Rebel without a....kitchen

Carol

Starting my first Whole30 challenge with an interesting twist -- I don't have full use of my kitchen; my microwave, stove, and oven are being replaced.

But is that gonna stop me? No! :D

Breakfast --

Microwave omlette of 3 eggs with cubed chicken breast

1 cup fresh raspberries with coconut milk

Lunch --

Salad made from grilled duck breast (sea salt, pepper, herbes de provence)

Lots of baby spinach, cucumber, sliced hard boiled egg whites.

Dressing made from 1 Haas avocado mashed in vinegar, with slices of black olive.

Snack --

1 cup fresh raspberries

Dinner --

Store-bought Chicken Primavera salad -- romaine lettuce, strips of chicken breast and rib meat, cucumbers, carrots, tossed with 1 diced tomato, 1/2 Florida avocado, juice of 1/2 lemon, dash smoked salt.

Thank you! Big challenge is sticking with it, its going to take a few changes on my part to make this work.

I do have my George Foreman grill which I looooove, so I can get by with making grilled meat and fish.

I love my George Foreman so much I have taken it on vacation with me and done some grilling on my motel porch :)

I guess that's good practice for a Whole 30 :D

Thank you! Big challenge is sticking with it, its going to take a few changes on my part to make this work.

I do have my George Foreman grill which I looooove, so I can get by with making grilled meat and fish.

I love my George Foreman so much I have taken it on vacation with me and done some grilling on my motel porch :)

I guess that's good practice for a Whole 30 :D

You can also grill veggies in in a Foreman, and if you nuke a sweet potato and slice it, you can finish it off on the grill. You can even make a small amount of scrambled eggs in with the veggies as long as you prop it up so that the liquid doesn't drip down. ;) I used to do burgers and portabella mushrooms a lot when I had a Foreman.

Ooh...I never thought of propping the grill up for eggs. Thanks for a great idea! I have been mixing up scrambled eggs in a tupperware container and then nuking them when I get to work in the company microwave. Of course, that doesn't work so well on weekends. My microwave will be the first to be replaced, I miss it!

I need to think more about veggie grilling. I haven't done much....but that's largely do to the poor eating habits I'm trying to break. Grilled portobello mushrooms sound wonderful...I'm getting inspired now :)

Day 2

I made a couple minor flubs today but all in all it went better than expected!

Breakfast --

1.5 cups fresh raspberries

Coconut milk....here's my first flub. I bought the coconut milk before starting the Whole 30, and didn't think of reading the label with a critical eye until after breakfast this morning -- the milk I had been drinking contains carageenan. Le sigh...

green tea

Lunch --

Sashimi salad!

Raw salmon strips

Cucumber slices

1 haas avocado, sliced

Wasabi

all tossed over mixed greens with wasabi and fresh lemon

It was good but WOW....wasabi and lemon together can pack quite a punch! Oh, hello sinuses!

Dinner --

Well...this is the moment I was dreading since going to Paleo. A business dinner, at a restaurant. Where not partaking in X or Y could be considered rude. And worse...while the restaurant in question is known for very good quality meats, they are also known for some of my favorite adult beverages.

I made up my mind beforehand that...caffeine be damned...I was going to order iced tea, with a big wedge of lemon. Better to be awake at midnight writing on a Whole30 forum than regretting my indulgence in an alcoholic treat.

Our guests of honor ordered plates of appetizers to share. One was a bbq chicken sampler....but mercifully, the chicken was all plain! The sinful sauces were served on the side as dippers...woot woot!

Ordering dinner...I found an entree salad that was seared Ahi tuna, 1/2 of an avocado, fresh tomato wedges, and a heap of Spring greens. How paleo!! The salad came with a dressing....like the chicken appetiser, this was more of a dipping sauce than a drown-your-food-in-it sauce. I did have some dressing and it seemed to be some sort of balsamic blend. I can't say I ignored it entirely. I didn't have much but nonetheless it likely was not a compliant dressing.

So, not exactly perfect, but overall I think I managed to navigate the seas without capsizing too badly. Onward!

If you do the eggs on a Foreman, don't use too much or it will get messy. They come out more like a crepe. That's why we bought the Aroma grill pot, because we can either make omelettes or hard boiled eggs in it. The Foreman makes great grilled pineapple, btw.

Oooh, grilled pineapple? That sounds heavenly! I have never tried that, but I may give that a whirl this weekend.

That Aroma sounds very interesting. I miss hardboiled eggs, can't wait to get my range in place again!

Day 3

Breakfast --

1.5 cups fresh raspberries

Lunch --

Sashimi Salad

1/2 pound raw salmon cut in to sashimi strips

slices of Canadian cucumber

1 haas avocado

1 smooshed up lemon

wasabi

all over organic baby spinach.

I received several compliments from my colleagues regarding how good my lunch looked :)

Snack/Appetizer --

I was anxious to try some of my loot from the indie organic food store as I was getting my dinner together

6 pecan halves

2 strips dried mango

1 package sea snax

Dinner

2 salmon burgers topped with

a squirt of Kewpie mayo on each (dang it...I don't think that is compliant...still getting the hang of it)

organic baby spinach

3 local tomatoes

1/2 florida avocado

coconut butter

Salmon burgers without the buns were....delicious!! I think I'll skip the dash of kewpie mayo next time and instead spread the burgers with some guacamole or a haas avocado. The coconut butter was, essentially, desert. The label said it can be enjoyed out of the jar...they were right. It is amazingly good...although I like coconut as it is. I need to find a practical way to bring coconut butter out on the trail with me.

