stomach (gastrointestinal) issues

I'm on Day 4. Starting end of Day 2 and through Day 3, I have spent most of my time on the toilet. This kind of thing rarely happens to me but my DH has picked up a bug and now I think I may have it.  I don't think there are food sensitivities involved because I have not eaten anything I would not normally eat (actually, more restrictive than usual in that I am following the program). 

Normally when this happens, I give my tummy a rest and live on broth, sometimes with an egg stirred in. I have done some research on how other Whole 9 followers handle this and it seems in addition to that scrambled eggs are recommended as well as some starches, like sweet potatoes.  I can't eat sweet potatoes or other starches as I have diabetes and my blood sugar will go through the roof.  (I am hoping the W30 will help with that but I've barely started and, of course, it hasn't so far).  

If I just eat broth and eggs, I won't really be Whole 30 compliant because I won't be having my veggies/fat. Wondering whether not eating the veggies/fat will really help or is that just an old habit.  If I do eat veggies, should they be well cooked?  If I don't do I re-start the Whole 30 (which I don't mind as I am barely in but I liked the idea of starting on August 1 with everyone else)?

Thanks.

I say do what you need to do to take care of yourself. If you live in the US, there is a stomach bug currently hitting multiple areas. If taking care of yourself means going off the Whole30 for a bit, then so be it. 

Hope you and your husband feel better soon.

If you can't stomach fat and veggies, you should probably take a break and restart when you feel better.

I'm not diabetic, but there are many people here who are who are having sweet potatoes and butternut squash and doing well. If you follow the meal footprint (protein, veggie/fat) the sugar in the starchy foods should not spike your blood sugar as much as it would if you were just eating the starch alone. You may want to start a thread on this issue to get some input from fellow diabetics.

I've also read, like bet, that there are plenty of people with diabetes able to eat starchy vegies with no issue as part of their meal with proper portions of protein/fat...

but! i think you need to look after yourself first. the whole 30 will always be here, and there are new people starting every day. get better, try to stick to compliant foods even if not sticking to the whole 30 template and then start over when you're well.

Thank you. I'll continue to only what what is compliant and start again in a few days.  Once I've completed the Whole 30, I plan to stick with the template and, if my blood sugar has improved, try small amounts of squash/sweet potato to see if I can handle it.

Archived