Michele's Whole 30 9/3/13 - Take 2

Michele West

Day 1! 9/3/13

Here I go again!

I started my 1st Whole 30 in January of this year & made it to Day 21. This time around my husband is joining me. We're taking a family vacation to Hawaii on October 2nd to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary. We want to feel & hopefully look our best! We have a 4 year old who will be doing a modified version along with us. My husband is very active & is big into Cross Fit. I'm moderately active & hope to increase my activity after getting it together this first week. It took me about 7 days to start feeling good the last time. I took it easy that first week by walking the dog & running around with my little girl. After that I was able to jump back in to Spin & Boot Camp classes. I felt fantastic last time & I'm looking forward to that again. My energy, sleep & mood(s) were amazing!

M1: Hot Unsweetened Green Tea, Sweet Potato, Mushroom, Bell Pepper + Onion Hash sauteed in Ghee with 2 Fried Eggs + a handful of Organic Strawberries.

M2: Larabar, Hard Boiled Egg + Cashews (I will be out until 1 p.m. & won't have a chance to sit down to lunch. I will grab some additional protein when I return home.)

M3: Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Mango Salsa on Broccoli Slaw.

Update: I was hungry around 9:30 a.m., so tomorrow I will add in some avocado to my breakfast. I ate 2 slices of TJ's roast beef and 1/2 an avocado around 1:30 p.m. I knew my M2 above wouldn't satisfy me for long. Dinner was awesome! The recipe for the pork usually calls for brown sugar, so I subbed apple sauce. It worked great and the broccoli slaw tossed with homemade mayo was fantastic! All in all I feel satisfied. I stayed busy which kept my thoughts off food and WINE;) I made up a batch of homemade mayo and poached a few chicken breasts for some quick meals. Tomorrow is chicken stock day! I feel a sore throat coming on and I want to make sure I can whip up some soup if needed.

Id probably sugget adding an extra egg to your breakfast alongside your avo - a serve of eggs should be as many as you can hold (probably 3-4). That would definitely help you last til lunch :)

Make sure you have vegetables with every meal - neither of your "half" lunches had any vegies! Even mini meals or snacks should fit the template and have some protein, fat and vegies :)

Day 2! 9/4/13

Thank you for your comment! I agree that I was definitely light on the veggies. I still struggle with the idea that three eggs is too much! My husband only eats two and says that he's fine until lunch. He's so busy that he doesn't even feel hungry until after his workout. I will see how I feel today and if I'm still hungry by 9 a.m. then I will add another egg tomorrow;)

M1: Sweet Potato, Mushroom, Bell Pepper + Onion Hash sauteed in Ghee topped with two Fried Eggs, 1/4 of an Avocado + three Organic Strawberries. Oh, and can't forget the hot green tea!

M2: Chicken Salad (poached chicken breast, homemade mayonnaise, diced red onion + celery), on top of Mixed Greens (kale, spring mix) & Tomato. I might add some dried cherries as well....

M3: Ground Beef Taco Bowl

M4: Banana, Almond Butter + Shredded Coconut (This is a maybe meal. M3 is going to be eaten early due to a church activity this evening.)

Day 3! 9/5/13

I'm feeling pretty good this morning. If I remember correctly, Day 3, the last go around was when I started to feel lethargic and carb flu(y). So far, so good!

My sleep has been decent as well. I did wake up a bit earlier than I wanted to, but I'm falling asleep really quickly.

M1: Sweet Potato Hash, Two Fried Eggs, 1/2 an Avocado & Four Organic Strawberries

M2: Chicken Salad over Veggie Filled Green Salad

M3: Grilled Burgers with Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Watermelon

Day 4! 9/6/13

Sleep wasn't as good last night and I'm noticing a slight headache today, but all in all, I'm still feeling pretty good! Much, much better then last time around by this day.

We're eating dinner at a friend's tonight. I let them know that we're in the midst of a Whole 30, so they are planning around that :) Gotta love good friends!

M1: Two Fried Eggs, Sauteed Zucchini with TJ's Chicken Sausage, One Slice of Watermelon + Hot Green Tea (which I never seem to finish!)

M2: Chicken Salad on Mixed Vegetable Salad with a HB Egg + EVOO/Red Wine Vinegar Dressing.

M3: Chicken, Sweet Potato + Salad (Prepared via Friend's)

I plan on bringing some La Croix, a Lara Bar, etc. for emergencies while we're gone for the night.

Day 5! 9/7/13

Well, I made it through a night away! Thankfully our wonderful friends were fine with cooking in. I politely declined the popcorn (although it was organic and popped in coconut oil; the kids loved it!) and the ice cream!