Got in a hike after work! I haven't done that in....way too long. I'm loving this new energy.

Breakfast --

1 cup blackberries smothered in organic coconut milk

Lunch --

Sashimi salad again

Hiking chow --

2 organic peaches before leaving the office.

One KIND almond and coconut bar on the drive over

One KIND fruit and nut bar after summiting. -- unfortunately these do not apper to be compliant, as they include a little honey as well as the dreaded soy lecithin. I found a place that sells Larabars on the way home.

The Hike!

Pack Monadnock Mountain, Climb+Descent via the auto road plus part of the Summit Loop trail. ~2.8 miles round trip, 840 feet of elevation gain. 840 is coincidentally the number of curse words I uttered on the way up

Dinner --

2 salmon burgers....tried a different brand this time and nearly destroyed them with the george foreman grill on high heat. I hope to not destroy the next two, as they are going to be my lunch tomorrow :lol:

1/2 Florida avocado

local tomatoes

all over a big pile of organic baby spinach

raspberries for dessert

Plain seltzer (local....LOL)

Rough start to the day, forgot my breakfast and my lunch.

So, breakfast was an iced coffee with coconut milk. Can't say I was too fond of it, I am going back to green tea...as soon as I buy more green tea.

Lunch was a better, I went to the grocery store and made a salad bar salad with baby spinach, baked chicken, grape tomatoes and 4 hardboard eggs. I added a local cucumber I bought on the way in and topped the HB eggs with red caviar. Yum!

Dinner out with friends tonight. I AM going to behave. :D

Dinner tonight didn't go as well as I hoped. I stayed on track, I ordered kobe beef sliders and aked for them between two slices of tomato instead of the usual bun......which they graciously did.

Unfortunately the restaurant was busy and understaffed. My salad order got lost and I didn't have enough faith in the thin staff to reorder it. I actually left rather hungry and ate some raspberries and almonds (skin on, roasted in EVOO) once I got home.

Now I'm feeling a bit edgy and out of sorts. I didnt eat that well today and have a looooong hike planned for tomorrow....

Day 6

Well, today just sucked...although it had a bright silver lining.

Too much caffeine at dinner last night led to not enough sleep which led to me missing my hike with my friends this morning which put me in a foul mood. Perhaps one solution would have been to hike anyway, alone, but instead I reverted back to some bad habits.

I was definitely in a pretty bad funk...frustrated, depressed, and angry at myself.. I noshed on the dried fruit and nuts I had in my backpack....the food I was saving for my hike. I wandered around town for a bit and when my energy started to wane, I reached for my SportBeans (definitely not compliant!!) and my spring water instead of finding a place to eat.

I went back home and had a late lunch...smoked salmon, capers, a local cuke and a black olive. Had I done things right, that would have been my breakfast. I had downloaded ISWF from Amazon last night, and here is where the silver lining begins. I havent finished the bool yet but after reading through chapter 7 so far I am finally understanding why I have been struggling so much with food.

I rather messily cooked 3 eggs on the George Foreman, added two heirloom tomatoes an a Haas avocado. I had a cup of raspberries for dessert and thought about the process and how I was doing. I am determined to keep going.

It's not good for me to be grazing on dried fruit and nuts without the hike to go with it. It's not good for me to be reaching for processed sugars like SportsBeans as a pick-me-up. However...this is still somewhat of a positive change. Before I was more likely to beat myself up over not staying compliant....then reached for the plate of comfort food and glass or three of vino that I really wanted while vowing to take a more disciplined track tomorrow. Refocusing my efforts and getting back on track before the day is over is progress....although more progress is needed.

Now I have to address the pitfalls that threw me off in the first place...which goes back to yesterday's dinner out with my friends. This includes...

- laying off caffeinated tea in the evening

- getting a menu and planning my meal in advance when dining out

- eating a big pile of leafy greens at least once per day no matter what...aside from the health benefits, I mentally feel better about my way of eating when I do this.

Onward.

Great onwards planning. Hope today is a great one.

Thank you so much! I'm ready to make it great :)

The day started well so far. I tried for 3 eggs on the George Foreman again but that was such a mess I think ony 2 to 2.5 eggs actually made it on to my plate. Paired those with two heirloom tomatoes and a half Haas avocado and...I was still hungry. I had a couple ounces of smoked salmon left over from yesterday and ate that with a small cucumber and some capers. Now I'm ready to take on the world! :D

Nice day for a hike! I did a traverse of the peaks of Temple Mountain on the Wapack trail.

Pre-hike chow -- dried mango slices

Early hike recharge -- Ella's kitchen organic baby food "the red one". This may have been compliant but it tasted gross and performed worse.

Lunch -- foil pack tuna and Earthward's "Magical Mystery" trail mix

Late hike recharge -- 1/2 shot GU. It's not compliant, but works a lot better than the baby food.

After hike recovery -- the remaining half shot of GU.

Dinner - seasoned duck breast, a Canadian cucumber, 1/2 haas avocado, Ranier cherries, organic almonds.

Hike time: just over 5 hours, about 6.5 miles round trip. Elevation gain, cumulative, maybe 1000 feet. Quite warm -- Mid-to-upper 80s when I started, lower 80s when I finished.

Archived