michellel

I am new to Paleo, and actually just heard a few people talking about it.  I am excited to start on a new way of life and get my body back into shape and feeling better.  I am 45 with two fairly young kids, so I need a bunch of energy.  Where on this forum is recommended for me to start?  OH and I am pretty scared that I wont' be able to control my cravings for sugar, I love candy and sweets.  What do I do in those times when I just want to run to the store and buy some sweets? 

Welcome :)

This page is a great place to start:

http://www.whole9life.com/category/whole-30/

The whole 30 meal template, and timeline are also helpful:

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

http://www.whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Use the template as your guide for every single meal - if you follow it, and include a decent amount of protein and fats along with lots of vegies and you should help your cravings. Protein and fats are extremely satisfying, and if you're listening to your body you'll realise it's not hunger that's calling your name! ( snacking is discouraged, but if you're starving, a mini meal of protein, fats and vegies will be more satisfying than sugary foods.)

Some people with massive sugar dragons limit fruit for a while, although the whole 30 is definitely not anti-fruit. Including a small amount with a meal is the recommendation. You will probably be better off including starchy vegie carbs in your meals to perhaps offset your body's cries for sugar. If it's getting the nutrients it needs, you body will be happy and not need to look for nutrients....which is what happens when you get cravings. The starchy vegies will also help with energy.

The timeline will help you know what you're likely to be feeling and expecting - your journey may differ depending on where you're coming from, but most people experience a similar timeline.

Welcome!  If you haven't read It Starts With Food, I would strongly recommend that you do.   I started my Whole 30 before I read the book, which was fine, but once the book arrived and I read it, things were much clearer. It's also nice to pick up a book or jump on the forum if you can when you get hit with a sugar craving.  Helps to occupy your mind with something for a bit and will help you to stay motivated.

Ditto the recommendation to read ISWF - for me, learning the science behind things really helps me with cravings, because I know what is happening to my body when I eat different foods.

When you start to crave sugar, don't eat just fruit! You're just feeding the sugar demon by giving it something sweet. Either do something distracting, or if you're hungry, eat a mini-meal with protein and fat. That will actually satisfy your hunger much more than fruit or sugar and tell your brain it doesn't really need the sugar. It will be rough at the beginning, but I promise you that there are several really good pieces of leftover Halloween candy in our work break room right now and I'm not tempted in the least. That would not have been the case three months ago!

Hi!  I just started as well!!  I have read the book and am getting the daily emails!  I'm still feeling kind of frustrated!  My stomach has been a mess and I'm not used to eating so much meat!  My family is supportive, but they havent really liked the recipes I have made.  I dont have any friends that are paleo, so I really dont have a buddy or accountibility partner!  I could use some encouragement or advice!  Thanks!

I'm still feeling kind of frustrated!  My stomach has been a mess and I'm not used to eating so much meat!  My family is supportive, but they havent really liked the recipes I have made.  I dont have any friends that are paleo, so I really dont have a buddy or accountibility partner!  I could use some encouragement or advice!  Thanks!

Can you elaborate on what you mean by your stomach being a "mess?"

Also, can you post 2-3 days worth of your food log, so folks here can give you feedback on what you've been eating and possible tweaks?

Archived