Calling All November 18 Starters

KJ!

• Moderators

I'm so hooked on Primal Body Primal Mind; completely riveted.  The beginning and halfway through are very sciencey, but the practical advice is incredible.  Knowing the science behind it is helpful, but I do skip some parts.  I am testing some of the food suggestions and my body is positively responding.  Did you know that the body turns too much protein to sugar and we really only need about 6 ounces of protein a day when eating plenty of the right fats?  That was a complete revelation to me and I was so skeptical until I tried it.  And I'll be darned if it isn't true.  This book is what I've been looking for my whole life.  Oh. . .and the part about exercise.  WOW. 

I don't have a copy of Primal Body, Primal Mind to check, but you may be over-simplifying things. There is no such thing as a valid, one-size fits all recommendation for daily protein consumption. And seriously, 6 ounces of protein is not enough for a normal adult.

Big, active people need more protein than small, inactive people. This is why the Whole9 meal template - http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf - recommends that you eat a serving of protein as big as the palm of your hand at meals. This guidance means that bigger people eat bigger portions than tiny people. And activity levels matter too, so the meal template recommends that pre-workout meals include up to a half-size portion of protein and post-workout meals include a full, palm-size portion, so that someone who was exercising would eat roughly 4.5 palm-size servings of protein that day. And beyond that, due to activity levels and metabolic differences, some people need to eat more than one palm-size portion per meal. They may need to eat as many as two palm-size portions per meal. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Oh Smilee I am a sucker for the science-y stuff. I just ordered my book and it should be here Friday (I love that Amazon Prime thing). Er YEAH, protein is stored as sugar??? Awk! I have been a protein fiend all my life. Maybe I just found out why. 

Careful! Eating protein is nothing like eating sugar. Your body can turn protein into blood glucose when it needs it, but that is a good thing because your brain runs on glucose. You may want to review It Starts With Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig to get clear on how the food-body thing really works.

KJ,  get into Primal Mind/Primal body and tell me what you think.  Since you love sciencey stuff you'll probably be better off than me with much of the information.  I had to skip some stuff.  

At this point I'll carry my discussions of the book offline--at least off this line with you if you are interested.  I'll still be on here for whole30 stuff.

:D

Smilee, no you didn't say that!

Tom, we appreciate your stance as Defender of the Kingdom here. I don't have the book in question yet so don't know what it actually says. I'm energized by the many new voices saying very similar things about our food supply and our physical needs. ISWF is not the only voice out there, and I haven't stopped reading because I've read it.

But so far in my extensive reading, it is certainly the gold standard for the sciency-stuff!

Archived