerpt:

Cold Water Thawing

This method is faster than refrigerator thawing but requires more attention. The food must be in a leak-proof package or plastic bag. If the bag leaks, bacteria from the air or surrounding environment could be introduced into the food. Also, the meat tissue may absorb water, resulting in a watery product.

The bag should be submerged in cold tap water, changing the water every 30 minutes so it continues to thaw. Small packages of meat, poultry or seafood — about a pound — may thaw in an hour or less. A 3-to 4-pound package may take 2 to 3 hours. For whole turkeys, estimate about 30 minutes per pound. If thawed completely, the food must be cooked immediately.

Foods thawed by the cold water method should be cooked before refreezing.

Foods thawed by the cold water method should be cooked before refreezing.

It was always my understanding that you should never refreeze meat that has been frozen already, even after cooking...maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for this! I've wondered about them because we're having a hard time finding an easily accessible farm in our area, and most of them only sell whole or half animals which is too much for us to store at the moment. And we'd like to find something cheaper even than the farmer's markets. I will check them out!

anyone have experience ordering organ meats or other "less usual" parts from them? (i'm thinking chicken feet & necks, for instance, in addition to organs). i really want to experiment with making organ dishes and "part" soups, but can't seem to find suitable bits in whole foods.

anyone have experience ordering organ meats or other "less usual" parts from them? (i'm thinking chicken feet & necks, for instance, in addition to organs). i really want to experiment with making organ dishes and "part" soups, but can't seem to find suitable bits in whole foods.

Now that you mention it, I'm interested in this too. I've asked at a couple different whole foods stores and they say they don't have any of that or bones.

I have ordered beef bones for stocks/broth as well as lamb neck bones, lamb heart and beef tongue. It's all been great.

Archived