Whole30 has totally changed my way of cooking! Not like you think....

KitchenWitch

Has anyone else had this happen?  I started the Whole30 August 1st.  Except for one slice of peanut butter toast prepared for me by my 90 yr. old Mom, I've been totally compliant.

But here's the thing,  everything I cook is exotic, spicy and completely new to me. Gone is the steak and mushrooms, now it's Moroccan Chicken and Cauliflower Rice.  I have never spent as much time cooking as I have the past 45 days. And I'm lovin' it!

My first W30, I just cut out the things I couldn't have and kept my old way of eating otherwise.  It was boring, and it didn't take me long to go back to my old ways.  Next one, I started branching out into new recipes, and had a much easier time staying compliant afterwards. 

And yes, I love that my meals are so exotic and interesting!  Once in a while I just want a plain piece of chicken and some steamed veggies, but not often.  I have so many recipes saved on Pinterest, I may never get through them all.  And most of this exotic fare, once you get the hang of it, doesn't really take any longer than any other meal I would make.  I was always a pretty decent cook, but I feel this way of eating has improved my skills, and my palate, and opened new horizons of flavor and preparation I would never have discovered otherwise.

I don't eat spicy foods, but I am cooking. I'm roasting root veggies and keeping them for a quick nuke. This week, we made our own rotisserie chickens and I froze some. I'm going to be making stock tomorrow. And I have 'fresh' food in every meal. Nothing from a box, nothing processed.

I even roasted nuts yesterday so I was sure they weren't roasted in soybean oil. I like taking raw whole food and making meals out of it. Plus I know everything that goes into my stomach.

My old way of eating was primarily Southern and fast food. I am avoiding a lot of the safe Southern foods for now, because it was the combination of it all that I dug into. Sure greens are safe, but I do not want to try them until I do not feel the need for the black eyed peas, the mash potatoes with gravy, the cornbread, and the pie. I am getting close to the point.

Now, I grill more and use my bamboo steamer. I use more herbs, because they make the vegetables more interesting. Also, breakfast is no longer much different than other meals.

The fact that I'm cooking now is HUGE. Pre-Whole30, my husband was the cook in the house. He cooks professionally for a living. I did cook with him at home over a decade ago, but got out of the habit. Whole30 got me into cooking again, and actually liking it - I'm shocked and pleasantly surprised.

I stayed with a friend in Boston this past weekend with two middle school age kids and got totally inpired.  It's just me and my dog so how can I make excuses to cut corners on every recipe?? As we were in the middle of getting ready for dinner, her son asked for some salsa.  She went into the garden and picked fresh tomatoes and cilantro and had some onions in the fridge that she chopped right up and made fresh salsa in 4 minutes flat!  If she can do it, I can do it! Haha. I'm guilty of steak and eggs and cold leftover brussels sprouts 5 times a week! (not that it isn't delicious :)

My girlfriend was the one who always cooked for us. The only thing I could make was whatever would come out of a box. Every since we started the Whole 30 I have been the main one cooking....I could not believe that I could actually make something without instructions from a box! Day 16 and going strong!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived