Calling All November 18 Starters

KJ!

Jennifer you made me "smilee" this morning because you described my life.  Firstly, welcome to our crew that rides a daily roller coaster as we battle between falling off, hanging on for dear life, and riding it with both hands in the air yelling "weeeeee!"!  I am loving the food and keeping to my Whole 30 but my battle of missing diet coke and chewing gum are overwhelming.......it's made me even more committed because who lets those nasties control their life - I mean really!  So onward I go.  My whole family is sick, we have that nasty sore-throat-headache-cough-fever crap going on and so I have felt low, low energy since Day 1 and can't wait for that "magic".  In fact, I'm craving that magic.  The nay-sayers keep telling me that if I start eating properly I won't be sick.......that also makes me more determined to stick with it - I love a challenge!  

Ms. Jocelyn:  I feel your pain, your relationship with food is a love affair............and you keep looking into the future wondering how you can possibly make this work.........maybe take it one day at a time.  If you fall, you start again, even if you don't make it through the Xmas season, if you give yourself 18 compliant days, it's better than none!  Maybe after 18 days, you won't be tempted to start all over again.  So breath and take it one step at a time.  I think you answered your own questions when you saw your reaction to eating some sugar............you body is sending you a very strong and clear message, now if only it would reach your brain.  While asking you not to be so hard on yourself, you need to tell yourself that you are stronger than this craving for food............you can do this!

So onward and upward...............!  Go day 10!  And while I am at it.........

Dear Santa, 

For Christmas I want some Whole 30 "magic"!  That's all!

Luv Nicky!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christina, I totally agree with Jennifer - wait until January, work on your 30 day plan until then, and enjoy the heck out of the rest of this year. The only reason I decided to do this now is because this is actually the LEAST social time of year for me. We get snowed in sometime around Thanksgiving and get out sometime around Valentine's Day (though one year we had two feet of snow on April 21st!). All our holiday visiting is on the phone! Check out this Whole9 article about this very subject: http://www.whole9life.com/2013/11/thinking-holiday-whole30-think/ (spoiler: they recommend NOT starting now).

Nicky, so sorry your family is sick. GREAT words about not letting a food, especially a cheap trick food, dominate your life! Man am I glad you are on our team!!

I did it, I made mayo.............it worked...........okay, i'm giddy (can you tell)......i've only wasted about $90 in oil trying to get it right, but that is beside the point......one big pot of mayo ready to go............and I promise not to just eat the whole thing because I finally got it right.  It's gonna take a little getting used to, but i'm ready to love all things paleo!  Welcome new life - new mayo life!

Okay, you have to share. . .because I just wasted $10 trying to make it with avocado oil---it was awful.  And I've already wasted more than I can remember trying it with olive oil.  Please, please, please. . .give it up.

This is the method I've used to make many batches of mayo, using extra light olive oil (Phillipo Berio's or Bertolli's). Works perfectly every time. http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/08/19/mayo-how-to-video/

I use a stick blender on its lowest speed instead of a standard blender.

The secret is using the stick blender........I'm not kidding.......that is the difference!  I used avocado oil as well...........1 egg, 2 tbsp lemon juice (next time I wanna try vinegar), salt/pepper (oregano, thyme whatever you want to add), garlic, mustard (start simple) and 1 cup of oil.  Let it sit for 30 seconds.  Put your stick blender in the GLASS container (I used a mason jar) and then put it on low and hold it at the bottom for 20 full seconds, then start to slowly pull it up and down the glass (don't go too far or you will be redecorating your kitchen mayo-style) and then when it's all blended - voila!  Done!  And BTW, making mayo your own will happen in time......with flavour etc.  But for now, just see if it works and post back, I'll be checking!

Well, I am clearly doing something wrong.  I've used avocado & olive both.  They were both disgusting with gross texture and flavor to match.  

Made it through Thanksgiving.  Was a bit of a struggle because there was really nothing I could eat other than turkey & brussel sprouts.  I was trying to think about food being fuel instead of fun.  The issue that was the roughest was that I forgot my sparkling lemon lime tonic water. . .ugh. . .that was awful because my sister buys terrible bottled water and the water out of her tap is gross.  But in the grand scheme of things. . .I made it through the day and am still alive even though I didn't eat the crappy food that I wanted that would make me feel crappy in the end anyway.  When you look at it that way then it was a pretty good day.  Right?

Hope you all are well.  I'm off to find some recipes so I can go to the store tomorrow.  

Thank you all so much for your advice....I didn't want to think you are right but you are....I am so stressed with finishing the school semester planning Christmas and working I am just being myself up when I stumble and feel so very overwhelmed. I was afraid to wait till beginning of year cuz I thought I'd give up. But I like the thought of working on my plan....trying recipes and finding what I like so it is easier to stick to.would I still be able to follow this forum even if I'm not 100 percent yet? I love hearing y'all stories and I can continue to use y'all s advice and experiences. I'm not gone give up I'm just gonna slow down.I can't go back to how terribly I was eating anyway...this morning I could have had a pancake breakfast at work but I actually passed it up for my normal whole 30 breakfast because it made me so much more alert and I feel so much better after eating it!!

So. . .I am heartbroken (in a non romantic way).  I found out that our turkey on Thanksgiving was fried in peanut oil.  I lost everything I had done.  We NEVER have a fried turkey so it didn't really occur to me to think about it.  I lost everything I did.  And the brussel sprouts had butter on them instead of olive oil.

Ask me how annoyed I am.  In my brain everything is lost.  So now I am still doing the plan, but have to restart my countdown which will be December 26th.  

I'm still gonna hang out with ya'll.  If that's okay.  

Oh Smileepants, bummer. I guess the lesson is, ask about ingredients before eating anyone else's cooking, not after.

But IMHO you did not “lose everythingâ€. Any day that you are whole30 compliant was a good day for your body. You have all those days in the bank, you have already improved your health and given your body some rest.

Each of us is doing a whole30 for ourselves and nobody else. It's easy to get caught up in the rules and the opinions on the forums, and start to feel peer pressure from outside, and feel like we are in a graded situation or trying to pass a test. But we are not.

The point of the program is very simple: take 30 consecutive days off from certain foods. Find out what happens when you add them back. If we want to do that, it doesn't matter whether we ate something by accident or on purpose. It still got in our body, and it still requires 30 more days to get it out for 30 days.

Nevertheless, I'll say it again, any day you eat whole30 foods is a good, healthy day for your body and should NOT be considered a waste!

Chin up, dive back in, start your 30 day countdown over, and stay with us!

I feel so bummed for you Smilee, it wasn't even like you tried to cheat.......it just frikkin' happened...........sucks!  Anyway, I am dying for some energy..........I want the magic and I still don't have it.  I am tired in the evenings, so tired that I can barely get to 9 p.m.  Sleeping has been more sound but I have not found it easier to fall asleep!  (i'm not a great sleeper).  I was proud of myself this evening, I put on my jeans and went to the store so that tomorrow is an awesome food day ......i'm down to bare bones on everything and knew that if I woke up unprepared, it would go downhill fast!  I went out for lunch today and had a plain (with oregano and olive oil) kebab with greek salad, no dressing and no feta cheese.........so boring..........but I made it happen.  Made lettuce burgers for dinner (Blue Goose Cattle Company.  Ingredients:  100% organic ground beef) with carmelized onions (a la Ghee), spinach and mayo!  

Can everyone start posting their meals coz I need new ideas!  

Want a reason to hate me:  I finished my Xmas shopping today - shizam!!!!!  

Nicky "don't hate me cuz I'm done shopping", lol! Me too - AND it's all in the mail as of the day before Tday - whew! Now I can enjoy The Season Of Anticipation. Sounds like you are in the tired phase predicted for days 6&7. Every body is different, I hope you are back out of it soon! I sure agree with the boredom thing. I decided it was time to add curries to my one-skillet meals and fish salads. So I got 4 flavors of Mae Ploy curry paste: red, yellow, green, and mussamun (their panang has mungbeans in it so it's not compliant). I just got 'em so have only tried the mussamun but really liked it. The rest of the recipe was a can of coconut milk, a can of water chestnuts, a can of bamboo shoots, a pound of all-the-caveats chicken thighs, then chopped red bell peppers, cauliflower, onions, and shredded carrots to fill the pot.

