Calling All November 18 Starters

KJ!

Welcome Irish! (Can I call you Irish?) We have start dates spread out a little and I think that will add to the fun. Your success from last time you did this is already encouraging me, and your tips are happily anticipated!

Hi Ella! I did one stir fry with 1lb ground beef, 1lb tomatoes, 1lb green beans, fresh ginger, ginger powder, garlic powder, paprika; and am adding half an avocado each day I have it. The other is 8oz cubed chicken, fresh garlic (one head, peeled and squunched), and a market bunch of tatsoi, all cooked in about 2T coconut oil and a teaspoon of Red Boat fish sauce – my first use of it – has anyone else tried the Red Boat? I was very leery of fish sauce, have never used it, but it really added depth.

I hope your results convince your hubby to reconsider grain-free living! My hubby and I have a phase-out plan, over the next 8 months. He's getting blood work done in a couple of weeks. Afterwards I will start phasing out his non-compliant foods, very slowly. We plan to have him eating the way I do by three months before his next (annual) bloodwork. Then he'll have how he feels, how he looks and how his stats have changed to inform his food decisions.

Ella – we'll always love hearing from you, no matter how short, and we will attribute any and all typos to the baby!!

Nicky, I agree with Ella that a hard-boiled egg, maybe with a carrot and homemade mayo, would make a good holdover. Do you have a dehydrator? We make our own jerky from inexpensive round steak sliced thin – no seasonings – done until crispy. Then you'd need a few crudities, maybe jicama or daikon radish, and a little fat – mayo again, or guacamole? I know the ideal is waiting 4 or 5 snack-free hours between meals, but from personal experience I can tell you waiting until your stomach is crawling up your throat is too long. If I let that happen my digestion is out for the rest of the day.

Ellen, I love your links. Keep ‘em coming and let us know how CrossFit goes tomorrow!

Here's wishing EVERYONE a successful and happy day!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all!!! I tried to join yesterday but dont think it worked! My name is Christina andI live in Colorado Spring with my hubby and two of our kiddos, age4 and 6. I read the book a little over a week ago but cheated a little so started hard core yesterday! Excited! Dealing with a little dizziness which is frustrating, but hopefuly it wont last long :-( Looking foward to the journey!

Yay Christina! Congrats on your "hard core" start, and good luck with that dizzyness. Hope you can take it easy until that lets up. Hey - just remembered that dizzyness can be a sign of dehydration. How is your liquid intake??

Laura, did you find the recipe? Do you have the Well Fed and It Starts With Food books?

Hello everyone,

I'm glad to see we all have similiar challenges to deal with and it sure will be inspiring for me to read how you face them :-)

My biggest challenge are the mornings. I have very little time so I often tend to skip breakfast. I tell myself that I can get a healthy snack after dropping of my daughter at preschool. And then, by the time she's playing with her friends, I'm so hungry I don't even care about healthy or not anymore. I find myself running into the next bakery to grab something overloaded with sugar and wheat. Everytime I swear to myself that my next meal will be a healthy salad, but forget about that! Until I go to bed I want nothing else but sugar - and a lot of that!

So I need to fill my freezer with breakfast-options that I can defrost over night and quickly reheat and eat on the go. I made a batch of salmon cakes (recipe in "It starts with food"). They were so good that I had four right of the baking sheet. I froze the rest and had some yesterday morning and with an apple. Delicious! And the best thing: I felt satisfied until lunchtime - no need to snack on sugary stuff. So my first day has been okay.

This morning I had the salmon cakes too, and again I loved how they taste. I will prepare a double batch tonight. And I will make meatballs, so I have enough food to cover 2 weeks of breakfast.

For dinner we eat a lot of dishes with ground meat, because it's quite affordable and versatile. I love to make "hot plates" like in "Well Fed". Quick and delicious.

Usually I try to set up a meal plan for the week, and it makes life so much easier, but now with he baby around I find it hard to take time for that, since he isn't sleeping all day anymore and needs more attention. But I'll work that out!

KJ, stir fry sounds good! What ingredients did you use?

mamaellen, how was your first whole 30? I think you're really brave to do a 45 over christmas season! How does yor family support you? I didn't know the workouts, I'll have to check them out!

