Day 11: groggy, brain fog, cranky, achy, bloated, HELP!

CFDubbs

Whole30 sleuths, I need your help.

I'm on day 11, and up until today, things have gone along swimmingly.  I've been feeling happy and healthy and full of energy.  Until today.  This afternoon I've been feeling wiped out, unable to concentrate, distracted, bloated, and tired.  Also have been burping (embarrassingly).  Here's what I've eaten:

Breakfast: 2 egg + 2 egg white omelette (I usually do whole eggs but had extra egg white so I used it) cooked in ghee, filled with kale/scallion/bell pepper, also sauteed with ghee.  Added a dollop of paleo pesto and 1/2 an avocado on top.  Coffee, black.

Lunch: Mixed greens, carrots, cabbage, scallions, cucumber, tomato with rotisserie chicken, 1/2 an avocado, and a hard boiled egg.  Olive oil and lemon juice.

Snack: closed fist of cashews (I usually don't snack on nuts but I was feeling so odd and groggy, I thought a snack would help.  It didn't.)

What is going on?  The only thing I can think of is maybe the rotisserie chicken had some non-compliant ingredient (work lunch; usually I bring my own food).  

Also, is this too much food/protein?  I think I may have eaten as much as 8oz of chicken on my salad.  Eeep.  

Thanks for any insight!  Now, to try to make it through the afternoon...

You say you usually eat 4 whole eggs...if you also usually have the same amount of additional fat you probably had a lower fat M1 than you are accustomed too and that could totally be part of the problem. 

I would be totally suspicious of the chicken if you didn't get to look at the ingredients. Did you pull the skin off? 

Snacking on cashews could definitely make you more (not less) bloated.

As far as too much food...did you feel stuffed after your meals? Were you hungry when you had that snack or were you just trying to treat the grogginess?

How did you sleep last night? Was there any difference in your caffeine intake today? Have you been eating starchy vegetables at all? What is your activity level? 

I usually have 2-3 eggs at breakfast, but you could be right about that.  I thought the tablespoon of pesto might compensate.  

There was no skin on the chicken, but it looked like it had something on it--spices?  GAH please don't tell me I need to start over!

Today I had a cup of black tea and a large coffee.  I usually have one to two coffees a day, so I didn't think my intake was unusual.  

Last night I had a bit of roasted sweet potato; had some roast spaghetti squash about 3 days ago.  That's about it.

I have been sleeping very fitfully!  It took me a while to fall asleep, and I woke up several times.  Slept about 7h45m.  Haven't been able to get 8 the past few days.  

Activity: my Fitbit tells me I walk between 5-6 miles a day, but I haven't done any formal exercise since starting whole30.  Until starting this, I was weight training and interval training, Crossfit-style, 3-4 days a week.

I regret the cashews!  I do!  

Cabbage, avocado, scallions and cashews are high fodmap foods which often cause bloating, maybe you had more of these together than normal which had an effect. Tiredness is quite common around day 12 too. I love cashews but always regret eating them... Except for the occasional handful in a stir fry. Hope you feel better soon.

Of course it could have been the chicken but no real way of telling right now.

My suggestions based on this would be to up your protein and fat at breakfast and try to incorporate a starchy vegetable in at least one meal a day. I am 5'4" and have weight/fat to lose and easily eat 4 whole eggs almost every morning and I'm a runner so I make sure I get lots of starchy vegetables. I find I sleep much better when I do.

I'm not a moderator but I wouldn't restart for the chicken as you didn't have an intense immediate reaction. Eating out on W30 is hard which is why I personally opted not to but I know that isn't realistic for everyone. You did the best you could.

Archived