Nicky, check out this site:  www.wholelifeeating.com

I've been scouring for recipes.  I find what I want, I print it (Yes, I still love printed recipes) and then I figure what I'm going to eat when and make my shopping list from that.  Tomorrow I am going to make cauliflower rice, ground buffalo stuffed peppers.  I came up with this one on my own.

I like cauliflower okay, but I don't LOOOOVEEEEE it.  And I definitely do not like it mashed, but I just found a recipe for a mexican cauliflower rice.  You grate or food process the cauliflower until it is the texture of rice.  Using ghee saute` onions, scallions for flavor, red bell pepper and a little garlic if you want or maybe you like cilantro.  Once sauteed put the cauliflower in with cumin, add a tablespoon of water and a lid over it.  Let is steam for 20 minutes or so until it's done.  Delicious.  I made it today for my family and there was none left over.  None.  My sister went back for more and it was gone.  My sister in law hates cauliflower and asked me to give the recipe to my brother so he could cook it for her.  

So, thinking of that cauliflower I decided to brown up ground buffalo, put the cauliflower with it uncooked and then stuff peppers with it and bake until done.  I could put chopped up mushrooms in it and I guess tomato paste for that stuffed pepper taste, but i'm not quite sure yet.  

Thanks for the encouraging words, KJ.  I'm sticking around and on plan taking it day by day.  Seems easy that way.  

Hello...........where is everyone?   Have you all dropped off the planet zen and are in la la land, or have you left me here flailing alone on this journey!  Day 18 people, hello?  I can't believe it.  I've kinda got to the part of the plan where I feel so good, i'm afraid of the end.  What will the end mean for me and will it always take me about 16 - 18 days to feel this way again.  So I wanna know:  (1)  what will you consume first?  (2) what do you vow to keep forever at the end and (3) what did you try and like that you never thought you would?

(1)  a glass of wine

(2)  I wanna stick to this way of eating but with the occasional glass of wine

(3)  coconut cream!

Voila, let's check in lovelies!  

Nicky, I'm here.  Just been running like a mad woman and have forgotten to check in.  I missed the Whole30 newsletter.  Where do you get that?!  Seems like I don't know my way around this site yet and keep missing big things.

Roasting a turkey right now--didn't get enough for Thanksgiving. 

I can't answer your questions yet because I'm not into it like you are now.  I haven't tried anything new yet, but just printed out a recipe with butternut squash and ground beef.  Gonna be making it soon and I"ll let you know.  I think the first thing I MIGHT want when I get done with my Whole30 is an ice cream.  But right now, I'm not really craving anything.  I'm not 100% either.  I start again the day after Christmas which is why I'm getting all of my recipes together now.  I will NOT make the mistake of being sabotaged (unprepared) again.

Also here! Been wandering around other topics in the forums... it did seem like everyone got quiet but I figured it was the long weekend. The only result I'm having is the dreaded "tighter pants" predicted for day 8 or so. Smilee-pal, the newsletter is a paid thing called the Whole30 daily. I also get it but since I reset myself I'm only on day 10... when they reset me, they gave me another day 0 which I didn't need so it's a day behind me. Doesn't matter though, every day has some good reminders.

Remember I said I was going to add curries? Well, I got lots of Thai Kitchen organic coconut milk... and YUCK, the guar gum taste totally overwhelms the flavor. I guess that means I will be using a larger portion of curry paste :o

PS (1) Aged cheddar cheese from Ireland! (2) avocado oil mayo! (3) sweet potatoes – I have always disliked them but now they're good buddies!

The last 24 hours has been hard, and I am not quite sure why!  My cravings for sugar have been crazy.  I made myself a good healthy dinner last night and the craving went away.  I guess I was just hungry and my body started craving the very quick fix.  I continue to feel like a million bucks (green and crinkly - just kidding), and cannot believe that I have done this for 20 days.  Tonight is a night out and I have preplanned and am bullet proof.  This week at work was hell with everyone doing cookie exchange etc.  Not that I have eaten cookies in a very long time (gluten free), but the smell of freshly baked cookies still triggers the same response in my brain - YUMMY!  Oh and one more thing, I wake in the morning SOOOOO hungry that my stomach thinks my throat has been cut.  I take this to be a very good thing because it helps me to get food in my belly right away.........I fear that soon I will be waking up at 5 a.m. to satisfy this hunger!  How are you all getting through the constant eat-a-thon that is pre-Christmas?  Tell me your strategies!

