Catered Event

amywhole30s

Hi everyone, 

I'm on my first go of the Whole30 - and day 2. I feel pretty brave for starting this yesterday when we have Halloween next week, and my birthday is also during the Whole 30.

On day zero I was feeling quite ready to go and super excited to do this... then it dawned on me. Next Wednesday (which will be day 9) I am going to an event that is a catered event for an award ceremony. 

The tickets were $80 and I have no idea what to expect for food... or what to do. I am going with my entire family (my mom was nominated for an award) and... I asked my parents what I should do. My dad suggested I wait the week to start... but I said, if I wait another week, then there will be always something. 

I am thinking that I will likely eat before I go... but when you're spending $80 on a ticket for a big catered meal.. I feel kind of silly sitting there while my entire family has some lavish meal.

What would you do?  

Before Whole 30 I was already gluten-free and mostly dairy-free, so I'm thinking about asking the caterer for a dietary restriction of dairy and gluten free and eating what I know will be safe on the plate. 

Thoughts? Advice? Pep talk?

I would take my own meal, and ask for it to be plated with everyone else's so you don't look out of place munching out of your Tupperware.

More often than not, food at catered events is neither special, nor "worth" the splurge. I'd be much happier eating my own food than trying to get a compliant meal from them.

You are there to support your mum, not because you're getting a meal. It won't matter if you eat the food or not, that you're there is what matters!

I would contact the place hosting the event and request a special meal that is Whole30 compliant. Start with grain, dairy and legume free and explain the additional criteria. If they can't accommodate you, I would eat ahead of time, and bring a compliant snack in your purse.

I would contact the place hosting the event and request a special meal that is Whole30 compliant. Start with grain, dairy and legume free and explain the additional criteria. If they can't accommodate you, I would eat ahead of time, and bring a compliant snack in your purse.

This is what I did at a catered event a couple weeks ago. Turns out there were things I could eat, sautéed (EVOO) veggies and boiled shrimp. Wasn't perfect but it did the job. Even dry salad will put food in your belly.

For me part of this process (just completed my first W30) was learning a better way to view food.....so what if it is $80 per person? You are paying to participate and watch your mom receive and award...forget about the food having a dollar value. Food is fuel. Yes, it should be enjoyable but it is not a reward or something you 'deserve' because you have been good. Know what I mean? Food is just food, it carries no other significance than that. Eat the foods that keep you feeling good and avoid the ones that make you feel crappy. Animals seem to do this naturally, why can't we? ;-)

Good luck, have a good meal before the event and go cheer on your mom!

I went to a party in the middle of my Whole30, which oddly was hosted by someone who is doing a Whole30 too but decided in advance that she was cheating on that day (despite others explaining that's not how it works...) and told us nothing compliant would be served and it involved a sit down dinner.   I just ate a big ribeye and veggies before I went and then she left the dressing off the salad, so I just had plain salad there and socialized during dinner and drank water all night and it was totally fine.    It's easier than you think if you're prepared and eat ahead of time.   You can have compliant snacks in your purse too if you wind up starving (little almond butter packets or something like that).   I find I rarely need them, but mentally it prevents me from feeling panicky with that "What if I am starving and there's nothing compliant to eat?" feeling.   

thanks everyone! That's really helpful! 

ETA:

I contacted them - and the structure of the event is actually much different than I thought!

It is a mix and mingle with food stations throughout the room and there is no “real†seating! 

So I can eat before and probably munch on some veggies :) 

Archived