Hello all,

I think I need a primer on coconut, people.  I am confused as to what type of coconut oil I'm meant to cook with.  Right now I have a jar of organic virgin coconut oil (from Spectrum, I think), which is solid at room temp and smells/tastes strongly of coconut.  The jar says it's only meant for medium heat, but the paleo recipes I've looked at seem to suggest that coconut oil can be used at high heat.  Did I buy the wrong kind?  Does it all taste like coconut? It's not unpleasant, but I don't really want tropical notes in my omelet. 

Also, what the heck is coconut butter, and is it different from what I have?  I apologize if these questions are completely idiotic--I thought I knew about natural foods but clearly I'm out of my element!  Help!

Day 3 of Whole30.  Woot.

Coconut oil is fine at a high heat. It doesn't leave a really strong coconut flavour, just a hint - lovely in curries & stir fries & actually surprisingly nice with eggs. If that's really not your thing though, you can also get refined coconut oil, which doesn't taste or smell of anything, i believe it conveys most of the same health benefits.

Coconut butter is not the same thing as coconut oil, in the same way peanut butter is different to peanut oil. Coconut butter (also called coconut manna, or cream of coconut (but NOT coconut cream - that's different again :wacko:)) is stupidly expensive to buy, but very easy to make if you have a food processor or good blender - just buy coconut flakes & blend them for 10-20 minutes & there you go.

Coconut cream is the thick bit at the top of a can of coconut milk that's been left in the fridge overnight.

Versatile beast, the coconut ;)

I find that coconut oil really takes on the flavor of whatever you're cooking. Maybe I'm numb to eat because I eat so many coconut products, but I don't think the flavor is strong at all. 

I usually use it at medium to medium-high heat.

Archived