Nicky I have the same Waking Up Starving thing! My strategy may not appeal much - I make sure my sardines 'n' greens meal is always in the fridge awaiting me. I don't know why but I continue to love that - here's my "recipe" -

Fill your bowl to about the 1 cup mark with steamed kale (and or spinach, chard etc) chopping it with your kitchen shears as it goes into the bowl (were the kale raw, it would be way more than 2c worth). Stir in 3.75oz Season Brand Sardines in pure olive oil AND the liquid from the can (ingredients sardines, olive oil, and salt; wild, sustainable, certified by Friend of the Sea, skinless, boneless, no BPA, about 1300mg Omega3's per can). Mix the olive oil, sardines and kale together - the oil will magically disappear - and yum it up.

I edited to add the word MAYO to my answers to your 3 questions above - 'tain't the avo oil so much as the astonishing home mayo made with it -

TWENTY days! Yeah baby! It makes sense that our bodies are craving suger, never went so long without I suppose - mine is screaming, and I dream about candy... this from a girl who has never cared for chocolate, or candy, or sweet things in general. Always rather have an extra piece of protein than a sweet. But now? My brain is saying You Fool! The brain works on glucose! I'll pull any little trick I can to get you to provide me with some!!!!!!!!!!

My only strategy is to eat lots of the real stuff before being faced with the temptations, but I'm now thinking any other time of the year would have been a better, or let's say easier, choice for this.

I love reading what you two are writing.  I'm getting all of my ducks in a row and trying to figure out when to start.  I want to start again NOW, but after reading so many things I just think it's counter productive.  What's so funny is that I don't even feel like it would be hard to stay on plan--that's how much I want to do it.  But as soon as I get 10 days into it someone is going to walk in my door with a chocolate covered peanut butter ball and I will cry.  I'm also taking this time to stock up on grassfed/free range meat and eggs so that when I start going to the store it won't be me trying to buy a weeks worth of food and having sticker shock.  

Have you ever seen the success stories on www.marksdailyapple.com?  Oh my goodness are they encouraging.  Wow.  His program seems a bit too hard for me to want to undertake right away. Measuring micro and macro nutrients and blah, blah, blah. . .but I did find those stories just what I needed to really get me ramped up.  

I'm dying to try sardines.  And I still haven't undertaken the mayo yet.  I'm scared.  

I'm so jelly of you two being at day 20.  I would be on 18.  Ugh.  But so very, very happy for you.  But not happy about your cravings.  Booooo.  

Rock on--you can do it.

J

Hi Smilee! I too have switched to a meal-by-meal strategy. I've dropped the whole idea of what day this is, and am simply evaluating each meal to meet whole30 guidelines without a stop date.

I'm staying active on the forums and working toward understanding what it is about this particular plan that's creating the unheard-of cravings, bloating, headaches, general malaise, etc. that have been constant since day one. I believe in the theory implicitly. But this is my third time through an elimination diet and the results are puzzling.

The first time (GAPS, but sans dairy) I felt amazingly better by the second day, and really never felt better than the three months I was on it. The second time (Junger's book Clean, but sans grains and sweeteners) I felt fab by day 5. At this point in the Whole30 (day 8+18), I feel like my entire food outlook is changing in the exact opposite direction to that desired.

I have never had a sweet tooth, I have always bypassed the bakery and craved meat and veggies, never cared much for fruit even, loved herbs and spices and strong flavors. Haven't eaten wheat, corn or soy for years. Now I am craving bread and sweet stuff. I don't have the option of clearing my house of non-compliant food, so I'm around all this stuff I never cared about before and suddenly it seems irresistible. Nuts!

I also think I'm fighting the mental pressure of "restriction". It's not hard to make the decision meal by meal, but it turns out that vowing a certain time frame just makes me hyper focused on the time frame instead of the plan. It doesn't feel any different than the tyranny of the scale – weighing every day and seeing slow or no progress… counting every day and seeing slow or no progress… it's too small a measurement for me.

So I'm going for the mental freedom of choosing a whole30 meal, one at a time. For as long as I do.

Nicky, our bright and shining star and Last Lady Standing, how are you doing?

Archived