So, I'm still waiting for the dreaded carb flu to start! I'm hoping that because we were eating somewhat clean prior to starting that, that's why I'm still feeling OK. My energy levels are great! In fact I feel sort of wired...

M1: Three Fried Eggs over Sweet Potato, Bell Pepper + Broccoli Hash with Cantaloupe

M2: Lara Bar + Cashews (This was an emergency snack; we were running errands and making a 2 hour drive home).

M3: Tuna mixed with Homemade Mayo, 1/2 an Avocado on a Large Veggie Filled Salad tossed with EVOO + Red Wine Vinegar.

M4: Tomato Basil Beef Soup + Some Sort of Veggie (I'm honestly not sure I will even eat this. I'm feeling particularly full today.)

Day 6! 9/8/13

I'm feeling a bit tired today.  My husband went off to church on his own and the little one and I are going to laze around the house. I did prep another batch of hash this morning that should hopefully last the week. I'm defrosting a HUGE London Broil right now, but I'm at a loss of what to make with it. I'm thinking some chili with 1/2 of it and steak taco's with the rest?! I've had a craving for chicken soup, so that might be on the agenda today as well. I made a Tomato Basil Beef Soup last night and it's so, so. I think it's the coconut milk mixed in with the tomatoes that bothers me....

M1: Sweet Potato, Mushroom, Bell Pepper + Onion Hash, with Two Fried Eggs + Organic Strawberries

M2: Chicken Salad (mayo, onion, celery), Mixed Vegetable Salad

M3: Something with steak! We have a Birthday party at 3 p.m. As long as the steak thaws in time, I will prep whatever we are having ahead of time.

Day 7! 9/9/13

Woo! 1 week down!

We made it through yesterday's Birthday party without any slip ups!

I need to do some menu planning today to change things up a bit. We're becoming too reliant on salad with a protein and it's getting boring. I read in another post that the member has lost their joy when it comes to eating and I'm feeling that as well:( I'm reminding myself why I'm doing this and very grateful that my husband is with me or I may have already given up. I think changing up the menu will help. I am noticing some positive changes. My sleep is good and my skin looks bright! My moods have been up and down the last couple of days, but my energy is relatively steady throughout the day. I did take a cat nap yesterday which refreshed me. Let's hope that we can stick it out!

M1: Two Fried Eggs, Sweet Potato Hash, 1/2 an Avocado + Hot Green Tea

M2: Chicken Salad on Greens with Chopped Apple + Pecans

M3: Something with the steak that I didn't cook last night!

Day 8! 9/10/13

One week down!

I had the BEST night of sleep last night. Lights out at 9:30 and woke up 5 minutes before my alarm was due to go off at 6 a.m.

The changes I've noticed to date are:

Energy levels are much more stable

Skin is clear and bright.

Bloating is considerably less.

BM's are regular (sorry TMI)

Moods aren't so all over the place. I have been a bit irritable which I know is a normal part of the first week +.

M1: Two Fried Eggs, Sweet Potato Hash, Organic Strawberries + Hot Green Tea

M2: Thai Salad Plate (Minus the coconut + cilantro. I subbed steak for the protein.) The sunshine sauce is amazing!

M3: Shrimp Fajita Bowls

Day 9! 9/11/13

Not much to report today....didn't sleep very well last night:( Trying to dig deep for the motivation to NOT skip my workout.

M1: Two Fried Eggs, Sweet Potato Hash, Strawberries + Hot Green Tea (I'm a bit tired of avocado, so I skipped it this am.)

M2: Thai Salad Plate (Sub steak, omit coconut.)

M3: Chicken Soup over Kale (This will be eaten early due to Awana tonight.)

M4: Banana, Almond Butter + Coconut (I know this doesn't fit the template, but it will be eaten later in the evening if hungry.)

Day 10! 9/12/13

Tired today....in fact I think I'll be napping shortly.  I had to choke down my eggs this morning. I'm officially sick of eggs and avocado!  I feel Breakfast is going to be a challenge from here on out....

M1: Two Scrambled Eggs, 1/2 an Avocado + a handful of Grape Tomatoes

M2: Shrimp Fajita Bowl

M3: Crockpot Meatballs over Zoodles

I just can't seem to get it out of my head that my first meal of the day should be breakfast food ;)

There are always other options in the fridge, but they aren't appetizing first thing in the am....I'll have to get creative this weekend!

