Illness throughout Whole30

jenni268

Hi all!!!

I am currently on Day 26 of my Whole30  and I have been sick for pretty much my entire 26 days and I am wondering if this would have any effect on my body's healing process?  

I really want to heal my gut and get a normal balance in my hormones.  During my last whole30, approximately a year ago, I was able to go from pre-diabetic down to normal fasting glucose levels, decreasing the levels by 20+ points! (YAY!!)  I also felt like my Whole30 stuck very closely to the timelines that were in the book; the tiredness, crankiness, tiger blood, etc.

This time around, however, I am just not feeling it as much.  I'm still not really waking up hungry, which was a HUGE step forward for me last time concerning some of those pesky hormones.  I also still feel tired all of the time and, as of the last two days, had some strange longings for muffins (which I never really liked anyway), and other off-plan foods that I didn't have earlier in the month.

So, I guess my question is, would a round of very strong antibiotics and a lingering significant illness effect my Whole30 results?  My line of thinking is that maybe my body has been so focused on healing my illness that it wasn't able to get to my gut, hormones, etc.  

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! :)  

Jennifer

On a side note, I am definitely extending out my Whole"30" for at least another 15 days.

Being ill and still being compliant is a great feat!  Congratulations.

Antibiotics will totally disrupt your intestinal flora and GI tract.  I don't believe you've negated any accomplishment, but you might have created another project in restoring a healthy balance.  That imbalance will affect hormones and immunity and general health so your thought of extending your Whole30 is a good one.

Please add some heavy duty probiotics and get better!

Thanks!!!!  I know, for sure, that I need to find a good, reliable brand of probiotics to help things!  It is definitely frustrating to 1) continue being sick and 2) have the great benefits of a Whole30 masked by the illness.

Thanks!!!!  I know, for sure, that I need to find a good, reliable brand of probiotics to help things!  It is definitely frustrating to 1) continue being sick and 2) have the great benefits of a Whole30 masked by the illness.

I like Florajen3 which is available over the counter.  You can also buy kimchi or other fermented products.

You might need a few different strains to get you going again.

I would definitely up your probiotic foods. I like to eat raw fermented veggies with breakfast every day and have a bottle of kombucha in the afternoon. In your case I might have some fermented food with every meal.

Another great gut healer is homemade bone broth and things made with good quality gelatin.

Archived