Laura, me too I started a few times, and then didn't stick to it. I think joining a group helps tremendously, especially when you don't get a lot of support from family and friends.

nickym, 6 hours from breakfast to lunch is long! Maybe you can eat a hard boiled egg or something like that in between? For the sake of your first graders ;-)

Gabe, I loved reading what you wrote about your whole 30-attempts. When was your 3rd attempt an did you regain any oft the weight you had lost?

irishtemple, I'm glad to hear that you felt so good after your first whole 30! My daughter is 3 years old too :-) Sounds challenging to cook for your husband! My husband eats whatever I cook without any complaint, but he can't imagine life without bread, cheese and yogurt, so these things are always around in our kitchen. I would love to raise my kids gluten-free, but this idea makes him freak out. He believes gluten-free let alone grain-free eating is only for sick people and that I'm hurting my daughter if I banish gluten from her diet. Sigh...

I really want to contribute to the forum once a day! I'll do my best, but since most of the time I have to type with one hand while holding the baby, or type on my cell phone my posts will most definetely not be as long as I'd like them to be. And there will be lots of typos, too. I apologize for that!

Looking forward to read how your second day has been going!

Ella, having prepared breakfast options sounds like a great way for you to combat the time issue :) I think your salmon cakes have some sweet potato, but maybe try to add some more vegies - aim for 2-3 cups with every meal, and perhaps a bit of fat? Mayo would probably go brilliantly on your salmon cakes and meatballs :)

Hey everyone!

2 days under our belts! Only 28 more days to go!!!

One question: I've seen a few people mention that we aren't supposed to snack on Whole 30. Where did you find this information? I have searched the site and can't find it anywhere! My book doesn't arrive in the mail until tomorrow (I'm sure it talks about snacking in the book).

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

2 days under our belts! Only 28 more days to go!!!

One question: I've seen a few people mention that we aren't supposed to snack on Whole 30. Where did you find this information? I have searched the site and can't find it anywhere! My book doesn't arrive in the mail until tomorrow (I'm sure it talks about snacking in the book).

Thanks!

The template says to not snack if you can help it:

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

If you're starving between meals, have a mini meal of protein fat and vegies.... You should be able to make if from one meal to the next if you're really sticking to the template and getting plenty of protein and fat, as well as 2-3 cups of vegies

Day 2 is almost done! I went to bed with a headache and woke up with one, the last time it happened on day 3.

Ella- I have not weighed myself, in fact I was thinking about weighing myself tomorrow so it can be the start of this whole 30. I am still able to wear my loose fitting clothes, they feel just a tad fitted than before but nowhere near as prior to the whole 30.

Today I made an ox tail veggie soup and it was very good, its a recipe from mexico. I have plenty of left overs for the week.

One of my co-workers went to the biggest loser camp in july and has now joined me on this whole 30, she weighed herself and I actually forgot to tell her not to and she was down 3lb, she was very happy but I did tell her its probably water and not to weigh again.

I am having a hard time figuring out what to eat for breakfast, I need to eat something else other than eggs and hash.

Last night I made the best dinner and everyone ate it, including the kids!  I browned some grass-fed ground beef and then added coconut milk and curry powder, let it simmer to reduce the liquid and then added some baked yam (btw, the best way to cook yam is to shove it whole into the crockpot (with a tbsp of water on the bottom) and leave it all day) to make it go a little further and served it over cabbage that I pan-fried in ghee!  Yums

I woke up this morning feeling like I had been hit by a truck.  My body aches and I have a cough (hope I'm not getting sick, but I will prevail).  As well, I haven't actually been very hungry which is making me worried (i'm always hungry).  Anyway, onward and upward.........bring on Day 3.  First graders in tact!

Idrink tons of water that is definatly not my problem with the dizziness. I am def taking it easy though. 

Tonight I made the hommade mayo, ranch and avadoco dip from the book, has anyone else tried it? AMAZING!!!!Hubby and his friends ate all of it I have to make more tomorrow!!!

Idrink tons of water that is definatly not my problem with the dizziness. I am def taking it easy though.

Tonight I made the hommade mayo, ranch and avadoco dip from the book, has anyone else tried it? AMAZING!!!!Hubby and his friends ate all of it I have to make more tomorrow!!!