Day 11! 9/13/13

M1: Two Fried Eggs, Sweet Potato Hash, Cantaloupe + Hot Green Tea

PW Meal: Two Slices of TJ's Roast Beef

M2: Crockpot Meatballs + Green Salad

M3: Grilled Chicken, Roasted Vegetables + Fruit Salad

Day 12! 9/14/13

At this point I'm just taking things one day at a time! I've been focusing on what I can't have rather than what I can. It's time to change that way of thinking or these next two weeks are going to be rough. My husband has been a huge support! I don't think we would have made it this far if he wasn't on board this time. On the upside I'm feeling pretty good! A bit of a headache the last few days and more tired than usual. It didn't help that my darling daughter was ready to start the day at 6:15 this morning;) My skin is much more clear and bright although I'm experiencing some dryness when I'm normally very oily, but mainly around my mouth and neck?!

M1: Veggie/Chicken Sausage Filled Omelet + Hot Green Tea

M2: Chicken Vegetable Soup + Salad

M3: Chocolate Chili + Some sort of Veggie

Thanks for sharing your log Michele! I started on September 2nd, so I'm only a day ahead of you. It's nice to read that you are going through some of the same things as me. Even though this isn't my first 30, I forget. Interesting that you have some dry skin going on. I have been experiencing it around my hair line and eye brows. I have oily skin too, so it is just a bit weird! 

I also just bought a london broil because it was on special and local. Did you end up making a steak salad with it? I'm not sure what to do with it?

Thanks for sharing your log Michele! I started on September 2nd, so I'm only a day ahead of you. It's nice to read that you are going through some of the same things as me. Even though this isn't my first 30, I forget. Interesting that you have some dry skin going on. I have been experiencing it around my hair line and eye brows. I have oily skin too, so it is just a bit weird! 

I also just bought a london broil because it was on special and local. Did you end up making a steak salad with it? I'm not sure what to do with it?

It's certainly helpful knowing others are in the same boat as you;) The dry skin is perplexing. I'm off to the store today to get a more heavy duty moisturizer.....hopefully something that won't cause me to break out!

This is the marinade that I used for the steak: http://www.primalpalate.com/recipe/london-broil-with-balsamic-marinade/

I only had it marinating for about 6 hours, I would definitely recommend longer. The flavor was good, but I feel it would have been more tender had I let it go longer.

We grilled the meat and served it with roast sweet potatoes & salad. I used the leftovers to make Well Fed's Thai Salad Plate for several lunches. The sunshine sauce is awesome and paired really well with the steak. It also changed up our meals a bit. I feel like we've been stuck in a rut! Especially when it comes to breakfast. My husband can eat the same breakfast every day and be fine with it, but I on the other hand like a bit of variety;) And I'm still stuck on eggs or traditional "breakfast" food for my 1st meal of the day!

Oh that marinade looks great! I will definitely give a try tomorrow. Thanks! I burnt myself out on eggs a while back so I did the first half of my 30 without any eggs at all. I kind of wanted to test them anyways. So, I've been taking whatever veggies I have left in my fridge and plopping them in a pan with some grass fed ground beef. I'll sometimes add some shredded sweet potato too. Or sometimes I'll even just heat up some spaghetti squash for the week to add in the mix. I'm happy with it and feel super satisfied! I LOVE ground beef though.

You are so lucky to have a husband that will do a 30 with you! Mine will eat dinners with me and makes great compliant meals even, but he is not following the protocol. He drinks some beer and eats off road after I go to bed :) At least he does that! I came out the other night when he thought I was already asleep and he fumbled to put a pint of Ben and Jerry's under the coffee table. Haha. 

Oh that marinade looks great! I will definitely give a try tomorrow. Thanks! I burnt myself out on eggs a while back so I did the first half of my 30 without any eggs at all. I kind of wanted to test them anyways. So, I've been taking whatever veggies I have left in my fridge and plopping them in a pan with some grass fed ground beef. I'll sometimes add some shredded sweet potato too. Or sometimes I'll even just heat up some spaghetti squash for the week to add in the mix. I'm happy with it and feel super satisfied! I LOVE ground beef though.

You are so lucky to have a husband that will do a 30 with you! Mine will eat dinners with me and makes great compliant meals even, but he is not following the protocol. He drinks some beer and eats off road after I go to bed :) At least he does that! I came out the other night when he thought I was already asleep and he fumbled to put a pint of Ben and Jerry's under the coffee table. Haha. 

I might give your breakfast idea a shot this week! I love ground beef too and that might be something that sounds appealing at 6:30 a.m.

My husband didn't partake the 1st time I tried a Whole 30. I went off road on Day 21! I told him that unless he was all in this time, then it wasn't happening. That is hilarious with the ice cream! I had the same experience with my husband in the garage fumbling to hide his beer the last time around ;)

Archived