Cheapskate Slow Cooker

missmunchie

I live in a tiny apartment with very little storage. I would like to do more slow cooker dinners, but can't justify not the expense, but the real estate required to own a slow cooker even if it would become my go-to and indispensable kitchen accessory.

I do, however, have a cast iron dutch oven (~12 cups volume, I think). Do you think I could do a slow cooker recipe in the dutch oven in the oven at a low temp? I've slow-cooked meat in the oven before, but I've always been at home to check on it. Not sure about sticking a pan in the oven and forgetting about it for 9-10 hours.

Thoughts? Ideas?

• Moderators

I am uncomfortable leaving my house with something cooking in the oven for more than an hour or two. You might be able to slow cook something in a Dutch oven, but I would not do it. And I would keep my slow cooker on a bedroom dresser before I would give it up.

I'm with Tom. It's probably okay, but I would worry. I wouldn't so much worry about a fire, but I would worry about what is going on with the food. You could practice on the weekend maybe? I would start with something high liquid like a stew or chili as opposed to a roast. Off to see what Google says. :)

Archived