Dizziness suggests perhaps not enough food, or possibly salt. What have you been eating?

Lets see...Yesterday for bfast I had a handful of walnuts and apple, for lunch I had spagetti squash "spagetti", (a good size, I never really feel hungry during the day) then in the afternoon I had three snack trying to get the diziness away (raspberry-spinach-apple juice smoothies, handful of pistachios, banana) None of which helped. Then for dinner I ate hommade sausage, chicken, hommade avacado and ranch dressing from book with carrots, green and yellow peppers and grape tomatoes! All I drink is water adn I drink LOTS!!

Lets see...Yesterday for bfast I had a handful of walnuts and apple, for lunch I had spagetti squash "spagetti", (a good size, I never really feel hungry during the day) then in the afternoon I had three snack trying to get the diziness away (raspberry-spinach-apple juice smoothies, handful of pistachios, banana) None of which helped. Then for dinner I ate hommade sausage, chicken, hommade avacado and ranch dressing from book with carrots, green and yellow peppers and grape tomatoes! All I drink is water adn I drink LOTS!!

have you got a copy of the meal template?

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

your dinner was the only compliant meal you ate - every single meal needs to have 1-2 palms of protein, 1-2 serves of fat, and 2-3 cups of vegetables.

fruit and nuts are not a meal, and smoothies are discouraged as you should be chewing your food, not drinking it. you need to eat more! Snacking is also discouraged - if you stick to the three meals and eat according to the template, you will unlikely need to snack as you'll be satisfied between meals.

you could be drinking too much water, and if you're not adding salt, you may not be holding any water and hydrating yourself.

Gabe, the “stir fry ahead†thing has been working well for me for b'fast. I cook up a batch, ideally somewhere around a pound of meat and six cups of veggies, divide it into three portions, put them in the fridge. In the morning I get one out, flop it in a pan, and I'm eating a hot meal with the right protein-veg-fat ratio in less than ten minutes.

I posted two possibilities here earlier – the ginger beef needs half an avocado added at serving, the garlic chicken had the right amount of coconut oil in it. I had time to do a “lunch and leftovers†stir fry yesterday so here is my third go at pre-made breakfasts: 24oz ground turkey, 12oz shredded carrots, one large yellow onion chopped, 1c fresh cranberries (ripe and organic in my farm store now!), rubbed sage, ground coriander cardamom and nutmeg.

This is so easy I may break the night's fast this way for the rest of my days.

How cool that you have someone local whole30-ing with you!

Christina, maybe this could work for you as well. If you have the right ratios in something premade, you can avoid any decision-making. For me it's very helpful to have those veggies already mixed in with the meat. Check out the instructions in the book on page 263, one-skillet meals – that's exactly what I'm doing. Easiest breakfast veggies for me are carrots, cauliflower, any kind of braising greens, onions, sweet potato, tomatoes, green beans – all cooked. I'm not ready for raw until mid-day.

Nicky, your dinner sounds yummy! Hit by a truck, I sympathize. Having something of that myself today. Are you getting the Whole30 Daily? The one this morning had some interesting stuff about what our bodies are going through this first week making us more susceptible to getting sick. They also talk about needing to eat even though you are not hungry!!

I am just the opposite on that… hungry all the time, even while I'm eating. Something going on in my stomach chemistry that my brain is interpreting as hunger but food has no effect on, since I'm eating plenty. Certainly hope THAT changes soon!

Thanks so much for the advice yall!! For bfast this morning I had grilled pork, spinach and egg omlet. unfortunatly got sick as a dog...happens whenever I eat eggs :-( not sure why btu really hoping this whole 30 experiment clears it up, it just started begeining of the year doing that. Do yall know of anyone who had food allergies cleared up?

Also, I had a spinach/ bluberry/ coconut oil smoothie for bfast. I know Im not supposed to have smoothies but I was at a loss for fitting more veggies....eating the fried spinach and pprk was hard enough as it was!!!!I will have to check out those skillit meals and hopefully find somethign I can deal with in the morning!

and isnt too much salt bad?

No!

Well...too much refined processed salt is. It's highly unlikely you'd over salt your own food, I think your taste buds would give you a good idea if your food is too salty.

