Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

Bet-- congrats on completing your second whole 30!  I'm glad you got the results you were looking for. 

Terry D-- I know exactly how you feel with the counting down the days thoughts.  I've marked in my calendar when day 31 is, but I keep re-checking, wishing it was sooner.  I know that probably isn't healthy but I'm hanging on by my fingernails fighting cravings.

Mnmagpie and Texasbred-- Great to hear about your successes.  It's amazing what people have been able to achieve with this program.

I was thinking more about my statement that I haven't benefitted and I realize I have had a major benefit-- I've stopped reading while I eat.   There are a couple of pages in ISWF that talk about changing how you eat, paying more attention, not being distracted, not gulping food, etc.  Nobody seems to talk much about them but they have been great for me.  I used to read the newspaper during breakfast.  At lunch I would read food magazine recipes (I work in an office where we get tons of magazines for the waiting room and we keep some of them in the lunch room).  So for both breakfast and lunch I hardly tasted my food.  The cooking magazines at lunch were a particular problem, as they would make me dissatisfied with whatever I was eating.  Now I try to slow down, savor, focus on my food, and enjoy.  I know this will help going forward. 

I decided to post something on the troubleshooting thread today since I'm really struggling.  I don't know if I'm allowed to repost it here for you guys to take a look at.  I hope this isn't against the forum etiquette but here it is  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/14038-day-17-exhausted-and-overwhelmed-by-cravings/#entry148423

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hello all you lovely ladies!

I am 50 years old and glad to have found this thread. I have been eating paleo for about 4 months now and have completed one Whole 30.

This week I am doing a whole30 week, to help myself keep up the good work!

My family consists of one hubby and teenage son at home who are not paleo but love my cooking all the same and a 20 year old daughter who is away at uni. It's been hard getting used to her being away from home, am quite pleased the house can still be full of teenage energy right now, even though there are times when the thought of peace and quite is appealing, I know I will be dealing with the empty nest when the time comes and it's hard!!

I am a physiotherapist with a busy job and keep pretty active, but have lately been very aware of my age (lol). I used to run a lot, but am now walking more, I mountainbike and have started strength training again, mostly bodyweight exercises, which feel good to do.

I lost a few pounds on the Whole 30, am not overweight but thought I might lose more than I did. I see a lot of women our age group at work and would encourage them all to do some work on strengthening muscles, but it does not have to be the gym, unless you want to....

I too realise my body is not ever going to be skinny, am not going to post pictures and am determined to finally stop fretting about this as long as I feel good and yes, eating paleo feels good!

the change in habits is what gets me - wish I had know some of this 20 years ago- this is where doing a Whole30 was very helpful but I find myself backsliding now, even if the extra food is not unhealthy, it's more about eating when I don't need to....another week of Whole30 feels good to right now, maybe I should just keep going??

what do you all do to keep yourself on track after Whole30?

I'm happy some of our posts are back but some great stuff from the last couple days is now missing. And i still cant log in from my laptop so i'm stuck typing on my ipad which is hard for me ! My very detailed troubleshooting post from day 17 is finally visible on the troubleshooting thread but as of today (day 21) now the issue is more physiological hunger ("steamed fish and veggies type") than cravings. So now people will be responding in part to a problem I'm not even having anymore! aargh! But I'm scared to increase the size of my meals because alough I'm not trying to lose weight I don't want to gain. I'm eating quite a bit already. (Please see my troubleshooting post-- don't want to keep linking it over and over in case that's not ok).

I'm happy some of our posts are back but some great stuff from the last couple days is now missing. And i still cant log in from my laptop so i'm stuck typing on my ipad which is hard for me ! My very detailed troubleshooting post from day 17 is finally visible on the troubleshooting thread but as of today (day 21) now the issue is more physiological hunger ("steamed fish and veggies type") than cravings. So now people will be responding in part to a problem I'm not even having anymore! aargh! But I'm scared to increase the size of my meals because alough I'm not trying to lose weight I don't want to gain. I'm eating quite a bit already. (Please see my troubleshooting post-- don't want to keep linking it over and over in case that's not ok) 

If you are truly hungry you need to eat.  You won't gain weight if you are eating the right stuff, and keeping to the template.  You may put a bit of temporary water weight on, but not the same thing.  Don't sabotage yourself with the old thinking that you need to be hungry in order to lose weight.  Also, remember that this is a path to health and a healthy relationship with food.  Don't be afraid of eating properly when you are really hungry - that signifies a bad relationship with food just as much as overeating and eating junk.

