Day 5 - Cold/Carb Flu/Exhausted and Shaky

It's my fifth day on Whole 30 and since the first day I've spent every afternoon in a massive funk. I feel shaky and like I'm having a low sugar (I used to be type II diabetic but that went away when I started training for a half marathon - I still get low blood sugars though). I feel awful. Today I forgot to take my OTC allergy meds and what I thought was just terrible allergies I think is now a cold. I feel more exhausted and shaky than I have the last four days and I just don't know what to do...should I be eating more? Or just stick to three meals a day?

Any suggestions would be awesome!

Sure! 

Day 3:

B: Strawberries, 2 eggs, speck, spinach

L: Apple, banana, chicken and avocado (the apple was about an hour before the lunch) 

S: nuts (which after eating I realized had peanut oil on them), tsp of almond butter

D: Shredded meat, asparagus, ghee

Day 4:

B: Banana, 2-3 eggs, asparagus, speck

L: 2 burger patties with bacon and tomatoes

S: Plum and then an hour later an avocado and chicken (was still hungry after plum and realized the fruit won't keep me full just boosts my sugar levels)

D: Shredded meat, broccoli, grapefruit, celery

Day 5: so far

B: 2-3 eggs, asparagus, speck, banana

L: ground hamburger with broccoli and olives

S: munching on a plum again and writing this...

Thank you!

Ok, in short: eat more.  :) 

Do you have a copy of the Whole30 meal template? http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

I don't know what portion sizes you've been eating, but at each meal, shoot for 1-2 palm-sizes of protein, 1-2 cups of vegetables, and compliant fats in the recommended amounts.
- Lunch on day 3 had no vegetables.

- It's hard to tell what fats you're having at each meal, other than the olives, ghee and avocado here and there.
- Snacks should be a mini meal, including a protein and fat. Avoid just fruit or just nuts.

Be sure your bacon is compliant: no sugar or other nasties.

Also, are you staying sufficiently hydrated?  Aim for drinking water in the amount of 1/2 your body weight in ounces, daily.

You may also want to try adding in high carb vegetables: sweet potato, carrots, acorn squash, butternut squash, jicama, turnips,onions, rutabaga, parsnips, beets, etc.

I ate so much sweet potato the first two days that I thought it was too much. I think I need to bring the high carb veggies in like you mentioned. I haven't been to the gym since starting because I haven't had the energy. Each meal has definitely had more like 2 palm fulls of meat (I have small hands lol). I just upped my avocado to almost a half but maybe I should eat a whole? I think I need to get out of the mindset that fats are bad right quicker than I am. And I have not been drinking enough so that could be it. Must be a combination of dehydration and not enough food...You live and learn I guess. 

Thanks for your help!

Archived