Cheap crockpot recommendation? And Recipes?

EvJaye

Hi,

I'd like to purchase an inexpensive crockpot and would welcome suggestions for which one and where I might find it. I see some at my local CVS drugstore but they seem to be made of crappy materials that I wouldn't want to cook in/on!

Also, I don't like slow roasted red meats or pulled pork nor a fan of beef stews or 'pot au feu' type of stuff either, but if you have some great crockpot recipes, please post! 

Thanks!!

Eve

Inexpensive usually means Target, Walmart, or Amazon for me. Bed, Bath & Beyond can have some good deals. Sur La Table has surprisingly good prices on higher end equipment.

My crockpot cost about $25 and I've used it for 10 years:  http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-3735-WN-2-Quart-Cooker-White/dp/B000067DY4/ref=lp_694666_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1384205363&sr=1-5

I used to have a Rival brand Crockpot...I threw it out. It was terrible. It burned things on low, ran way too hot. For my birthday, I asked for this one http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33967-6-Quart-Programmable/dp/B001AO2PXK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384234904&sr=8-1&keywords=hamilton+beach+slow+cooker as recommended by Michelle Tam of Nomnompaleo.com. I've used it once or twice a week for the past month and I love it. It's awesome for making bone broth and cooks beautifully. My only little issue is that you can only set the timer for 12 hours, so for bone broth, I have to reset it 2 or 3 times to cook it for the full 24-36 hours. But that is a little problem, and not even a real one as my mom's rival programmable crock pot can only go for 20 hours, so I still have the same issue. Regardless, I love it.

Aggree with Xandra about Walmart or Target.  I would just make sure to get one that has a timer.  That is a really nice feature.  Amazon or Ebay is not a bad place to look either once you research what you want. I get tons of new items from these sites. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I bought this one  Crock-Pot SCR300SS 3-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel

about 3 years ago and it was only $21 on Amazon.

It works well, the only drawback is it's not very large.

Great for soups and smaller meat dishes, or just cram it in as I did before I got my newest (not cheap) model, the Crock-Pot SCVT650-PS 6-1/2-Quart Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker. It runs closer to $80, but you can use the timer/program it, it's a bigger, oval one with handles and I love it. Worth the money to me.

Archived