Started 11/4

Ritaer

First day after reading _It Starts With Food_ twice through. Spent yesterday evening shopping and cooking. Butternut squash, 2 yams, chicken thighs. Wet sauted to partially cook some carrots, onions, celery and red cabbage. And put a pot of bone broth on to cook. Tried Atkins in the past. Did anyone here ever try the Atkins baking mix. Made some biscuits with it and they were absolutely awful. Then I went through a period of making deserts with Stevia--my friends started avoiding my potluck contributions. :wacko:

Avoiding 'most' grains, sugar or potatoes hasn't worked well either. Saying "no" is easier than "maybe just a little and I won't have any tomorrow to make up for it." Ironically, before I went on medications for blood sugar I had no problem occasionally actually fasting all day (religious, not diet).

So here's to Day 1

Second day. Challenge will be dinner out for my sister's birthday. She wants to go to Appleby's so I'm thinking grilled meat--not sure what vegetable sides they have.

Just make sure you specify that you want everything dry...no oils, butter, or seasonings. Maybe bring some homemade mayo with you to add or some homemade salad dressing.

Dinner at Appleby's last night. Had chicken ceasar salad w/o dressing, croutons or cheese, i.e. sliced grilled chicken breast on chopped romaine lettuce. Waiter assured me chicken was just grilled, no marinade or oil. Still hungry when I got home, so I had some nuts and avacado. Heading into Day 3 with breakfast of sausage and yam.

I started 11/4 also. I actually been looking at my food plan for a couple weeks. Then God nudged me and said look at dairy and wheat. Heard about Whole30 from my fitness coaches and support group. Read up on it Friday and was in the store on Saturday and Sunday.

Loving the food, don't particularly like to cook but that's going ok.

How are you feeling?

"Loving the food, don't particularly like to cook but that's going ok."

That's me as well, dmf5rn.  I'm finding that Whole Foods is my saving grace on that.  I hope you have one near you.  Rotisserie chickens (naked), precooked chicken with zero perservatives, no sugar bacon and bratwurst with no preservatives.  Easy peasy -- just heat up and eat with a side of steamed veggies.  

I am feeling pretty good. ALso not much of a cook; haven't made time to make mayonaise, for example. I did a big cooking last Sunday. Went by out local natural foods coop on Weds nite so I was really hungry when I got home. Grapes were on counter so I snacked on them while putting together some soup. Ate more after the soup, sort of felt like I had overdone the fruit by the time bedtime rolled around.

More challenges Thursday. I ate lunch at a local brew pub--only non-fast food option in walking distance of the courthouse (jury duty). Ordered steak with a naked salad and asked about oil on grill. A manager noticed my concern and came over to tell me the marinade used on the steaks contained canola oil. No non -marinated steaks were available so switched to grilled chicken. It had been marinated too, apple cider and beer--so technical violation on possible small amount of gluten in beer. Sigh. But it was nice that someone was concerned enough to tell me about the marinade. Probably fear of an allergic reaction.

I walked into lunch room at work today to find leftover cake from some meeting. I didn't even go close, but this is a common event in my office. Sometimes good leftovers like carrots, but cake, cookies, doughnuts, etc. appear at random times.

More cooking tonight for potluck at meeting tomorrow.

Made the hamburger muffins from "Well Fed" Friday night. squeezing the water out of the spinich got a little messy--green goo a lot of places, included the cookbook page. They are pretty good tasting, very convenient. Saturday challange was dinner with friends who chose Thai. Finally decided on the coconut milk soup with chicken. Anyhow, I have sucessfully made it through one week.

Archived