You're doing great!  Keep going!

Hi Everyone!  Hope you are having continued W30 success!

I'm back to being compliant after a bump in the road.  Feels so good.  What  a relief.  

Just goes to show you that it is an ongoing challenge, but that doesn't make it impossible.

we have to learn to be kind to ourselves and get back on the wagon quickly. There was a time when that bump would have totally derailed me and I would have thrown in the towel.  W30 gives us the structure to get back on track until we slay these dragons.

Veggi Girl - Hey, we're all in it together!!!!!

Beautiful fall day here in Upstate NY.  Looking forward to getting outside.

Quiet thread.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I'm plugging along.  Remaining very compliant.  I do feel a  bit bloated today, which is very new to me since W30.  I made braised beef last night loaded with vegis, so I wonder if the huge amount of high water content vegis along with maybe a bit too much salt in the broth could be the cause.  I'll drink plenty of water today to flush myself out.

My son is coming home from college today and bringing a friend, so while I will cook primal for them, I hope my W30 won't be a struggle.  I'll probably make them some apple crisp or something like that.  The Italian in me still equates food with love!  I'll make a big kettle of sauce and I'll add chicken and sausage.  I guess the key is having plenty of satisfying compliant foods available.  W30 is generally not a struggle for me anymore, so I'm hoping this weekend that will still be true.

Hope everyone is hanging in there.

Hi everyone.  I think the forum problems have died down so I'm jumping back in.  When it was down it made me realize how I've become very dependent on it!

Applegirl, glad to hear things are back on track.  I completely agree that an "all or nothing" attitude is really destructive, and that self-compassion, not self-blame, is the best thing after a slip up.  I actually do not understand the whole "starting over" a Whole 30 if you eat something non compliant.  It would make more sense to me just to dust yourself off and continue on.

Enjoy your son and his friend!  I'm amazed that people are able to cook compliant meals for more than 2 people.  I'm just doing it for myself (my husband is against it) and I feel like I'm constantly chopping, cooking, roasting, etc, just to make enough food for me!

I'm on Day 25.  Started to feel much better after I got my period (which was 9 days late!).  Cravings decreased significantly.  Still tired but getting a tiny bit more energy.

So glad the weather is cooler. I can now make stews and other crock pot meals for lunch and dinner. I made beef stew last week. It did come out a bit watery (my beef broth didn't gel :angry: ) but it tasted great. By the end of the winter, I should have it down pat.

Since I'm 'off roading' right now, I did use wine in the stew. It did add a lot of flavor. Of course I then had to drink the rest of the bottle :lol: .

Hi Everyone!  Hope all is well.  Looks like a beautiful sunny fall day here.

Vegi Girl - Glad you're back.  I feel the same way about the forum.  I find it interesting and inspirational.  Really helps me stay focused. The reasoning for the start over is to give your body a full 30 days free from whatever food issues you may be having with particular items before you reintroduce them.  

Bet - I love stews and braises, too.  When my liquids are a bit thin at the end, I will often remove the meat and veg, or pour off the liquid and let it reduce for 15 minutes or so by boiling it down.  It will really intensify in flavor and texture.  Then just add everything else back in.  

OMG, now I'm hungry!

Have a great day everyone!

Hi Everyone!  I'm hanging in there with this second W30.  I must say that the first time around the novelty of it was keeping me charged up.  Now it's more of a lifestyle thing, and in some ways easier, but in other ways I'm wavering.  I guess that means I still need the W30 structure and template.  Does this make sense to anyone?  

I have a few more weeks to go on my 2nd W30.  I'm committed to finishing it.

I was reading a post earlier on another section of the forum about body image.  I do enjoy the older gals group.  While I am working toward being much healthier, leaner and fitter, I no longer expect to look great in a bikini, run a marathon or have perfectly tight skin.  I gave up women's magazines years ago, as they made me feel bad about myself, and I probably need to stay off of Pinterest for the same reason!

Why is it that with all of the successes in our lives we can let a number on a scale and a dress size strip us of our self worth?  What a mess.  So glad I'm here for the health.

