No gallbladder

I had my gallbladder removed about two years ago. The SAD diet is not working for me. i often have to go to the bathroom right after a meal. Does anybody want to share how the paleo way of eating has helped their digestive system without their gallbladder? I'm allergie to coconut oil. Which fats to you tolerate best? Any tips at all?

I am gallbladderless as well, and before W30 my "habits" would oscillate from one extreme to the other. By far the best thing I've found to regulate things is sweet potato, especially while you are transitioning into a paleo diet. Personally, my body has now gotten used to paleo and I don't need as much anymore but for several months I was consistently eating 1-2 per day. For a long time I kept a container of mashed sweet potato in the fridge at all times.

I had my gall bladder removed about 5 years ago and am starting my third week of my first Whole30.  I say first because I plan on continuing this 30 for 45 or 60 days.  Yes, I am feeling "that" good.  I wish I had known about this 5 years ago; I bet I would still have my gall bladder.  This winter and spring I was at an all time low as far as my G.I. tract -- I was beginning to despair that all food was making me sick and my IBS was out of control.  Now I'm about 80% better.  I still had to play with what worked for me within the Whole30 parameters; I found I can't have many raw veggies and nuts really cause problems.  I don't much care for coconut oil either but I do use canned coconut milk and coconut aminos.  I cook with olive oil (EVOO), ghee and plan to use lard when I source some that's grass-fed.  Oh, I save bacon grease & use that too but that's about once a week.

My go-to is coconut milk, but since that won't work for you, I'd try something like orange juice. Broth could also work if you want something more savory. They're good just plain too, if you bake them for a long time they get very soft.

I've never had mashed sweet potatoes. Can't wait to taste some. Do you use broth to get them creamy?

Another option for mashed sw potato that's not super creamy, but still super delicious is to add EVOO, lime juice, lime zest, salt & pepper. 

I can't handle mashed sweet potato cold, but found I chomp away on roasted sweet potato cubes at any temperature.  At the beginning of the week you can roast a big tray full and store in the fridge.  A good combination would be toss with ghee, cumin, ground coriander, cinnamon, paprika, salt and a dash of cayenne. 

mmmm (imagine a drool emoticon)...now I want sweet potato, but I'm all out :( .

• 2 weeks later...

Archived