BHT and BFA

PLThompson15

• Moderators

About.com has a decent review of BHT and BHA at http://chemistry.about.com/od/foodcookingchemistry/a/bha-bht-preservatives.htm. If you Google BHT and BHA you can find a variety of opinions.

Preservatives are not a big topic for the Whole30 because we encourage you to eat whole foods in their natural state as they come from the farm or ranch. Whole foods in their natural state have no preservatives.

Only three additives/preservatives are called out for avoidance - carageenan, MSG, and sulfites - in the minimally processed foods that you might eat during a Whole30. Why these three? "We've singled these three out because they all have potentially nasty side effects – and you can easily find processed foods without them." This is not an endorsement of BHT and BHA, but foods with these additives are not off limits at this time.

Thank you Tom. I wanted to make some chili that used Italian sausage and the ingredients listed BHA and BHT. I wanted to check before I ate any of the chili. I try incredibly hard to leave out any preservatives, but I've been wanting to make some chili (since a great on the go meal) and that was the sausage I had in the freezer. Good to know I can enjoy the chili in small portions (and freeze for later).

Archived