Apple girl, I couldn't agree more.  I know that having fewer wrinkles or a smaller belly wouldn't change my life one bit-- so why is it so hard to stop obsessing about the physical features that I have that I don't like? 

This is one of my favorite blog entries about body image and self acceptance  http://www.whole9life.com/2012/06/be-good-to-yourself-inside-and-out/    I love the tag line  "Let go of ideal.  Be real."  

Apple girl, I couldn't agree more.  I know that having fewer wrinkles or a smaller belly wouldn't change my life one bit-- so why is it so hard to stop obsessing about the physical features that I have that I don't like? 

This is one of my favorite blog entries about body image and self acceptance  http://www.whole9life.com/2012/06/be-good-to-yourself-inside-and-out/    I love the tag line  "Let go of ideal.  Be real."  

Veggie Girl, Thanks.  That was a great blog. I hadn't read it.  I feel that the folks here at Whole9 have the most positive and helpful approach to things.  Hardcore when they have to be and realistic and kind when they need to be.  Very holistic (Wholistic) approach to health and well being.

My Whole 30 is going well.  Had a good day today.  Dropped my kid off at college, and looking forward to having a 100% compliant kitchen again.   I must admit, that although my home is always fairly primal-paleo, I did do a bit of non W30 cooking for my guys this weekend.  Nice to know we can stay compliant during real life situations.  For me, it was making sure I had plenty of yummy compliant food choices around.

Take care, everyone.

Hi folks.  I can't believe how long it's been since I checked in last.  I guess that means I'm "riding my own bike" pretty well these days.  I'm still almost entirely W30 compliant, due to having so many things that I react to.  But at least now I'm clear on exactly what does and doesn't work for me.

Glad others are finding success!  Congrats Veggie Girl!

Both my daughters tried the W30.  One has had more success than the other.  The other is going to wait until it's health, rather than weight, that is motivating her.  I think that's a wise decision on her part.  She kept feeling that everything she couldn't eat was a deprivation.  Not a good mental/emotional place to work from.

Anyway, all the best to you all!

Vegi Girl - CONGRATS!  Well done.  Let us know your results when you get a chance.  What improvements, changes, etc.  Love to hear from you.

Terresa - Glad  you checked back in.  Some of us are still hanging in there and checking in.  Glad your daughters are open to it, whether now or later.  It's an individual journey.

Thanks Applegirl and Terresa!  This is going to be a really long post—sorry.   I started the Whole 30 hoping it would help with my chronic fatigue and sore throat that doctors haven't been able to fix.  I guess I was also hoping for a flatter belly.  None of those things happened—still tired, throat still sore, belly large.  I didn't do it to lose weight—I seriously need to increase muscle tone but I don't need to lose weight.  And I know that no matter what I eat, muscle tone won't happen until I push myself to start doing some light weights.

So here are the benefits: I'm no longer reading the newspaper or magazines while eating, so I enjoy my food way more.  I'm not afraid of being hungry anymore.  I know what to eat if I want to be set for about 4-5 hours.  Before Whole 30, I felt like no matter what I ate I was hungry again in 2 or 3 hours.   I've also learned I can eat avocados, veggies roasted in oil, starchy veggies, nuts, and coconut milk curry dishes and not gain weight.  I don't have to be hungry to maintain my weight!  I can stop trying to fill up on “zero points†veggies and eat real food.  I've found some recipes from Nom Nom Paleo and Melissa Joulwan that might be the best dishes I've ever cooked.  And finding the forum was a huge benefit.  It's great to have a place to talk about things like body image, getting older, scale addiction (which I have even though I'm not trying to lose weight, just terrified of gaining) and feeling like others really understand. 

Not sure what I want to do going forward because I hate the taste, texture, and idea of meat.  I have most of my life, even as a child (I'm not opposed to it, I think it's very healthy, I just have a personal aversion to it).   So I did the entire whole 30 with about 80% of meals using fish and eggs for protein, and about 20% choking down meat.  At this point I am even starting to dislike fish.   I originally thought about doing the vegetarian version but ISWF is pretty emphatic that they recommend the regular one for the best outcome.

