(No)weight loss

Oats mom

I am at a loss here... I've been paleo for a year with ups and downs... But for the most part im very compliant... But for this past 3 months I've been 90% paleo at the least but I can't seem to lose a pound. I don't weigh but my clothes aren't fitting as well... The only thing I don't do is work out much.. I have some injuries... I'm limited to walking but I just joined the gym again and plan to work out 3x a week... But one of the nice things about paleo is that for the first time in my life I never felt like I need to justify my eating by working out since what I am putting in is always healthy... So why am I not losing weight? I have about 20 lbs I want to lose... What am I doing wrong? I have cut out nuts and dried fruit a month ago but noting has changed...

Have you recently completed a Whole30? If so, can you post 2-3 days' worth of your food log so folks here can give you feedback? Also, how much nightly sleep do you get, on average?

Have you experienced any positive results from your Whole30?

Just did a whole 30 about 45 days ago

I am pretty much a creature of habit and my meals are relatively the same they consist of

Breakfast usually 2 to 3 eggs and sugar free salsa occasionally two slices of nitrate free sugar-free bacon

Midafternoon snack piece of fruit generally an apple

Lunch usually leftover from dinner the night before meat and vegetable of some sort or a nitrate free lunch meat on pepper of some sort

Afternoon snack plantains or a handful of nuts and dried fruit although I have recently stopped eating that

Dinner healthy lean cuts of meat or fish and vegetable

If I work I usually have some sort of snack when I get home which is on medication something made of brown rice which doesn't happen very often maybe once or twice a week

My sheets so to speak are a dollop of cream straight from the farm in my teach morning and eight in the evening as well and only in the morning do I add 1 teaspoon of maple syrup to my team otherwise I drink it with just the dollop of cream on occasion I do have something with brown rice usually maybe three times a week not a lot of it

As for sleep I get 5 to 6 hours a night

Within the last month I diminish the amount of fruit that I eat as well as nuts and especially dried fruit thinking that that was the culprit

I do have a bad habit of feeling as though I need to eat something when driving however whatever I do for up to take with me is Paleo and not in excess

A few things stand out to me:

- Your lack of sleep. The importance of rest is really underestimated, and get 7-8 hours sleep a night will do you the world of good. Try setting up new night time habits and go to bed earlier. Turning off electronic devices may get you more in the mood for rest and allow you a better nights sleep.

- the lack of fat in your meals, and the regular snacking. You don't mention the addition of any fats, and you mention using lean cuts of meat. You need fat for good health! Adding fat, and making sure you're eating 2-3 cups of vegies per meal along with your protein will keep you more satisfied between meals and probably allow you to stop the snacking.

I'm not sure why you need to eat whilst driving? Can you not focus your attention on the road? Turn on the radio and sing? Have a bottle of water to sip? Change the habit, don't take food in the car with you. You'll likely benefit from not eating the car, and sitting down to eat mindfully.

In addition to Amber's feedback, I would add the following:

- if your goal is to lose weight, I'd suggest dropping the bacon (perhaps give this a try for 30 days),

- snacks should be a mini-meal including at least a protein and fat.  Eat fruit only with or immediately after a meal.

- I would confirm that your lunch meat is free of carrageenan and other nasties.  If it's not, I'd switch to something else for your protein source.

Consider doing another Whole30 with these changes, following the meal template (protein/veg/fat) at every meal http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf, with zero cheats you describe (e.g., no cream, maple syrup or rice).

I do need to work on the sleep I know, I will try but it's hard.... I only have the evenings to get things accomplished including meal planning...

As for fats I do cook with coconut oil, ghee and or olive oil... I eat clean grass fed cow, chicken and pork only I love veggies and eat the with every meal except breakfast. I try to limit fruit to before noon as well. I am also a gastric bypass patient 13 years post op so large meals are hard for me... As for water I am very bad about that

The snacking when driving is a bad habit I need to break and I just need to bite the bullet and stop after all I have done so much to clean up my eating and other bad habits in the past yr...

Thanks everyone I will try all of the advice!

cooking fat wont count for a lot as most will be left in the pan - try following the template for adding fat to your meal.

if you can't eat big enough meals because of your surgery, plan for more smaller meals - 4 or 5 a day. Make them good meals though, with protein, fats and vegies not just fruit and/or nuts.

I do need to work on the sleep I know, I will try but it's hard.... I only have the evenings to get things accomplished including meal planning...

As for fats I do cook with coconut oil, ghee and or olive oil... I eat clean grass fed cow, chicken and pork only I love veggies and eat the with every meal except breakfast. I try to limit fruit to before noon as well. I am also a gastric bypass patient 13 years post op so large meals are hard for me... As for water I am very bad about that

The snacking when driving is a bad habit I need to break and I just need to bite the bullet and stop after all I have done so much to clean up my eating and other bad habits in the past yr...

Thanks everyone I will try all of the advice!

Gastric bypass patient might be the key here for you.  Not sure how… but it jumps out at me.  I agree with only eating meals and not snack foods.  Amazing how the portions get out of control that way.  Stick to a template as tight as you can for 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference.  Plateaus happen in every weight loss journey.  

Getting that work out going again has a great chance of helping.  Doing some circuits and strength training to your best ability.  Good luck!  I know it is frustrating.

Archived