Starting 1st Whole 30 Tomorrow

steph_reclaimed

Hi. I'm officially starting my first Whole30 tomorrow. It will actually be more than 30 days since I'm ending my program with the August 1st starters. I've had severe tendonitis, daily headaches and reoccurring tooth aches for years. I've tried to give up gluten but the cravings for it are so strong, I usually end up caving in. I know for a fact that I am intolerant to gluten so I've cut back a lot but have not eliminated it completely. I know this is not helping me at all. I'm hoping to find relief on the Whole30 program. So as a Whole30 virgin, I'm turning to this forum for tips and support. I usually have a hard time finishing what I start and I am sure that without support I will fall off the Whole30 program at some point. It's happened before. I only lasted 3 days my first try about 3 weeks ago. How did you stick with it and keep going? I have no self control around many foods that are not Whole30 approved. Do you have any tips or tricks to keep me away from those foods? Any help, support or advice is strongly welcomed. Thanks.

Greetings! I have the same commitment issues which is why I joined this forum, but today is Day 5 and I am going strong! I would suggest making a daily log, as not only will it give me interesting meal idea (: but it will also help keep you accountable to the program.

You CAN do this Steph, seriously you can -- if I can, you can. I've also been one to start something only to fall off the wagon after 2-3 days. I'm on Day 7, and never thought I could give up my nightly glass(es) of wine, or cheese, or half & half in my coffee. Here are a few pointers from a "newbie":

1. I agree nlevy12 about keeping a log -- looking at and posting on this Forum every day really helps keeps my motivation up.

2. If you can, get rid of every single thing in your house which might be tempting. Stock up on lots of Whole30 friendly options. Have fun at the grocery store exploring the options. Because I'm not spending money on wine, dairy, and junk anymore, I feel more comfortable spending extra on special items or high quality meat.

3. Be super crazy PREPARED. Menu plan if you can, so you know what you will be eating next and won't be hungry wondering "what should I make for dinner?" But even if you don't menu plan, if you only have good things in your house (and plenty of them), you will make your meal out of what you've got, right?

4. In the beginning especially, while you are still having strong cravings, be sure you always have a couple of snacks handy. I am particularly fond of dried pineapple rings (probably too fond of them! haha), macadamia nuts or almonds, half an avocado, fresh fruit w/almond butter, or a Lara Bar. Not the perfect example, bc technically a snack should be a "mini-meal" - with a protein, fat, and veggie - but if it gets you over the hump, it's better than completely caving in.

5. Drink lots of water between meals -- maybe get a new water bottle just for this purpose, so it will be a reminder? And maybe find an herbal tea you just love (my personal fav: Yogi Egyptian Licorice Tea).

6. Eat BIG meals of the good stuff so you are more satisfied and can last longer before the cravings set in.

7. I have a calendar on my kitchen wall where I "X" off the days as I go. It is a very happy feeling at the end of each day when I cross of another day done. :)

Welcome, and good luck!!

Ann

Thanks for the tips. I'm in my late 20s but just moved back in with my parents. They always have junk food around and are not supportive of this paleo thing I'm on. I also work at a market where there are samples of not so healthy foods, but we are encouraged to try them so we can tell our customers what they taste like. I should have done Whole30 during the school year when I was teaching because there weren't as many temptations. But my excuse then was that the job was highly stressful and I didnt like it so I would be more likely to jump ship and give up on the plan. I really just need to stop making excuses and just do it. My main concern is self control. But I think creating a log and following the other tips that you mentioned will help. The tendonitis pain in my right wrist is extremely painful today. I think I owe it to myself to at least give this another shot.

Good luck!! My success has come from being prepared and going one meal at a time. This weekend was so hard for me but I perservered and made it! I like to cook big meals that way I always have leftovers for lunch the next day and I LIVE off of breakfast casseroles. Having these things ready ahead of time keeps my accountable and I have no excuses to not follow the plan. Just keep telling yourself thay you CAN do this. If you feel like going off course come to this forum for support! Everyone is very helpful :D

Archived