I did my first re-intro day yesterday—I did soy—included some tofu and soy sauce at each meal—and it seemed to go fine.  I'm actually not really sure for in terms of re-intro what I'm looking for since I didn't see any physical benefits from eliminating foods.  After I re-intro everything, I was thinking about trying to keep my proportions of food the same (1-2 palms protein, 1-2 servings fat, lots of veggies), going to the vegetarian ISWF plan as a basic template but adding in non compliant foods I really miss.   I am definitely going to include seed oils so I can eat in restaurants more easily. 

I hope even if I'm not following the whole 30 plan it's still okay to be on the forum!  I would welcome any advice about what I should do going forward.

Hey Vegi Girl.  Sounds like you had a fair number of successes from your W30.  Tough about the meat issue.  Perhaps now that you're "riding your own bike" you will find a path for yourself outside of the W30 guidelines.  Vegi option, with occasional meats/fish may be your best bet.  Trial and error will be your friend.  

I will also eat in restaurants, when I'm done with my W30, knowing that on occasion some of those nasty oils will make their way in, but we don't eat out that often, and as long as it is the exception and not the rule, it will be fine.

I plan to hang around the forum when I am done with my Whole 30, as I feel I will be a Whole 9er.  I love the support and tips, etc.  I also know that I will more than likely be doing a W30 one or more times a year as a tweak and restart, just to keep me from drifting too far off road. 

I have a lovely soup on the stove right now.  Went to a local farm stand where they have the most wonderful vegis for almost nothing. What a luxury of abundance.  I'm so grateful!

Hi all! I have been lurking and read all of your posts from the beginning! I have chosen you all to ask my question that is burning inside. First I have been totally true to my Whole 30 for 9 days and have not found it hard at all other than missing my morning coffee with stevia in it. I have tried all the herbal teas that are compliant, have tried just coffee with coconut milk and nothing is satisfying me. I made my coffee with unsweetened almond milk that I put In my frother. I then added a couple of pumps of Splenda sweetened camel syrup and some stevia. The stevia is a pure stevia, no additives. This was very sweet coffee, and I loved it and miss utmost of all! I feel better without the bread and carbs I was eating before and could probably live without them, but not sure I can live without stevia. I can give up the caramel flavor, but can there ever be coffee with stevia again? I am doing this to lose weight, so I will need to do more than 30 days. Will stevia reallybe the downfall of this plan? I love the way food tastes better even after a week, I had a sliced banana with breakfast and it tasted so sweet! Could I use a date in my coffee or would it cause uncontrollable cravings? Please let me know your thoughts! I do not want to sabatoge my 30 days, but sure miss my morning coffee! help!

It can, yes.  Unfortunately, anything that adds sweetness can keep feeding the sugar-monster.  A date can be acceptable once in awhile.  But fruit is on the once or twice per week list, if you want to lose weight.  Honestly, I'd switch to something entirely different, like plain herbal tea, until you give your body a chance to stop expecting something sweet in the morning.  Also, not having caffeine can really help your body to balance out during your W30, so you would be doing two beneficial things by changing to another beverage entirely for now.

All the best with whatever you decide to do!

While all sweeteners are a definite W30 "no" you may be able to reintroduce them afterwards if they don't "feed your sugar dragon" as Terresa said.  If you're really struggling that hard with it, it may be a signal that it is something that you need to get a grip on before you start to play with it.  

I think adding a date to your coffee is SWYPO, and very similar to adding sugar or stevia, but you may need a moderator to chime in on that.  Just my opinion.  So glad I drink my coffee black and unsweetened, it was just one less thing I had to deal with.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Teresa, did you mean to write that fruit is once or twice a week or did you mean once or twice a day? My understanding is that one or two fist size fruits per day are allowed. But i agree that using dates to sweeten coffee sounds more like swypo.

Gwenintx, welcome. I think it's great you're reaching out for help. I know the forum has been great for me. My suggestion is that you discuss your issue on the troubleshooting section also. You'll probably get some good help there from lots of people, not just our "older ladies."

Hi, y'all!  I've been lurking for a while and decided to just jump in.  I'm a 54 y/o grandma of five (three granddaughters and two grandsons).  We started a paleo challenge at my CrossFit box on October 15, but two days later I decided to go one step further and do Whole30.  Today is day 4 and, so far, I haven't had any issues with cravings, etc.  I look forward to completing and possibly surpassing the 30 days.  I also look forward to learning as much as I can from this group, as well as the rest of the forum.  :)

Archived