Need Alternative Fats

Hi Everyone,

I'm on Day 53 of an AIP Whole 90. I have been doing pretty well, made some nice progress toward lowering my RA meds, and although I still have fatigue and low energy, these things are slowly improving. I recently figured out that I have a sensitivity to coconut, which is really cramping my style. :( I was using coconut milk in my tea and also whenever I just needed a little something to make it through to the next meal, if lunch or dinner was running late. After Day 30 I reintroduced ghee, which seems to be going OK, so at least I have something yummy to cook with and put on veggies. But I know I'm not getting enough fat in my meals. I can't have eggs on AIP, and even if I could, I already know I have a sensitivity to them too, and nuts are also out on AIP. I've never been able to stand olives or avocados, but out of desperation I did try them to see if my tastes have changed--nope, they still taste as yucky as ever. I really can't imagine just taking a couple of tablespoons of olive oil or lard or ghee straight, the way I could with coconut milk. I sort of feel like I'm just whining, since things really are going fairly well. But I'm hungry a lot more now, and I know I'm not getting enough fat. Can anyone think of another compliant fat I could try? Thanks for your help!

I haven't been doing bacon because compliant bacon seems so expensive for daily use. But it's a great idea--I'll look harder for some I can afford. I am eating salmon in oil but have only been doing that 2x a week. And I'm not a coffee drinker, so haven't been following the bulletproof threads on the forum. I didn't know people were using ghee in it! I never thought of trying to whip it in. These are great ideas, thanks  :D

I use bacon fat a lot. When you do get that great bacon and cook it, drain the grease into a jar. You can then use it to cook other dishes or even put it on veggies like spinach. I cook my bacon in the oven on a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil. That makes it a lot easier to save the bacon fat.

Archived