Overheating at dinner time

Hey guys,

I'm fine with eating three big meals, but maybe I'm not spreading the bulk of my food out well enough. I have a pretty filling breakfast and lunch but I'm STARVING by dinner and I've been eating a ton of food in the evenings. It's all Whole30 compliant, lots of fat, meat, and veggies and not too much fruit or starch...but I think I'm overdoing it because, frankly, I feel weighed down. Also, I haven't weighed myself as per the guidelines but I'm definitely bloated and wouldn't be surprised if I'm gaining weight. My workouts haven't changed since I started. Here's what I had yesterday:

Breakfast: 4 eggs fried in coconut oil with chopped onion and mushrooms

Lunch: Salad with baked chicken quarter and half an avocado

Snack: GT's kombucha

Dinner: Roast sausage and sweet potato hash with pesto....a whole hell of a lot

Thoughts?

If its pertinent at all, I'm female, 5'8" and somewhere around 140 lbs, and on day 10.

• Moderators

Your meals sound okay to me, although I guess "a whole hell of a lot" of dinner might be an issue. But you are on track with your food. It may take a while for your body to adjust, especially if you were not eating a very nourishing menu before. 

I definitely wasn't sure what to expect from this becase your title says overHeating! I was picturing you sweating buckets over your dinner plate :P

But more relevantly, maybe you could experiment with eating more for lunch? Then you might not feel so starving by the time dinner rolls around. Also, if you're eating a really late dinner it might be helpful to move it earlier in the day. Like if you're eating lunch at 12 and dinner at 9...I would be starving by then too!

Also: are you STARVING throughout your dinner meal? Sometimes I notice that if I'm really hungry at the start of a meal, it's helpful to pause in the middle and kind of take stock...if I just plow through the whole plate still riding on that sensation of "OMGOMG MUST HAVE FOOD NOW ABOUT TO PASS OUT IN THE KITCHEN" then I tend to feel icky and overstuffed afterward, but if I stop in the middle and let myself relax a little, sometimes I realize that I'm not actually hungry for all of it after all.

More veggies! Your breakfast and dinner look pretty light on the veggie side. 
I honestly don't know if they'll help the issue, but by the meal template, you're lookin' veggie-light.

Also, if you can, maybe switch your lunch and dinner. That dinner looks pretty heavy, and one's digestion is usually better earlier in the day. The sausage plus the fat in the pesto, plus the sweet potato, all looks very heavy. That, combined with the fact that you're starving by dinner... maybe your body wants different food at different times.

One more also - what time are you eating dinner? I know there's often little wiggle room with dinner, between work, work outs, and sleep, but perhaps you could eat a little earlier, or maybe have two mini dinners (not quite on plan, but perhaps to get your body through this rough patch). 

And digestive enzymes are your friend, especially if you're having bloaty issues. 

One thing I have been doing, don't know if it is ok. But if I am super hungry for dinner (which has only been a couple of time) I eat a HB egg and then drink some water, WHILE I prep dinner. It helps me not eat too much at dinner and avoid getting a headache.

Archived