No refrigerator

tinalouise

Title about says it.  I've been fridge free for over a year.  not even a cooler.  no desire to start now really. 

I live on a sailboat with my son, and while we're currently at a marina, this isn't always the case.

When I first moved onboard I tried the cooler bit.  It's an expensive hassle.  Right now I have no utility bill, but running a refrigerator 24/7 will end that, plus, when we're underway it's a major drain on the batteries.

We've been living on  a lot of canned goods, pastas, cheeses, tortillas and sweet potatoes.

And I'm not that great a fisherman.... ;)

It makes all gorcery lists seem very daunting since I can't cook meals for leftovers, nor can I keep fresh meats for more than a day. 

Eggs I can keep for weeks -- did you know even store-bought are good for two weeks at room temperature?  Free range farm fresh can keep for months!

Anywhoo, suggestions?

Wow, I can't imagine being without my fridge, but I see your point if you're on a boat. You can get just about anything in a can: fish, beef, lamb, chicken, as well as veggies of all kinds, fruit, and coconut milk. Probably not as nutrient-rich as fresh, but not terrible, either. There's also irradiated shelf-stable meats, but I don't know if they would be Whole30 compliant, or if you would even want to eat them in the first place.  :wacko:

While youre at the marina, would you shop every day or two? When you're not in the marina, how often do you have access to shops?

I could survive on jerky, tinned fish, fresh fish and eggs for protein but you couldn't pay me to eat tinned vegies....except tomato! Fresh vegies would keep for a few days, some (potato, onions etc), you could get as much as you think would keep, along with jars or tins to last you until you got to another shop?

Archived