Bring it on September

Christie Mawby

After a hiatus from Whole30, Paleo, or even anything that would remotely qualify as healthy eating habits. I am back ~ truthfully I have hemmed and hawed about this for weeks.

This summer I behaved in much the same fashion as all the "bad" kids in Charlie and the Chocolate factory.  Literally no effort at self control. Where I am now is heavier and I have the stomach of a pregnant woman - and I am not pregnant.  The bloating is unbelievable ~  maybe I wouldn't notice how craptastic I feel if I hadn't already struggled through 20+ days of a Whole30 in January. 

I am taking a different approach this go around.  I have a journal.  Complete with tabs, I have pre-whole30 blood work values and I am going in to pester my Doctor next week.  I have set up my workouts for the month.  I have a tab to babble about how I am feeling through the whole thing. 

Previously, I have blamed all my failures on a poor functioning thyroid, my husband, stress, anything to take the blame away from myself....it isn't chips that are making me fat and sluggish it has to by my hormones...what???  I know.  I know exactly how ridiculous it is.  It is like I spent 8 months wallowing in self-pity because it is easier than acknowledging I am the problem.

I am planning on kicking off my Whole30 on September 1, truthfully though my husband and I have agreed to go pretty "balls to the wall" paleo from now until then. 

We have a few containers of homemade broth (chicken, beef and turkey), frozen homemade tomato sauces, and frozen homemade soups from the spring ~ you know, when I made an attempt to eat things that contained recognizable ingredients.  I am making an effort this week to cook a few extra meals to keep in the freezer for those days next month when I will JUST NOT WANT TO cook.

I have enlisted a friend to do this with me this time and she has enlisted a friend of hers so we are a merry group of three ~ all in different cities.  I think one of the major stumbling points I have is that I feel like I am going it alone all the time.  It is hard to convince yourself that you are doing the right thing when everyone around you is treating you like a pariah for not wanting a cookie and diet coke. 

The way I see it is if this is something that has been rattling around in my brain, and I have refused to move "It Starts With Food" from my coffee table to the bookcase for 8 months, there must be a reason....at some point something must have clicked and my brain is just refusing to let it go....regardless of what I shove in my face.  I mean, if the man is willing to give up his other girlfriend, Macaroni, then it must be fate.

Enjoyed your post. Congrats on making the decision to take care of yourself!  I will be doing my second W30 starting September 1st and will look forward to talking with you and your merry group of three about it.  I highly recommend this forum for support, and it sounds like you've read ISWF (or at least, looked at it on your coffee table a lot) but if you haven't, I would read and re-read it for inspiration and motivation.  Talk to you soon!

Chris - The blog is semi-defunct.....much like my whole 30 efforts.  I should bring it back up though.  My kids are both in school this year so I will have more time through the day to commit to it.  Which is why the September start rather than immediate - I will have much more time to prep food this go around.

Cclarkthirty - I have read ISWF twice.  I am going through it a third time over the next few weeks to try and eliminate all my stumbling blocks from my previous attempts.  Although, truthfully I think that getting my head in the right space is the key thing for me, and I just wasn't in it.  I kept coming up with excuses.

"I think one of the major stumbling points I have is that I feel like I am going it alone all the time. It is hard to convince yourself that you are doing the right thing when everyone around you is treating you like a pariah for not wanting a cookie and diet coke. "

One of my epiphanies came when I realized I am a sugar addict, much like an alcoholic with alcohol. I can't touch sugar, or I'll want it more and more. Because I exercise so much, and have always exercised, I don't look like a person with "food issues." So my friends would be like,"Eat the fricken' cake already. Your not going to gain (GASP) a pound!" They wouldn't see that that slice of cake led to a box of cookies, led to a half gallon of ice cream, and so on and so on. I finally told people, "Sugar is the devil for me. I can't eat one cookie without wanting that whole box. You would not encourage an alcoholic who is sober to have one drink. So why would you want to set me up for failure by asking me to join you in eating that cookie?" When I put it in that light, most people back off, and respect my decision to be healthy both mentally and physically.

This journey is a lonely journey because most people out there don't want to give up anything in order to be healthy. I'm thankful for this forum! Good luck to you! I think you can do it.

"I think one of the major stumbling points I have is that I feel like I am going it alone all the time. It is hard to convince yourself that you are doing the right thing when everyone around you is treating you like a pariah for not wanting a cookie and diet coke. "

One of my epiphanies came when I realized I am a sugar addict, much like an alcoholic with alcohol. I can't touch sugar, or I'll want it more and more. Because I exercise so much, and have always exercised, I don't look like a person with "food issues." So my friends would be like,"Eat the fricken' cake already. Your not going to gain (GASP) a pound!" They wouldn't see that that slice of cake led to a box of cookies, led to a half gallon of ice cream, and so on and so on. I finally told people, "Sugar is the devil for me. I can't eat one cookie without wanting that whole box. You would not encourage an alcoholic who is sober to have one drink. So why would you want to set me up for failure by asking me to join you in eating that cookie?" When I put it in that light, most people back off, and respect my decision to be healthy both mentally and physically.

This journey is a lonely journey because most people out there don't want to give up anything in order to be healthy. I'm thankful for this forum! Good luck to you! I think you can do it.

I can truly relate to this.  I started the Whole 30 and went strong for 9 weeks, then with the culmination of many family celebrations in a row, I succumbed to a little treat which then led to no-brakes eating a week ago.  I want to get back on and feel better as well as look better.   I am looking for a partner that I could actually visit with from time to time and I see that you are in Fairhope.  I live near Pensacola, FL.  I think i need to have a Whole 30 buddy, lmk if you would like to meet up sometime, or if you know another lady nearby that may be interested.  I'm 46, female, married with children age 22 and 11.  Thanks :o)...Sharlene

Archived