Got a ribeye in my CSA! But...

jent103

...I am terrified I'm going to screw it up!

I'm a pretty good cook in general, but my attempts with steak of any sort have not been the best (I nearly caught my oven on fire last week trying Alton Brown's sirloin recipe, though the actual steak came out well done but edible). My CSA delivery today included two ribeyes that I know should be delectable, but I'm so afraid I'm going to mess it up!

So what is your (hopefully foolproof) recipe/method for these babies? I do not have a grill, and have not had great luck with my oven broiler, but I do have a grill pan and cast iron skillets.

My suggestion- let it come to room temperature before you cook it.  It will be much more tender and juicy.  Get a cast iron skillet screaming hot, salt and pepper your steak A LOT.  You can sear it in the skillet on each side (time will depend on how thick it is and how well you like it cooked).  An inch thick at mid-rare would probably be three minutes per side.  Let it rest for five minutes before digging in to perserve the juices (this is the hardest part for me!).  Enjoy.

Thanks, y'all! Renee, there were two in the package and it's just me, so at least I can cook one at a time and not screw them both up. ;) I might freeze them and look for a cheaper cut first, though - good idea. I really appreciate the tips!

Archived