Prep times are killing me...

KatieGirl

Hi all!

I am on my first successful run at a Whole30. I am on day 12 and going full speed ahead.

The biggest challenge for me, right now, is the amount of time it takes to prep and make a recipe. I have two Paleo recipe books I am working from. It literally has taken me no less than 60 minutes to prep and start cooking a meal. It's crazy how much time I am spending in the kitchen!! Is there some trick to mincing and chopping and preparing and cooking that I am missing!? Please help before I have a melt down! :)

I have been having a big cooking day. I spent 6 hours on sunday, non-stop cooking with my brother. But we ended up with six main meals for his family and mine to last the week. There are things you can do ahead and all at once... Like roasting squash while slow cooking a stew while prepping a meatloaf to go into the over after the squash. It just takes some planning and smart shopping.

Always make extra. If you're chopping an onion, chop 3 & put the spare in a sealed tub in the fridge for next time. If you're making a casserole, make double & freeze half. If you're cooking carrots, cook too many & put the rest in the fridge. Stews can be made several days in advance & reheated, or cook it on the day & go & enjoy a shower while it cooks. Don't see it as a chore, this is a step towards a healthier life!

Meals needn't always be very complicated. I do simple things like fry a steak and have it with spinach . Frozen veggies are good too. Salmon done in the oven with fried eggs and roasted baby tomatoes is another with no prep. I agree, double or triple every recipe and fill the freezer. Bacon and eggs with fried mushrooms and tomatoes is another with little prep. I buy ready cooked king prawns and eat with chopped avocado for quick lunches.

Make things that don't require cooking every day.  For example, for breakfast I bake a frittata or breakfast casserole in a 8x8 or 13x9 inch pan. That gives me between 4 and 12 servings, respectively, that I just need to reheat in the microwave.

Lunch can be things like tuna, chicken or salmon salad with paleo mayo and your vegetable of choice. Sardines and sauerkraut. I also love gazpacho this time of year. The Farmers Market Gazpacho here makes a good batch with lots of leftovers. http://whole9life.com/2012/07/summer-soups/

When you make dinner, have some favorite recipes that cook-up a lot of leftovers. Things in a crock pot like meatballs or chili.

This is a great meatloaf recipe that makes 2 loaves. http://paleomg.com/paleo-savory-sweet-potato-meatloaf/ I use one right away and freeze one for later. (If you don't have compliant bacon, I would skip it and cook the onions and raisins in a compliant fat or try substituting compliant pancetta instead.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived