Happy Cow Fat!

Jinkse21

I am so excited!!  I have a friend who bought a half cow from a happy grass-fed farm but she told them to hold the liver and fat.  Can you imagine my dismay??  She told them she would call them and tell them to include them because she knew someone who wanted that "icky stuff"!  So, I am meeting her on Sunday to pick it up and best thing....it's FREE to me!!  :D   I would make her some tallow but then she may like it and not share with me on her next cow purchase!   :ph34r:   Maybe I'll just buy her a bottle of wine.....

Point is...if you know someone who is buying a part of a cow, see if they use the "icky" stuff and if not, see if they will give it to you for free or in trade.  Or call the farms and see how much they sell the stuff for since no one else wants it.

• 5 weeks later...

A lot of farmers don't keep the fat either since it takes up a lot of room in the freezer and doesn't sell well. The best way to get some would probably be calling local slaughterhouses directly and asking them to cut you some fat next time they have a grass-fed beef come through. 

I got a couple pounds of suet with my grass fed cow. I still have to render it out. Last time I did a wet render, but it smelled nasty. this time I will do a dry render on the stove as I feel like browning the bits of fat (like cracklins!) makes it taste better. Anyone know what the best way to store tallow is?

I got a couple pounds of suet with my grass fed cow. I still have to render it out. Last time I did a wet render, but it smelled nasty. this time I will do a dry render on the stove as I feel like browning the bits of fat (like cracklins!) makes it taste better. Anyone know what the best way to store tallow is?

I store it in my cabinet away from light.  I just had a small jar (after sharing with a friend who is not adept to cooking but wanted to try some) so I know it will be used fairly quick.  If I had a large batch, I would probably refrigerate some of it and take it out after the other half was gone.  It can get really hard in the fridge!

I think the most important part is to make sure it is in a well-sealed container to prevent oxidation.  From research I have done, tallow can be stored at room temp for up to a year.

Archived