Just one article:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/salt-what-is-it-good-for/#axzz2kI4NjrO5

I use a good quality salt - Celtic or Himalayan - on all my meals.

Thanks so much for the advice yall!! For bfast this morning I had grilled pork, spinach and egg omlet. unfortunatly got sick as a dog...happens whenever I eat eggs :-( not sure why btu really hoping this whole 30 experiment clears it up, it just started begeining of the year doing that. Do yall know of anyone who had food allergies cleared up?

Also, I had a spinach/ bluberry/ coconut oil smoothie for bfast. I know Im not supposed to have smoothies but I was at a loss for fitting more veggies....eating the fried spinach and pprk was hard enough as it was!!!!I will have to check out those skillit meals and hopefully find somethign I can deal with in the morning!

Many people are unable to tolerate eggs - don't eat them if they make you sick! You don't have to eat eggs - try other protein, many people have leftovers. Starchy vegies may go down well for breakfast - roasted vegies are easy to prepare in bulk. Soups would be an easy way to get more vegies in as well.

I personally hate cooked spinach ...for breakfast I make a kind of ratatouille that I put in an omelette with herbs, and steamed broccoli on the side with mayo. Sometimes I have green vegie curry with chicken, using coconut milk in the sauce.

Gabe, felt way better this morning......but still fighting something.  Breakfast was delicious this morning, grated 2 zuchinni's, 2 handfuls of spinach, 2 eggs and 1/2 an avocado!  Kept me going for hours.  Missing gum so much......I feel like a beaver that needs to sharpen his teeth on a log..........and diet coke......oh my god....my friend, I miss you!  So thirsty.....drinking tons of water!  How is it that it has only been 3 days......(it feels like 33).  And yes, I do get the Daily......it's awesome!

My headaches are better, had a very minor one this am. Yesterday I saw my son eating chocolate chip cookies with milk, I was so ready to snag that cookie out of his hand but I walked away..sigh

This second whole 30 is by far so much easier than the first one, I missed so much the first time that I would dream of it! Now, I am looking forward to that healthy feeling again, I just have to figure out something new for breakfast, eggs are getting old and I cant eat veggies for breakfast.

Hope everyone is doing well! Today is day 5!!!

urgh....I have to start again tomorrow :-( Today was hubbys bday and we ate a Red Robin. I had the DGB burger (no bun) and fries...but had ketchup adn really who knwo what that stuff was cooked in I didnt ask. I had arough couple of days as it is...this has been so tough on me, I have felt tired, and dizzy and seems overwhelming finding new things to eat everyday, especially when I am not used to preparing them....so when I got hom I had a few beers adn listened to christmas music. So....I have to start over :-( So frustirating. but I WILL get this. I have never wanted something so badly.

mrs Joslyn - you don't have to start again tomorrow, you want to start again tomorrow :)

make it easier for yourself and cook in bulk - instead of making one serve of a dish, make 2 or 3 so you can eat it later that day, or the next day. if you have something you can freeze, make lots of serves and portion it out so you always have something on hand. this will cut down on time spent thinking about what to eat, and time spent preparing.

tiredness is normal, but if you're dizzy, that could be a sign of not eating enough, not drinking enough, or not getting enough salt. eat plenty of protein and fats, and include starchy vegies in your vegie intake.

if the fries you ate were normal fries, they weren't compliant as white potato isn't allowed during your whole 30. commercially available sweet potato fries are generally out as well as they are usually coated in "stuff" that isn't compliant. eating out is hard, but if you ask the right questions and stick to simple options, it is possible - you just need to be prepared! I find looking up the menus beforehand the best option. I will even contact the place to ask questions about how their food is prepared to make the visit less hassle.

DOH! I forgot about the white potatos! So much to think about! I will def needto try the bulk thing.....today for luunch I was at a loss and the internet is so overwhelming with recipes I just get flustered before I start...so i went to my Starts With Food book and tried one of the soup recipes, since I had all the stuff on hand. SO good. I think I will go back to basics starting tomorrow, and instead of finding crazy recipes online, go with the guidelines fromthe books and start there. Bfast is by far still the hardest since I cannot eat eggs, but I will keep trying.

Archived